PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of polish before a finishing glaze?

Whitethunder46
10-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm about to order some Pinnacle XMT #3, #2, #1 polishers and some XMT finishing glaze.

Note: Everything done on a Porter Cable DA

Basically the question is this:
Say I needed to use a #3 on a vehicle with sever oxidation, swirls, whatever might have you. Can I go straight to the glaze after this or should I use the #1 first? I'm assuming skipping #2 is fine if I started with #3.

Also does it matter if I would use a yellow cutting pad then go to a white pad and glaze, compared to a orange pad then to the glaze.

Obviously, if the #3 didnt take out everything I wanted, I wouild do a #1 or #2 then the glaze.

Also, I know after the glaze I still need a final waxing whether carnuaba or synthetic.

abrcrombe
10-31-2006, 12:34 AM
If there is no hazing or micromarring from #3 then you go straight to glaze. If there is you may need go to #2 or #1 depending on how bad it is. You can use either pad for #3 but use the one that is the least aggressive to get the job done right. So if you use #3 and it looks perfect with no hazing and micromarring go to glaze. If it doesn't use #2 and/or #1 then you can go to glaze. Good luck.

ScottB
10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Usually using a very abrasive polish or very abrasive pad will leave small markings and lighter swirls. You will then move down the pad and polish choices till the surface is perfect. Then use the glaze ....

Nica
11-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I got a question, what is "micromarring"? Sorry I'm new here and my shoping list is hudge and I'm still doing all the re-search and reading before I spend some serious coin.

This "micromarring"...can you see it?

Thank you.

Kelso
11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
yes you see it.... its like very small scratches, tons of them,so the surface is kind of cloudy and not perfectly uniform