PDA

View Full Version : Waxes vs Sealants

maximus20895
05-12-2010, 01:54 AM
I know the difference between waxes and sealants as waxes are more natural and sealants are synthetic, but is there a time to use one over the other?

Is one considered better or what?

JonM
05-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Sealants are typically considered more durable, with the exception of a few. Sealants give more of a crisp shine that some may consider "plasticy" while Carnauba's give a warmer, deeper glow. As for which is better, it's all preference, and to be honest I never allow any LSP, wax or sealant go longer than a month typically. Sealants are usually cheaper, but depending on how you use a Carnauba the Wax may last for longer applications, though considering sealants last longer they don't need to be applied often. If you want a nice sealant combo, consider Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant along with a wax like Natty's red.

maximus20895
05-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Alright, cool thanks.

So for the most part would it be safe to say that waxes are mostly pastes and not liquids?

Also, I'm pretty certain that's it's perfectly done to use a sealant and the put a wax over that? Do you have to wait 12 etc hours or what?

Irish
05-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Alright, cool thanks.

So for the most part would it be safe to say that waxes are mostly pastes and not liquids?

Also, I'm pretty certain that's it's perfectly done to use a sealant and the put a wax over that? Do you have to wait 12 etc hours or what?

There are some liquid carnauba waxes, but yeah, mostly pastes. They're a sort of mixed bag to be honest. I shy away from most all of them save Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Collinite 845 (correct me if I'm wrong someone, IIRC it does actually have carnuba), and Optimum Car Wax.

You do need to allow the sealant to "cure" before applying carnauba on top, yes. Some people only wait 8hrs and say that's enough, personally I'd go with 12 as a minimum, if not a full 24. After that feel free to top it with carnauba.

CEE DOG
05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I certanily can't speak for all products but it should also be noted that dust sticks to a waxed car more then it does a sealed car.

JasonFong
05-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi, i didnt know tat a sealant must be apply first and then apply waxs.. I apply waxs then sealant.. lol..

ScottB
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
sealants are synthetic waxes and use to offer quite a different look and outcome. They are typically more durable and thats why they were often chosen. With modern polymers and new ingredients they can look surprisingly like waxes.

As for which to use, personal preference and likely best decided based upon your commitment to car and environment car is in.

Rsurfer
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi, i didnt know tat a sealant must be apply first and then apply waxs.. I apply waxs then sealant.. lol..
The only sealant that I know of that can be applied over a nuba is Opti Seal. Sealants needs a clean surface to bond to and typically needs 12 hrs. to cure before applying another layer or wax.

maximus20895
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
So if sealant last longer why are people willing to pay more for a wax?.

Now since the Memorial Day sale I am planning on buying some sealants and maybe waxes, but I just don't know what ones.

Maybe the DP poli coat or the WGDGPS. I just don't know :(

Rsurfer
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
So if sealant last longer why are people willing to pay more for a wax?
Most sealants gives a reflective shine (hard candy) where nuba's gives a softer wet glow. Of course this is subjective to the viewer.

Dubbin1
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
So if sealant last longer why are people willing to pay more for a wax?.

Now since the Memorial Day sale I am planning on buying some sealants and maybe waxes, but I just don't know what ones.

Maybe the DP poli coat or the WGDGPS. I just don't know :(

Some people like the looks of wax better then sealants.

You can't go wrong with either one of your choices in sealants.

alexjn1
05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I like to use wolfgang 3.0 sealant and then top it with pinnacle spray wax to help maintain the protection.