PDA

View Full Version : Did a little playing after work with WG & DP tire gels

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kb2ehj
05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Got a gallon of the new and improved DP Gloss Tire Gel in today and like a kid with a new toy just had to try it out.

Subject: 2009 Honda Element OEM 15" Goodyear Wranglers

Tools:
Wax applicator pad for the DP product
Tire gel applicator for the WG product
Scrub Brush
Griot's Garage Rubber Cleaner (GGRC)

Steps Taken

Sprayed tire down with GGRC and scrubbed with a nylon scrub brush, let to sit for 15-30 seconds, sprayed a little bit more cleaner scrubbed again. Finally rinsing with water.

Each tire was done the same way.

Once I was complete with the last tire, I took a cotton rag and dried each of the tires.

I picked the right rear tire as the test subject since it was facing into the sun.

I taped off the tire into thirds. I applied the WG product to the upper right quad, DP product to the upper left quad and nothing was applied to the lower quad.

I'm hoping to take a series of picture tomorrow morning before heading to work, this will give the products a 12 hour 'soak' then another picture after work (that will give it 24 hours) then a final picture 7 days from application to see how both are holding up.

This picture is less then 5 minutes after application
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/tire_day01.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18595)

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel definitely has a lot more gloss going on as you can see, in the past usually within 24 hours it's starting to mat down a bit
DP Gloss Tire Gel actually went on more mat then glossy like you would think based on the name.

CEE DOG
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Thank you, look forward to the updates

maximus20895
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice review. So far so good. I look forward as well to see how this will pan out :)

Very interested.

Shane731
05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Based on the pic, I think I like the looks of the DP gel vs. the WG gel. I generally prefer more of a matte look.

kb2ehj
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Based on the pic, I think I like the looks of the DP gel vs. the WG gel. I generally prefer more of a matte look.

I agree with that statement also. Just looking forward to see how it holds up over the next week(s).

A4 1.8tqm
05-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks for posting this test because, WOW, I really don't like the look of the WG... I'll steer clear of it. Makes me glad I have 4 32oz bottles of that New DP Gloss on the way! Which looks great in your pic, IMO. :xyxthumbs:

kb2ehj
05-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for posting this test because, WOW, I really don't like the look of the WG... I'll steer clear of it. Makes me glad I have 4 32oz bottles of that New DP Gloss on the way! Which looks great in your pic, IMO. :xyxthumbs:

Thank you A4 1.8tq,

In defense of the WG product, it does 'dull down' usually within 24 hours to were it isn't 'screaming' at you.

I think you will like the DP product, it has the smell and consistency of toothpaste you find in the pump bottles (not the tubes). I'm like you I think, like my tires clean and black not clean and sparkly (if that is a description that can be used)

I took some more pictures this morning that I'll get up soon, theses of course are the '12 hour' soak set.

Mark

ScottB
05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
quite noticable indeed ...

maximus20895
05-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Ahh I want to see the new pictures :)

I don't recall seeing toothpaste in pumps? lol

mtmebnj
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM
I know you guys just ordered it but I like my tires to really shine. With that said I would be happy eitherway... But I like the right side with the bling shine!

Which do you think would look better on a red corvette with stock chrome wheels? matt or gloss? just curious on your take Mike

kb2ehj
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Here is the 12 hours after application photo. Maybe a slight decrease in the 'bling'

Since we are on a new page, upper left quad is DP, upper right is WG and bottom quad is nothing

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/tire_test02.jpg

kb2ehj
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
I know you guys just ordered it but I like my tires to really shine. With that said I would be happy eitherway... But I like the right side with the bling shine!

Which do you think would look better on a red corvette with stock chrome wheels? matt or gloss? just curious on your take Mike

Myself, I'm a matte person.

kb2ehj
05-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Myself, I'm a matte person. I think the tire shine no shine is a personal preference more then anything

WRAPT C5Z06
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
DP looks great!

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
I like the WG much better, boy am I glad I didn't jump on the BOGO this week.