PDA

View Full Version : Will Klasse work on fibergalss gelcoat

Pages : [1] 2

davidc
05-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I have tried Meguiars, Liquid Glass, Protect all and other various products on my 5th wheel trailer with limited success. I think I read somewhere to use Klasse AIO on painted surfaces only. The 5th wheel is 32' long and a lot of real estate to cover. The Arizona climate wreaks havoc with the gelcoat and I usually have to resort to a buffer and fiberglass restorer to get the oxidized particles off and restore the color and shine. Klasse AIO and the sealant with the polycharger looks like it could save me some grief as I do not look forward to waxing this behemoth every 3 to 6 months, especially when the 110 to 118 degree days arrive. The trailer is exposed to the elements 24hrs a day 365 days a year. All comments and recommendations appreciated.

Dave

davidc
05-17-2010, 04:21 AM
nobody knows?

rohnramirez
05-17-2010, 05:02 AM
First question..is the fiberglass gelcoat painted? If so, i would answer yes to your question.

ScottB
05-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I have heard of some using it on boats , can you test a small spot first ??

davidc
05-17-2010, 03:38 PM
No paint. I do not know exactly how the RV manufacturers build these things and what they add to the fiberglass and gelcoat to arrive at a white trailer. I think the gelcoat with the uv rays starts breaking down similar to paint but this stuff is like armor plating to get the oxidized stuff off. Right now I have a test panel with Liquid Glass and topped with Zaino clear seal and another panel with Zaino Z2, the rest of the trailer has Protect all for now. I have been reading up on Klasse and it sounds like something that may work as doing the complete trailer with Zaino may cost a small fortune. I will ultimately use what works at a reasonable price. Right now I do not have any Klasse products to try so I figured I would ask the first question before buying something that may not work for what I want.

Dave

Mike Phillips
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Dave,

Sorry no one answered you question sooner, looks like you posted it on Sunday, (I was off that day), and I saw it earlier today but there's usually something going on behind the scenes to stay busy with which means it's hard to keep up with the forum all the time.

Sounds like the environment your 5th Wheel Trailer is exposed to is always going to be a problem. I lived in Apple Valley, California, which is part of the Mojave Desert and the sun is destructive and relentless on anything it shines down on.

To be honest, I don't think in the environment your 5th Wheel Trailer is exposed to that any micron thin coating of any companies product is going to solve the problem or even meet your expectations. It's not that your expectations are too high, it's just the sun is too cruel.

The best protection from the sun would be some type of cover, whether that's a cover made out of material like a car cover or tarp, or an actual structure to park your 5th Wheel Trailer under.

A layer of wax or sealant is measured in microns after you wipe off the excess and even sub-microns, so even the most UV protection you can find won't be enough for the kind of exposure you're battling when it's that thin.

I would like to post a more fun and happy answer and promote a product that will solve the problem 100% but I'm just not sure technology is at this point yet.

:)

davidc
05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, I do have an Adco cover for the trailer Mike. I did not state this because I only used it for a few months as it causes as much or more destruction than the sun. With something this large and covered with a parachute it does not take much wind to start billowing which then rubs everything. The ideal would be enclosed but that will not happen. I am still curious about the Klasse while the other 2 panels are undergoing the not so scientific test. Maybe I will see if I can find a different cover other than the Adco Tyvek cover.

Dave

Mike Phillips
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I do have an Adco cover for the trailer Mike. I did not state this because I only used it for a few months as it causes as much or more destruction than the sun. With something this large and covered with a parachute it does not take much wind to start billowing which then rubs everything.

Dave

I understand the issues with wind and scratching with covers, I've owned a few boats in my life and there have been times when I had no structure to park them in so they are covered with tarps and when they come out of storage I always have to undo the damage done by the wind and abrasive dirt that gets trapped between the tarp and the surface of the boat.

Not fun, hate doing it but better than nothing sometimes...

Keep us updated on your experiment, especially if you track the results over time as I'm sure your findings will help others in the future.

:)

rohnramirez
05-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I am no fiberglass expert, but there are resins that dry white. Sorry we don't have RVs or trailers in my country so i had to ask. But based on your description of the finish, the Klasse will definitely work. But as Mike has said, a sealant has its limits. Even multiple coats of a sealant would still need maintenance. :)

clm65
05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I just polished my fiberglass boat this past weekend with Klasse AIO, This is my first time trying it on the boat, so I can't offer any meaningful results yet, but I did read several positive comments about it on a boating forum I'm a member of.

davidc
05-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Guess I will buy some Klasse, sealant and thier Polycharger and see if that helps. When this thing gets oxidized it is a full days work with a buffer to do one side and I am completely wore out by then, not to mention all the ladder work as it stands 12' tall off the ground in some places.

Dave

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 05:03 AM
I can just imagine. Pictures after please. :)

davidc
11-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Update info. With the tests for longevity on the gel coat Liquid glass, Protectall and Meguiars all gone with in 3 months and severe oxidation setting in. I applied all these mid May along with Zaino Z2 without ZFX and clear sealed with ZCS. The Zaino still appeared to be ok at 5 months but looked like oxidation under the Zaino. I never heard of such a thing that oxidation could start or continue under a protective coating until I found this write up.
Unlike metal, gel coat is porous. Seen under a microscope, the smooth, glassy finish on your fiberglass RV is millions of tiny holes or pores. The walls of these pores gradually breakdown from exposure to ozone and ultraviolet light, filling with oxidized resin molecules called "chalk". This chalk eventually turns the entire outer surface a dull, opaque color. Micro-debris, pollution and road grime also collect in the pores accelerating the oxidation process. Traditional polishes primarily address the effects of oxidation (chalky finish) not the cause of oxidation ( resin residues and micro-debris in the pores). While polishing temporarily restores gloss, oxidation is still continuing under the surface.
So I guess I was not losing it after all. I am re polishing with Menz 85rd and applying ZAIO and ZCS with the Klasse twins to arrive tomorrow 11/22/10. The 85rd appears to be working very well with glass glitter showing up on the wool pad while polishing. I now have ZAIO with ZCS, 303 protectant buffed in with a rotary and wool pad and will apply the Klasse this week. According to the article about the porus parts of gelcoat unless I managed to clear this up with the menz 85rd all of this may be a waste of time.

Redneckmafia
11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
collinite 845 worked very well on my jet skis which are fiberglass along with a buddies Bayliner boat and stood up to the salt and sun very well is pretty easy to use just remember thin coats...

dougaross
11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Duragloss 501 is for gelcoat