PDA

View Full Version : self healing clear buffing

Pages : [1] 2

roscoe
05-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I sanded a panel on my car finishing with 3000 grit tried to buff it with porter cable with yellow pad and menzerna power finish couldnt get the deep black color back. Then tried a rotary buffer with yellow pad and wool pad but couldnt get the color back it came up shinny but a real dull black had to recoat panel with more clear to get the deep black back. paint was only 3 days old when i tried.
Any idea on what to use or process to do a sand and buff would be appreciated.

roscoe
05-15-2010, 08:34 PM
this clear is scratch resistant self healing. its ahard clear takes a bit to sand it smooth.i had a bit left in a cup pulled it out when it was dry and feels like rubber stretches and goes back in to shape the print out of the clear said it could be sanded and buffed but didnt say how or what to use. any ideas would be welcome.

loudog2
05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
DA's work best with the self healing paint. It's due to the less heat being generated compared to a rotary.

Lasthope05
05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Self healing paint...:nomore: Never again will I work on one of those!

Try an aggressive compound next time(3M Extra Cut, Meguiars M105, Menzerna Power Gloss) and not a medium polish like power finish. Also, dont ever think about using a rotary on self healing paint as Loudog2 said. The rotary generates too much heat which softens the clear and makes it sticky. Use a DA only!

roscoe
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
i talked to a body shop that uses this stuff and they said to use a rotary buffer with agressive compound and a wool cutting pad they said a person has to create a bit of heat but not to over do it to get it to turn back to the deep black.i have menzerana power gloss,going to try the da first just ordered some wool cutting pads should take about two weeks to get here. will take some pics when i have the hood sanded

rohnramirez
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
It is best to sand fresh paint with 2000 then 2500 to remove orange peel and pinholes. Sand in one direction.

I agree that you need a wool pad and a heavy cutting compound to remove sanding marks. Powergloss should work.

Mike Phillips
05-17-2010, 08:14 AM
What are you working on?

I

had to recoat panel with more clear to get the deep black back.

So you're spraying "Self-Healing" paint onto your own car?

Or you're spraying "normal" clear onto your own car that came with self-healing paint?

I've read enough horror stories about self-healing paint that I wouldn't accept a detailing job to buff one out. Actually, I can't think of a single thread I've ever read where anyone ever said anything positive about working on self-healing paints.

:)

roscoe
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
im working on the car in my avatar.got a deal on this clear now its not such a good deal because its so hard to work with.amost thinking just to do a complete re paint with different paint just hard to afford it right now.

rohnramirez
05-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh my oh my. So you're sprayign self-healing paint over your regular paint. That doesn't sound too good. It's not a good idea to mix different types.

Nice car. Is that Lambo?

roscoe
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
yes its a diablo lambo. the paint is the same brand as the clear.sherwin williams paint.

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
That was one of my favorite cars when i was younger. :)

As everyone said, it would be better to stick to the traditional clear. I think the original paint of Lambos are PPG, but now i think it's K9.

roscoe
05-18-2010, 08:04 PM
i had some bad experience with ppg. im going to check out some different brands.

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
With the product or with the dealer? Dupont is also a nice option. :)

roscoe
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
with the product.clear ended up real haze and some paint didnt stick to the primer properly.i was thinking sikens mybe dupont.

rohnramirez
05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Paint did not stick to the primer? Hmmm..never experienced it before. Did you also sand the primer? It depends on the primer and the paint, not all primers should be sanded, if it does need sanding, it should at the most be 600grit. I would always follow the tech sheet to the dot. As for the hazing, could be the mixture of thinning agent and catalyst. I've known K9/PPG to be one of the best paints in the market. :)