PDA

View Full Version : Need some good recommendations on synthetic waxes

Pages : [1] 2

Whitethunder46
10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Looking for some good synthetic waxes that are out on the market right now. I'm looking for actual waxes, not spray waxes or quick details.

Also, after using swirl removers or compunds I generally will use Pinnacle XMT finishing glaze or Pinnacle Advanced glaze; followed by a high quality carnauba.
These glazes as you know contain some carnauba which is great when followed by the carnauba wax. HOWEVER, what's a good glaze (if any) to use before using a synthetic wax or sealant? Is it still safe to use the glazes I mentioned or should the glazes not contain carnauba when using synthetics?

Thanks for all the help! BTW, I plan on being on this forum quite often. I love autogeek!

ryandamartini
10-30-2006, 04:05 PM
if you want a good synthetic glaze, check out meguiars #7. as far as a nice synthetic wax w/o cleaners that would remove the glazecheck out meguiars #21 layered a few times, or DP Surface Shield.

Whitethunder46
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
So a better question I suppose is what's a good glaze used with synthetics that doesn't contain carnauba.

ryandamartini
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
So a better question I suppose is what's a good glaze used with synthetics that doesn't contain carnauba.

Meguiars #7.

supercharged
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I would not use any glaze/polish before synthetic sealant.
Remember, you want a clean surface before sealant, otherwise it will not bond.
As far as synthetic wax (sealant) it all depends on what you are looking for.
As warmer finish like carnauba - Wolfgang DGPS.
A brighter finish - DP new formula sealant.
Both of these product mentioned above will leave finish very nice.

ScottB
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Meg#7 is full of oils and fillers which is the real culprit to not working well with a sealant (ie synthetic). Most glazes like Wolfgang and Menzerna are actually light polishes with sealant friendly fillers not true glazes.

DP Shield Shine, Duragloss, Klasse Twins, Wolfgang are some of the best synthetics offered.

ryandamartini
10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Meg#7 is full of oils and fillers which is the real culprit to not working well with a sealant (ie synthetic). Most glazes like Wolfgang and Menzerna are actually light polishes with sealant friendly fillers not true glazes.

DP Shield Shine, Duragloss, Klasse Twins, Wolfgang are some of the best synthetics offered.

oh really? good info, ive seen number 7 put under so many times at megs forums and the like. thanks for the info, it is noted.

Whitethunder46
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM

so these you mentioned are just used as waxes basically?

I've used Meguiars NXT Liquid before, but wasn't too impressed on it's durability.

GearHead_1
10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
oh really? good info, ive seen number 7 put under so many times at megs forums and the like. thanks for the info, it is noted.With respect to the Meguiar's line they claim that their glaze works just fine with their sealants. I don't think that can be said with other companies LSP's and Meguiar's glaze.

supercharged
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
so these you mentioned are just used as waxes basically?

I've used Meguiars NXT Liquid before, but wasn't too impressed on it's durability.
NXT is not durable at all, matter of fact Meguiar's #16 will outlast it for sure. #21 is basically NXT will a little better durability. Again, a little better.
But that's another reason Meguiar's NXT suffers form durability, because Meguiar's recommends glaze - oil fillers.

mr.c
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
I use Mothers seal and glaze and Mothers Fx Wax here
http://www.autogeek.net/mo20016.html looks good on my red car I even like it better then Meguiars.
:)

Waxmax
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
I use WG Finishing Glaze and I know others use VM prior to a sealant. And CG's Creme Glaze is suitable as well.

Whitethunder46
11-02-2006, 11:02 AM
New Question. How well would Poorboy's sealant w/ carnauba work on top of the XMT finishing glaze? Should/will it bond correctly? And is this kind of a combination between a sealant and a carnauba?

MikeyC
11-02-2006, 12:44 PM
It sounds like you really like glazes. If that's the case why not stick with using a carnauba? It sounds like you're after durability and if that's the case you can't go wrong with the Collonite line. Collonite's waxes are just about as durable as any synthetic sealant. I'm using 845 on my car right now for winter protection. It has great depth and wetness and is very durable.

I wish I had a picture of this . . . yesterday I was parked next to a utility pole. There was a reflection of the pole in my car's hood. It had such amazing depth. It looked like there was a utility pole going straight through my car's hood. The reflection literally looked like it went on forever. Here's the amazing part . . . my car is SILVER.

FloridaNative
11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I would only use #7 with Meg's sealants only. Meguiars claims that all of their products are compatible so you should be able to use it that way. Another glaze sealant combination that seems to work together is Clearkote's vanilla moose glaze under Poorboy's EX-P sealant. Other than that I would stick with the product lines Wolfgang's finishing glaze with Wolfgang's sealant.

You really don't need a glaze before a sealant since a sealant's ideal conditions are a very clean paint surface to bond to. I agree with Killerwheel's suggestions. DP, Wolfgang, Duragloss, Klasse and EX-P are all excellent sealants (synthetic waxes) and Mickey C brings up an excellent point as well. The Collinite waxes give great looks and durability too. :)