PDA

View Full Version : I want to step up my game, a Dual Action machine, or the Klasse Forum Favorite Kit??

Pages : [1] 2 3

luv2clean
05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry White XLE which is in pretty good shape paint wise I want it to look better. It really doesn't have too many swirls in the finish though it does show a little orange peal in the clear coat of you hold you head right in the right light( I'm that picky) This is a personal car and I just like to keep my cars really clean and the paint looking 3 feet thick. So this is where I need you help....... I do not know what direction to take for the best appearance for my car hand or machine. I have never used a machine it was always elbow grease. After looking here I 'm thinking that might not be the smartest way to go but I don't have an unlimited supply of money to dump into my obsession. Nor do I even know what to use with a machine . See my Problem? Suggestions???

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Machine polishing is the only way to go ;) Give AG a call, they can set you up with everything you need. They will help you with picking a machine and products to go with it.

5.4 Shelby
05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Machine polishing is the only way to go ;) Give AG a call, they can set you up with everything you need. They will help you with picking a machine and products to go with it.
Very true. You might be getting pretty good results by hand, but, once you machine polish, you will see the light. It takes pretty good paint to fantastic paint. The "3 ft thick" paint is much more attainable with a machine polisher and the proper pads/products.

I just polished and waxed my white car last month. It looked good before. But, now it looks candy coated. I did a full machine paint correction followed by Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Pinnacle SSII. The SSII is expensive. IF you are trying to save a little dough. I think Megs #26 liquid wax looks great and is easy to work with. Another short term option for you would be to get the free samples of WG DGPS and Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax. There will be enough in the sample to finish your car a few times.

Let us know how it works out for you.

rohnramirez
05-13-2010, 09:37 PM
+1 on a machine. But i'm sure another uncertainty will arise..which machine. lol.

I'd go with a rotary..either makita 9227cb or flex.

maximus20895
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Why would you get a rotary for your first time. I would get a DA if you were new to the scene.

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 11:42 PM
:iagree: There is no way I would recommend a rotary for someone that's new to this and more then likely will have to learn to use on his own.

rohnramirez
05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I learned on my own. :) The DA has it's place. But i get done faster and better with a rotary, which equates to efficiency and effectivity. And besides, i just said "i'd go.." I bought the XP here, after 2weeks got a Makita locally but purchased some pads here. That should be enough of a story. :)

He said he has had experience doing it by hand i just thought he'd be better off with a rotary, since i have also been doing it by hand. If he soon after thinks the DA isn't efficient enough, then he wouldn't be thinking that he would've gotten a rotary instead. He said he doesn't have that much money to dish out, same as i do.

ScottB
05-14-2010, 06:39 AM
time for a random orbital buffer indeed (PC-XP, Griots, G110v.2, Flex) .... and yes you can do it, learning curve is not that hard and some actually find it fun.

luv2clean
05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
So I f I have this straight I will be disappointed with a DA after a while because it will not have enough power and I might rip the hood off my car, so a random orbit?

Dubbin1
05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
So I f I have this straight I will be disappointed with a DA after a while because it will not have enough power and I might rip the hood off my car, so a random orbit?

The DA (DA is orbital) is what you're looking for and there is no saying that you wont be happy with it. Most every detailer out there uses a DA.

Mike Phillips
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry White XLE which is in pretty good shape paint wise I want it to look better. It really doesn't have too many swirls in the finish though it does show a little orange peal in the clear coat of you hold you head right in the right light( I'm that picky)

You remove orange peel by sanding the paint flat, this will remove a measurable amount of clear. Then you remove your sanding marks with a compound and usually a rotary buffer, this will remove a measurable amount of paint.

Factory paint is thin to start with so you might want to learn to accept the orange peel as this is normal for a factory finish unless you want to have a custom paint job sprayed on and then work with your painter to have extra clear sprayed so that there's enough film build to sand and buff and still leave plenty of clear for the future.

A better idea would be to just focus on removing the swirls and if you're new to machine polishing the DA polisher is the easiest tool to learn to use and master and will keep you busy for a while.

Check out this article...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

We have a new video coming out on how to pick a polisher, it should be up next week.

The DA is easy to learn how to use, this is my son using one on a 1966 Batmobile, he's 9 in this picture...

Photo courtesy of LacViet Photography
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/RandBuffingBatmobile1.jpg

See this article too...

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

More articles and videos in my Signature Line

:)

maximus20895
05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
No, the DAs are really powerfull. Yes, they are not as powerful as rotary, but they are safer and they hold their own. You can still do MAJOR correction with a DA.

There are some people who don't really car for rotaries and use a DA most of the time.

I just can't stress that even though a DA is not as powerful as a rotary it is plenty of power to get the job done and very well I might add.

Some other people should chime in about just how much correction a DA can do.

maximus20895
05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Photo courtesy of LacViet Photography
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/RandBuffingBatmobile1.jpg

I thought that was you for a minute, but then I saw the new DA and I didn't think you grew that fast :)

Mike Phillips
05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
No, the DAs are really powerfull. Yes, they are not as powerful as rotary, but they are safer and they hold their own. You can still do MAJOR correction with a DA.

There are some people who don't really car for rotaries and use a DA most of the time.

I just can't stress that even though a DA is not as powerful as a rotary it is plenty of power to get the job done and very well I might add.

Some other people should chime in about just how much correction a DA can do.

Very well said.

With the right pads, techniques and products you can actually tackle just about anything that comes your way.

For people just starting out, that have never machine polished and especially if you don't want to turn detailing into your hobby, starting with a DA Polisher is a good way to go...

Here's a shot of #3000 grit sanding marks being removed using a DA Polisher...

The section below was sanded using the #3000 Unigrit Foam Finishing Disc on the Meguiar's G110v2 on the 5.0 Speed Setting for about 5-6 Section Passes.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/837/SandingMarkRemovalWSurbuf003.jpg

Here are the results after Machine Compounding using the Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads on the Meguiar's G110v2 on the 6.0 Speed Setting with M105 Ultra Compound for about 5-6 Section passes.

We followed this with M205 Ultra Finishing Polish on a W9207 Foam Finishing pad on the 5.0 Speed Setting using the G110v2 for about 4 passes with medium pressure and then two more section passes with just a little more than the weight of the machine to keep the pad flat to the surface. The results you see here are only after polishing with M205, there is no wax or paint sealant applied at this point.

The test section was also wiped clean using straight Mineral Spirits to remove any residual polishing oils.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/837/SandingMarkRemovalWSurbuf007.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/837/SandingMarkRemovalWSurbuf008.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/837/SandingMarkRemovalWSurbuf009.jpg

Read more here...

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/23927-surbuf-microfinger-buffing-pads-now-autogeek.html)

:buffing:

maximus20895
05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Ah yes. Thank you once again, just the example I was looking for :dblthumb2: