PDA

View Full Version : Long night!

b-rad g
05-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Been busy having kids and job and life so have not been that heavy into detailing my vehicles like I used to, so after 3 or 4 years I decided to jump back in with the recent purchase of a new to us '06 Expedition for the wife. Was a huge fan of the OTC Zymol cleaner wax a while back, so I turned to them for my dive into the "high end" waxes and bought their clay kit, HD Cleanse, and Titanium wax.

Got started yesterday afternoon after work at about 4:15 and didn't step back inside until 9:45. Cleaned engine bay using Simple Green and brush followed by quick spray of Black Magic Tire Foam (I don't use on tires because it slings like nothing else), washed truck using Meguiars Deep Crystal wash, then cleaned tires and wheels. Used the flooding rinse and leaf blower to dry (that works amazingly well) with only few spots needing a MF. Then clayed entire truck with Zymol clay and clay lube (didn't like the lube that well), and followed that with the HD Cleanse. I don't see where the HD Cleanse did very much unless the clay just worked so good (which it did, had to knead alot because it was turned black real quick). I can see why some don't like to use the HD CLeanse as it is very hard to take off if you let it sit for any amount of time, I ended up using an IPA wip after every section to make sure I got it all off. Finally, got to use the Titanium wax.......WOW was it easy to put on and take off!! Now granted this is the first time I have ever used a wax with this much carnauba and oils in it. I used the bare hands method and liked it very much, great feel for how the wax is covering and keeping it thin. Plus I barely used any, hardly put a dent in it.

I ended up using my Meguiars Cleaner wax on the front and rear bumbers, headlights and tail lights, all the painted molding on the bottom and around the wheel wells, and on the roof which doesn't get seen even by me and I'm 6'5".

By the time I was done it was well past dark and the wife leaves before I do in the mornings so I didn't get to see it out in the sun to really see how good it looks. I could only go by the lights in the garage (2 flourescents and twin halogen worklamp). But what I did see with the worklamp was all the swirls all over the place and some water spots on the hood. Time to look into a DA!:buffing:

Anyways I though I would share my experience and would greatly appreciate any tips or feedback from all you professionals and more experienced.:dblthumb2:

b-rad g
05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Forgot to ask, the cure time is that the time to wait for another coat or is that time to wait before being driven? What happens if you don't let it cure before the vehicle is driven?

Thanks.

jjkacz
05-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Forgot to ask, the cure time is that the time to wait for another coat or is that time to wait before being driven? What happens if you don't let it cure before the vehicle is driven?

Thanks.

It refers to the cure time before you apply another coat or another product. You can drive it, but I would avoid rain.

Glad to hear that your getting into detailing again...prepair to spend some money! :xyxthumbs:

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
It refers to the cure time before you apply another coat or another product. You can drive it, but I would avoid rain.

Glad to hear that your getting into detailing again...prepair to spend some money! :xyxthumbs:

What about the debris while driving? I would do some type of wipe down if not a wash if you are going to drive before applying another coat.

Mike Phillips
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I can see why some don't like to use the HD CLeanse as it is very hard to take off if you let it sit for any amount of time,

I don't think you're supposed to let it dry. I've used a version of this about 20 years ago when it was a different formula and you didn't let it dry back then. Just read the product description for it and it reads like a light paint cleaner and "most" paint cleaners don't need to dry because all they are for is cleaning the paint, thus after you work the product you wipe it immediately off.

Some paint cleaners are recommended to dry so always follow the manufacture's directions.

I used the bare hands method and liked it very much, great feel for how the wax is covering and keeping it thin. Plus I barely used any, hardly put a dent in it.

Just goes to show there's no right or wrong way to apply a finishing wax, I recommend everyone try the bare hand application method at least once so they can have a valid opinion based upon real world experience.

I didn't get to see it out in the sun to really see how good it looks. I could only go by the lights in the garage (2 fluorescents and twin halogen worklamp).

But what I did see with the worklamp was all the swirls all over the place and some water spots on the hood. Time to look into a DA!

When it comes to removing swirls out of clear coat paints, it's faster and more effective to work with a machine.

Here's why...

The practical differences between single stage paints and a clear coat paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/21924-practical-differences-between-single-stage-paints-clear-coat-paints.html)

Some people have mentioned after reading the below it convinced them to by an electric polisher...

Man versus Machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/20257-man-versus-machine.html)

:)

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Mike you are correct with Zymol H-D, it is a wipe on wipe off product or it is a real pita to remove.

b-rad g
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.......and yes the bank account is about to get hit!

I don't think you're supposed to let it dry. I've used a version of this about 20 years ago when it was a different formula and you didn't let it dry back then. Just read the product description for it and it reads like a light paint cleaner and "most" paint cleaners don't need to dry because all they are for is cleaning the paint, thus after you work the product you wipe it immediately off.

Some paint cleaners are recommended to dry so always follow the manufacture's directions.
:)

Mike you are correct with Zymol H-D, it is a wipe on wipe off product or it is a real pita to remove.

The instructions say let it sit for 20 to 30 seconds and then wipe, but I was barley letting it sit that lond because I did read on here that it was hard to remove.

Thanks guys.