PDA

View Full Version : Compounding, Polishing, Chemically cleaning paint.

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
What is the difference between the three or is there no difference?

flawbolt
05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
There is a big difference between the three.

Compounding is typically done to remove extensive paint defects...if you have aggressive swirls, scratches, etc, you would probably want to use a compound as it is an aggressive method...after compounding you will then have to polish the paint...polishing is done to remove minor swirls and shallow scratches - polishing can also remove 2000 grit sanding marks. So, in a sense, compounding and polishing are similar in that they are both used to remove paint defects.

Chemically cleaning the paint does not correct paint defects. Chemical cleaning will clean the paint and remove embedded contaminants from the paint.

Typically you will want to wash your car, clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants, use a paint cleanser to remove embedded contaminants, polish the paint (using the least aggressive method first) to remove paint defects, and then finish up with a protection step (apply wax or sealant).

mcpp66
05-08-2010, 05:19 PM
So would using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound be considered compounding or polishing?

flawbolt
05-08-2010, 05:40 PM
My understanding is that Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a compound...it is very aggressive...it is in Meguiar's Consumer Line of products and I believe it is meant to be used by hand. Due to its aggressive nature, it is called a compound...when you get to products with less cut, they are called polishes. M83 and M205 are polishes while M105 and Ultimate Compound are compounds.

maximus20895
05-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I would argue here that the Ultimate Compound, M83 and M105 are all polishes, but polishes with high cut. I say this since they are part of the "polish" step.

flawbolt
05-08-2010, 06:14 PM
One could make that argument...but compounds are called compounds as they have a lot of cut and they are to be distinguished from polishes which have medium cut and from finishing polishes that have little cut. Compounds are very abrasive and will leave the surface of the paint with a haze that needs to be removed by using a less abrasive product (i.e., a polish). Compounds, polishes, and finishing polishes all belong to the 'polishing' step...albeit, a big step in the detailing process.

maximus20895
05-08-2010, 06:48 PM
One might be more of a "pure polish" than the other?

Rsurfer
05-08-2010, 07:03 PM
There is a big difference between the three.

Compounding is typically done to remove extensive paint defects...if you have aggressive swirls, scratches, etc, you would probably want to use a compound as it is an aggressive method...after compounding you will then have to polish the paint...polishing is done to remove minor swirls and shallow scratches - polishing can also remove 2000 grit sanding marks. So, in a sense, compounding and polishing are similar in that they are both used to remove paint defects.

Chemically cleaning the paint does not correct paint defects. Chemical cleaning will clean the paint and remove embedded contaminants from the paint.

Typically you will want to wash your car, clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants, use a paint cleanser to remove embedded contaminants, polish the paint (using the least aggressive method first) to remove paint defects, and then finish up with a protection step (apply wax or sealant).
I would not use a paint cleaner after claying. The claying is used to remove contaminants. Use the paint cleaner after polishing to remove any oils left by the polish and to ensure a clean surface for your LSP.

ScottB
05-08-2010, 07:08 PM
The unfortunate variable in car care is marketing sometimes uses the terms loosely, but in general once understanding the product specifically there is indeed a difference in all.

Compounding -- the use of polishes (often times harsher polishes) to abrade the surface and correct defects like swirls, light scratches, oxidation and more.

Polishing --- in general, using a abrasive paste by hand or by buffer to mechanically correct the paint. Often times also called Swirl Removers or medium and light polishes. Some manufacturers use this term, when product has no real abrasive nature.

Chemical Cleaners --- this is the removal of some oxidation chemically. It also preps the paint chemically for the use of a wax or sealant. It is usually only as abrasive and the product being used to apply and remove it. Best used on clean and nice paint or for those not investing in a polisher and polishes.

flawbolt
05-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Why wouldn't you use a paint cleaner after claying? Claying removes 'above surace bonded contaminants' whereas a paint cleanser removes 'embedded contaminants'. After polishing one can simply do an IPA wipe down.

Rsurfer
05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Why wouldn't you use a paint cleaner after claying? Claying removes 'above surace bonded contaminants' whereas a paint cleanser removes 'embedded contaminants'. After polishing one can simply do an IPA wipe down.So clay doesn't remove as you call it, imbedded contaminants?

flawbolt
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
As far as I know, clay removes 'above surface contaminants' and that is what the patents claim. One can test this...wash a car, clay it, and then use a paint cleanser - in most cases there will be residue on the pad used in the cleanser step. In a lot of ways this may be considered an obsessive-compulsive step and I don't think many follow this process...but I don' think it is incorrect to use a cleanser after claying and prior to polishing.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
As far as I know, clay removes 'above surface contaminants' and that is what the patents claim. One can test this...wash a car, clay it, and then use a paint cleanser - in most cases there will be residue on the pad used in the cleanser step. In a lot of ways this may be considered an obsessive-compulsive step and I don't think many follow this process...but I don' think it is incorrect to use a cleanser after claying and prior to polishing.

The thing with a paint cleaner is that it has oils in it, so I don't see the point of doing that after claying. I usually go over the paint with solvent.

Rsurfer
05-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't think it's incorrect, but IMO it's redundant. I do agree in using a paint cleaner after polishing.

Rsurfer
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM
The thing with a paint cleaner is that it has oils in it, so I don't see the point of doing that after claying. I usually go over the paint with solvent.Your are correct Dana, but ohhh it looks so sick after polishing.