PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shine 101

Pages : [1] 2

vetteman
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
TIRE SHINE 101

I am sure all of us at one time or another have used one of the meriod of tire shine products on the market. They all have two problems in common.
#1) They are all greasy, and pickup road dust. This contributes to dirty
looking tire and wheel much sooner. Not to mention if you drive on
a dusty or dirt parking lot.

#2) No matter how carful you are about removing excess tire shine
material, there is always residue, that at highway speeds will get
slung onto the side of your freshley detailed car, and also in the
wheel wells. When you wash your car next time you pickup this
tire shine material that has been slung all over your car in the
washing process. In doing so you spread it all over the car,
contaminate your wash water, and wash cloths, if you wash this
cloth, mit, whatever, with the rest of your detailing cloths, you
contaminate them as well. Before you know it, everything that you
use to clean your car has been contaminated with tire shine.
Has anyone experienced this? Then you wonder how come your glass has
streaks, and your freshley detailed car has a filmy haze on it that attacts dust. Well the culprit is tire shine products, Armour-all, Son-of-a-gun, or the 100' s of others out there. They all contain silicone, and oils that can be spread everywhare!!!!

Personally, I hate all of these products, they all make a mess of your car.
But you want shiny tires you say.... This can still be accomplished, and in a far better way than using the above mentioned, "Junk". First it's going to take several washings with beachwhite or other tire cleaner to remove the built up oils deposited by repeated applications of tire shine. This may take 2,3,or 4 washings to get it off your tires. When you can rub your tires and you do not feel any oil you have succeded in removing all the residue.

Now you can begin the process of restoring the shine on your tires, also you can use this product on your vynal interior pieces as well, provided that you remove the residual oil from you dash wipes or pledge, same thing as tire shine, "crap". And, NO I am not selling anything!!!!!!!!!
After the tires and wheels have been throughly washed and dried, you apply,
"are you ready for this" my secret product that I have used at car shows for years, and have gotten compliments from all sorts of spectators and judges alike! You probably have this product at home right now!!! Well, what is it you ask? Ordinary floor polish (liquid) I personally prefer Mop N Glow, but any brand will do! Liberally apply this to tires using a damp sponge or lint free cloth. It may take several coats at first, till you have the tire sealed and have built up a good surface coating. The tires are almost as shiney as with tire dressing but smooth and not greasy to the touch! You won't sling it all over your car, and you won't pickup road dust either. You can even drive in soft sand and it will not mess up your tires!!! As I said you can also use it on your hard and soft vynal interior pieces, as well as convertable tops,(the non fabric ones of course). The bonus to using this is that almost all of these floor wax products contain a UV protectant, this will go a long way in preserving both the color and condition of your interior vynal, IE: dash cover, door panels, console, kick plates etc. etc.

Well, now you have my secret, after almost 50 years of detailing my own cars, (the everyday ones, as well as the show cars I have had over the years) as well as friends cars from time to time. You now know what I have used successfully for nearly 50 years. If you don't believe me, go out and try it next weekend on your own pride and joy, and let me know what you think!

Vetteman

supercharged
10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Very interesting. I personally prefer a good tire gel, like Pinnacle. Apply very thin, let dry for 1 hour, then drive. No sling off, no issues. Be sure to apply very thin.

Surfer
10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Interesting, and I may just try it:D. I've never had an issue with slinging even on my suv's tires. Only thing I hated about a tire product I used was that Meg's Insane Shine (aerosol) would spray everywhere and stayed "gummy" which attracted dirt like a magnet.

ScottB
10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Water based dressing should dry well and not sling provided they are not added to excess. Its thick gels and silicone based products and it usually has to do with water in the ribbing failing to allow the curing agent to work properly.

Brake Fluid as well as some floor protectants can severly dry rot tires over time. These were big time deals in the 70's-80's but like the Armor All of the past, have been moved over for protectants with UV additives from the future. Not knocking your choice ... but some products exist (like 303) that can actually benefit a tire and provide a well kept appearance.

I still know of a few that use furniture polish (pledge) on their finishes. No protection and washes right off, but they love the look for show-time.

Surfer
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Water based dressing should dry well and not sling provided they are not added to excess. Its thick gels and silicone based products and it usually has to do with water in the ribbing failing to allow the curing agent to work properly.

Brake Fluid as well as some floor protectants can severly dry rot tires over time. These were big time deals in the 70's-80's but like the Armor All of the past, have been moved over for protectants with UV additives from the future. Not knocking your choice ... but some products exist (like 303) that can actually benefit a tire and provide a well kept appearance.

I still know of a few that use furniture polish (pledge) on their finishes. No protection and washes right off, but they love the look for show-time.Pledge, as in for dusting? So I guess no more AW or 425, or CM for Killr, you'll see him out there witha yellow bottle of Pledge:D

I did try one little trick somebody mentioned on topia. Black show polish for black trim, worked better then other trim stuff I have, and doesn't bleed. Been a couple months now on one of our other vehicles and it still looks new, suprisingly impressive.

Excessive Detail
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
TIRE SHINE 101

I am sure all of us at one time or another have used one of the meriod of tire shine products on the market. They all have two problems in common.
#1) They are all greasy, and pickup road dust. This contributes to dirty
looking tire and wheel much sooner. Not to mention if you drive on
a dusty or dirt parking lot.

#2) No matter how carful you are about removing excess tire shine
material, there is always residue, that at highway speeds will get
slung onto the side of your freshley detailed car, and also in the
wheel wells. When you wash your car next time you pickup this
tire shine material that has been slung all over your car in the
washing process. In doing so you spread it all over the car,
contaminate your wash water, and wash cloths, if you wash this
cloth, mit, whatever, with the rest of your detailing cloths, you
contaminate them as well. Before you know it, everything that you
use to clean your car has been contaminated with tire shine.
Has anyone experienced this? Then you wonder how come your glass has
streaks, and your freshley detailed car has a filmy haze on it that attacts dust. Well the culprit is tire shine products, Armour-all, Son-of-a-gun, or the 100' s of others out there. They all contain silicone, and oils that can be spread everywhare!!!!

Personally, I hate all of these products, they all make a mess of your car.
But you want shiny tires you say.... This can still be accomplished, and in a far better way than using the above mentioned, "Junk". First it's going to take several washings with beachwhite or other tire cleaner to remove the built up oils deposited by repeated applications of tire shine. This may take 2,3,or 4 washings to get it off your tires. When you can rub your tires and you do not feel any oil you have succeded in removing all the residue.

Now you can begin the process of restoring the shine on your tires, also you can use this product on your vynal interior pieces as well, provided that you remove the residual oil from you dash wipes or pledge, same thing as tire shine, "crap". And, NO I am not selling anything!!!!!!!!!
After the tires and wheels have been throughly washed and dried, you apply,
"are you ready for this" my secret product that I have used at car shows for years, and have gotten compliments from all sorts of spectators and judges alike! You probably have this product at home right now!!! Well, what is it you ask? Ordinary floor polish (liquid) I personally prefer Mop N Glow, but any brand will do! Liberally apply this to tires using a damp sponge or lint free cloth. It may take several coats at first, till you have the tire sealed and have built up a good surface coating. The tires are almost as shiney as with tire dressing but smooth and not greasy to the touch! You won't sling it all over your car, and you won't pickup road dust either. You can even drive in soft sand and it will not mess up your tires!!! As I said you can also use it on your hard and soft vynal interior pieces, as well as convertable tops,(the non fabric ones of course). The bonus to using this is that almost all of these floor wax products contain a UV protectant, this will go a long way in preserving both the color and condition of your interior vynal, IE: dash cover, door panels, console, kick plates etc. etc.

Well, now you have my secret, after almost 50 years of detailing my own cars, (the everyday ones, as well as the show cars I have had over the years) as well as friends cars from time to time. You now know what I have used successfully for nearly 50 years. If you don't believe me, go out and try it next weekend on your own pride and joy, and let me know what you think!

Vetteman

Any pics of this.

XterraOverload
10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Interestinghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif

sparkie
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Welcome to AG.
That's interesting! I think the wife has some somewhere around here.

DS Detailer
10-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I used to use mop and glow on my boots in the army. Dries and cracks leather, i wouldn't trust it on rubber. The best bet is DP, that i've seen.

XterraOverload
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I used to use mop and glow on my boots in the army. Dries and cracks leather, i wouldn't trust it on rubber. The best bet is DP, that i've seen.
Same here I was just thinking that too but decided to let it go as leather and rubber are different but your right it does crack leather after a while. Mu X wife used mop&glow on her boots I used the stuff in the green can with a paint brush thingie in it.......Forget what it's called now..........Sure did make it shine though.

Whitethunder46
10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Very interesting. I personally prefer a good tire gel, like Pinnacle. Apply very thin, let dry for 1 hour, then drive. No sling off, no issues. Be sure to apply very thin.

I too prefer tire gel. If use correctly I've never haved a problem with "slinging" and it will say on for weeks. I've always enjoyed Armor All's gel, but my next purchase will be Pinnacle's Tire Gel.

supercharged
10-31-2006, 03:46 AM

I still know of a few that use furniture polish (pledge) on their finishes. No protection and washes right off, but they love the look for show-time.
That reminds me of trying 303 on tires. I never did.

drastic_detail
11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Same here I was just thinking that too but decided to let it go as leather and rubber are different but your right it does crack leather after a while. Mu X wife used mop&glow on her boots I used the stuff in the green can with a paint brush thingie in it.......Forget what it's called now..........Sure did make it shine though.

Green can??? Leather Lust!!! Makes your boots shine like crazy ( if you use it right)

nrengle
11-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I have Mop & Glo at home, and used the crap once on the floor and never touched it again. It was greasy as crap I thought. I know I sure as $(&% wouldn't want it touching my tires on my baby.

Emile
11-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Damnit dude, don't make me read things that are long and pointless.

Once tire shine dries up, there is no more sling. Dirt sticks to tires like glue, with or without tire shine. And using a proper tire shine applicator with any decent tire shine shouldn't cause mess everywhere.