PDA

View Full Version : ONR versus Shampoo

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn1270
05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
What is the time difference in when you ONR and when you shampoo?

I've found ONR to be much less of a pain in the butt and I am much more meticulous because I am sitting on the rolling stool right in front of the panel instead of bending down out in the driveway water. I tried the stool in the driveway, but it just does't work as well. I have no water spots, the car looks better, and it takes far less time (15 mins vs 45 mins).

Do other people feel the same or am I just lazy?

Jenn

akimel
05-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I find ONR to be easier:

1) I don't have to worry about pulling out the hose and putting it away.

2) I don't have to worry, as much, about water draining from all those secret places.

3) I find it easier to attend to door amd trunk jambs and the engine bay with ONR.

I still believe, though, that one can get a superior wash the old fashioned way.

Rsurfer
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I find ONR to be easier:

1) I don't have to worry about pulling out the hose and putting it away.

2) I don't have to worry, as much, about water draining from all those secret places.

3) I find it easier to attend to door amd trunk jambs and the engine bay with ONR.

I still believe, though, that one can get a superior wash the old fashioned way.
:iagree:and in water restricted areas, ONR is a blessing. Apartment and Condo dwellers are especially greatful for ONR.

Dubbin1
05-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I like that I can wash the car in the garage and not make a mess.

10 - 15min with a no rinse (I use DP)
45min - 1hr the old fashion way. Just depends on how big of a hurry I'm in.

SRHTX
05-09-2010, 05:25 AM
BUT, not all vehicles can be cleaned with/ny ONR. Some of us have vehicles with plenty of dirt/mud and other nasty things on the paint...........

Old Tiger
05-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Lately Ive been washing the wheels & wells the traditional way and using ONR on everything else. I am with Jen on this once the whheels are done. I also like to break out the foam gun and prep the whole car with foam and let dwell for a few minutes. The big ONR advantages to me are no water spots and more gloss .

WRAPT C5Z06
05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Lately Ive been washing the wheels & wells the traditional way
This is the only way you can thoroughly clean tires, wheels, and wheel wells. I have zero desire to use ONR. I much prefer washing the car the traditional way. However, like Rsurfer said, in water restricted areas, condos or apartments, ONR might be your only choice. :xyxthumbs:

MI Mike
05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
BUT, not all vehicles can be cleaned with/ny ONR. Some of us have vehicles with plenty of dirt/mud and other nasty things on the paint...........

ONR is a life saver. You know your car, and when you should use ONR and when its due for a full wash with a shampoo. As long its not caked on from going to the mud bog races, ONR just might convert you over. I'm just now running out of the old ONR formula (which worked great), and ordered the new formula ONR. ONR rules !!!
:props:

Jossy92
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I find it faster when my car is really dirty. Based on trial and error: I have Gilmour foam gun filled with Super Soap and foam the dry car just enough to cover with little or no initial runoff.

After the foam has dissipated, I lightly wash off the remaining foam with ONR and a mitt. Any remaining spots get clayed, ONR'd and a finishing spray wax.

I guess I just keep tweaking my mistakes and it get faster.

[Super Soap creates a really clingy foam. I put 50/50 in the bottle and adjust the mixing valve for max cling.]

Jenn1270
05-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for some ideas. I don't mind pulling out the hose for the "big" wheel and wheel wells clean up as I just fill one bucket. I think hitting the tires and wheel wells with foam rinsing, cleaning, rinsing, then pulling in the garage for ONR might be the easiest.

My car is rarely dirty because I hit the touchless wash every now and then and fortunately the DP sealant has held up through several of these washes.

Jenn

snowking724
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
i'm one of those app dwellers and the rinseless wash is great,i even use it on the rims and tires when i'm done with the rest of the truck. with a wheel glaze and tire dressing these clean up well. i make it a point to visit a relative every month or so to do the full wash but this does the trick very well.

Misterpaul
05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
ONR was my winter lifesaver. I was able to keep my DD somewhat clean all winter long. On top of that ONR's convenience can't be beat. Case in point was yesterday afternoon. We had intermittent rain showers, then sleet, :eek: but I was in my garage out of the elements. I wouldn't have entertained the idea of washing and waxing my car while dodging rain and sleet. Plus my garage doesn't have a floor drain so hose washing inside it is out of the question. I also use waterless washes from a couple of sources outside of Autogeek and love them for their specific times of use, esp. after pollen storms!

That being said I still love to roll out the hose, buckets, towels and foam gun to have fun in the driveway.

Old Tiger is right: there is no better way to clean wheels and tires (for now). ONR plus a scrub brush did not equal traditional cleaning results. Ditto for under the hood cleaning.

And I agree w/JENN1270, it is nice to scoot around on my wheeled stool with the doors at eye level. It makes clean up easier on the back and all those hidden tar dots are suddenly visible; no more surprises. :xyxthumbs:

AeroCleanse
05-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The first time I tried ONR, I had that ah-ha moment. I haven't washed any other way since.

Jenn1270
05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
The first time I tried ONR, I had that ah-ha moment. I haven't washed any other way since.

I like my water wash every now and then, but the ONR is now my goto.

Jenn

Grizzly
05-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry, but a muddy F-250 with caked on brake dust and muddy wheelwells will not stand a chance with ONR.