PDA

View Full Version : I dropped my camera! Any suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

dnoraker
05-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Thankfully, I had already gotten the awesome pics of a recent detail off of it. It was also about 5 years old and nothing special in the first place.

My wife is insisting on something compact, and I'm insisting on something with a high quality picture for my detailing business. I went to Best Buy and liked the Canon S90. It seemed to have a higher-end processor in it, quick response and the lithium ion battery. It was $400, which was more than I wanted to spend, but if that's what it takes....

Any thoughts?

unclestu
05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Can't go wrong with either a Cannon or Nikon.

Harleyguy
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Can't go wrong with either a Cannon or Nikon.Hey Unclestu long time no see welcome back .

Fly bye
05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
If you're going to spend $400 on a camara, you may as well spend $100 more for a camara that will work very well for your profession. The Canon 1000D/Rebel XS is only $499, and it comes with an 18-55 IS lense. This camara weighs only 450 grams, which is relatively small/compact.

The difference between the DSLR and the S90, is the format. (image sensor) Don't be fooled by mega pixels. The only advantage with high mega pixels, is not picture quality, but the ability to blow it up.

To make it short, the image sensor on the DSLR is 22.8 x 14.8, versus a mere 7.6 x 5.7 Get my drift? The image sensor on the S90 is tiny compared to the D1000/Rebel XS

Like I say, if you're gonna spend this kind of bread, you may as well go with a camara that has unlimited possibilities.

CEE DOG
05-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I was about to say the canon powershot sd790 IS
I have one and love it. But was just looking at the prices and they actually seem to be more then when I bought mine a couple years ago. I could have sworn I only spent 170$. Looks like they are going for $300 now...

dnoraker
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
If you're going to spend $400 on a camara, you may as well spend $100 more for a camara that will work very well for your profession. The Canon 1000D/Rebel XS is only $499, and it comes with an 18-55 IS lense. This camara weighs only 450 grams, which is relatively small/compact.

The difference between the DSLR and the S90, is the format. (image sensor) Don't be fooled by mega pixels. The only advantage with high mega pixels, is not picture quality, but the ability to blow it up.

To make it short, the image sensor on the DSLR is 22.8 x 14.8, versus a mere 7.6 x 5.7 Get my drift? The image sensor on the S90 is tiny compared to the D1000/Rebel XS

Like I say, if you're gonna spend this kind of bread, you may as well go with a camara that has unlimited possibilities.

Right- I saw this one and was drooling over it, but it got nixed for its size. That's not to say it won't happen, but if I got that one I would have to figure out how to make my wife happy by buying another smaller camera. She very firmly wants a compact camera.

I didn't even look at the megapixels. The saleswoman just said something about a better processor, and I could tell that the S90 either had a better display and or took better pictures than the one for $229 (I forgot the model because I didn't care).

AV8R
05-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus. Check out the new 4/3 cameras like the Panasonic GF1 or the Olympus E-PL1. Small camera profile with DSLR quality photos.

You can buy a very good 10mp digicam for $100 that will do far more than you'll ever use it for. Something like the Fuji Finepix S700 is an amazing camera for $130.

I have well over $15K in DSLR cameras and lenses and I carry my little Fuji everywhere with me. The big stuff only comes out when I shoot something for pay or if I need a really long lens.

dnoraker
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I went ahead and bought the Canon S90. It really seemed to have a lot for the money and the size. We really needed something compact with really high quality and this looks like it will fit the bill.

Thanks for all your advice!

Fly bye
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
It really seemed to have a lot for the money and the size. We really needed something compact with really high quality and this looks like it will fit the bill.

She wouldn't let you get the Rebel XS :D

cobalt9123
05-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I need a camera but I'm looking to spend 100-200..nowhere near 400 lol

pokey
05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
If you want good control over depth of field (for those nice car pics with only a portion of the pic in focus) then an slr is the way to go. If you want to be compact then a Panasonic GF-1 with its 20mm f1.7 kit lens is the way to go. Olympus ep-1 is another. I personally have the gf-1 as my fun camera. My usual rig is way to big to haul but I use it for studio work. In your budget range it will be hard to find truley creative camera. The S90 does allow you to do a lot more than most compacts and may be the best choice in your budget range.

maximus20895
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Most, if not all DSLR's are fairly large and no where near compact, but that is something you are going to have to sacrafice. You can get a compact camera that is pretty decent to good or you can get a little bit bigger camera that is extremely good like the Rebel XS.

When it comes to camera's Nikon and Cannon rule. There is no question there.

Also something that fly bye didn't mention was that the Rebel XS takes RAW pictures. This means you can change the way the picture looks on a computer much more than one that just takes JPEGs. This is because unlike JPEGs the camera does not process the information and turn it into a picture; your computer at home does this and your computer has much more computing power than a camera. End result is you good better, more finely tuned pictures.

Generally speaking DSLR's are a bit more complicated, but that's because you can control much more things than you can with a regular point and shoot camera which means much better pictures.

My vote would the Cannon Rebel XS.

jjkacz
05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I went ahead and bought the Canon S90. It really seemed to have a lot for the money and the size. We really needed something compact with really high quality and this looks like it will fit the bill.

Thanks for all your advice!

Make sure to upload some pictures once you take some.

dnoraker
05-10-2010, 09:40 AM
She wouldn't let you get the Rebel XS :D

I maybe could have, but she still would have wanted a compact camera of her own that had a fast response time on it, and I wasn't looking to shell out $800 on a pair of nice cameras. She didn't want to lug the camera bag around to all the family events, and I dno't blame her. In the end, I figured the Canon S90 would be great, and I have relatives with very expensive cameras that I can pay to take some pictures for me if I need the next level of quality.

Matt S.
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I haven't picked up my dSLR since I got my S90 for Christmas, if that tells you anything. Any of my detail threads since December - the pics were taken with the S90 in auto mode.