PDA

View Full Version : Detailing outdoors? Tips Wanted

AdrenalineJunky
05-06-2010, 01:30 AM
As much as I would like to have access to a indoor detailing bay, I'm limited to using the driveway.

Does anyone have tips for detailing in the driveway? Dust/Pollen is terrible right now, and I would like to buff/polish a few vehicles.

rohnramirez
05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
For dust you just want to keep the driveway WET at all times. This will prevent wind from picking it up and landing on the car your working on. I don't know how to deal with pollen though. You also need something to use as a cover to keep the surface away from direct sunlight, a tent of some sort, forgot what it's called..lol.

jpegs13
05-06-2010, 04:35 AM
I washed my black truck yesterday morning, by 11:00 it was yellow-green. Washing it in or out doesn't really matter this time of year, the pollen is horrendous. And pollen is very abrasive, so any little bit in the area your polishing would be bad. Perhaps you could invest in one of those portable canopies with the roll down sides. They run anywhere from $350 to over $3,000

doctordon
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
If your question pertains to detailing in direct sunlight, Optimum and PoorBoy products can be used in direct hot sunlight. Just polish a small section at a time then remove. Try facing the vehicle north and south and work on the shaded side while you can and then turn the car around and work the other side.

If your question pertains to the pollen situation, as jpegs13 stated above it will be no time until it is covered in pollen again. If you have an air compressor, you can remove the pollen from the section you are working on. It's just a shame that when you're finished the car will covered in pollen again.

jmp09fg2
05-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Always try and work in the shade. As someone who can rarely get a garage to work out of I have learned that hot paint and some products just don't work together. Good luck though. I am in for answers at least.

ScottB
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
spend the extra $$ for a collapsible canopy !

vern1
05-08-2010, 09:25 PM
how about something called a patio umbrella?? way way cheaper than a portable garage and you can just move them around

i also have no driveway and will work on one side then the next to keep it out of the sun but frankly i have worked with the menzerna products and even with a lot of sun they worked fine

snowking724
05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
good to know menz,thanks

JohnnyC
05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I went to WalMart and bought one of those collapsible canopies for like $80.00 and it was well worth it.

ScottB
05-09-2010, 07:25 AM
how about something called a patio umbrella?? way way cheaper than a portable garage and you can just move them around

i also have no driveway and will work on one side then the next to keep it out of the sun but frankly i have worked with the menzerna products and even with a lot of sun they worked fine

might not be big enough to cover a car, and most need a stand or something to hold them up. I prefer four legs to one also so it doesnt tip over and scratch the finish being worked upon.

vern1
05-09-2010, 08:26 AM
i have 2 umbrellas and stands for the yard and i just set them up around the car. they dont cover the whole car but you cant work on the whole car at the same time anyways. i just move them when needed. i wouldnt use them if it was real windy but work great for me, avoids spending extra cash since i already have them and i dont have to convince the wife that i am putting a big canopy in the front yard. all good for me anyways

A4 1.8tqm
05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
For dust you just want to keep the driveway WET at all times. This will prevent wind from picking it up and landing on the car your working on.

Why didn't I think of that? The wind is always kicking up dust from the gravel road leading to my driveway. :doh:

rohnramirez
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Why didn't I think of that? The wind is always kicking up dust from the gravel road leading to my driveway. :doh:

It's just best practice when painting without an oven. I just used the same idea when i'm detailing in an open area. :)