PDA

View Full Version : ultimate compound/ rotary use

Ron in MO.
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi All

Just like the title says is it possible to use UC with a rotary polisher ? I have a car(Chevy HHR) to do and have a little optimum original formula polish but not enough to to do the job, and have a mostly full bottle of UC. Car has very light swirls, I have Edge pads green,blue, white. I don't really want to spend any more cash on new products. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Ron Herndon

Lasthope05
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Though Megs UC is for DA and Hand use only it will still work perfectly fine via rotary. The only thing you will notice different is UC will not have as long of a working time as you would on a DA. You dont have to worry about too much about that though because UC's working time on a rotary is nowhere near as short as M105/rotary.

Mike Phillips
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
As the guy that wrote all the introduction copy for all the SMAT products on MOL here's what I was told by R&D, UC isn't formulated for heat like M105. Rotary Buffers generate heat faster than any other tool and have the potential for creating higher temperatures than any other paint polishing tool, at least that I've used.

When a chemists designs a product for use with a rotary buffer they take this into account. UC is not officially recommended for use with a rotary buffer.

That said, I've used products not intended for use with a rotary buffer and they've worked. If I have an entire car to buff out with an RB I would get the right product.

:)

Ron in MO.
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi

Thanks for the info. What would be a good off the shelf product to use? I don't have a lot of cash to spend on more product at this time. I do have a body shop supply house not to far away, I could get something there or at the auto parts store. Plan on doing this Saturday. Thanks again for all the info this place has to offer Ron Herndon

Lasthope05
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Why dont you just go out and at least try it out yourself first before you go and by something new. Manufacture recommendations are just guidelines and not rules. There is no harm in trying it out first. With that being said you can usually go to your local napa's and grab some 3m Perfect III machine glaze.

Ron in MO.
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi

That is what I am going to do just give it a try and see what happens, might be the best stuff there is. Thinking about using a white polishing pad, as the paint is not very bad.
Thanks. Ron Herndon