PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars # 21 on uncoated aluminum

tuscarora dave
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Mike, Do you know if #21 will bond to uncoated aluminum? This question is in regards to the Grumman Olson aluminum truck that I posted a thread about. I don't care too much for #21 on paint but I have a 64 ounce bottle of it sitting here awaiting some sort of use and thought I might use it to coat the smooth panels after I polish them.

Mike Phillips
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi Mike, Do you know if #21 will bond to uncoated aluminum? This question is in regards to the Grumman Olson aluminum truck that I posted a thread about. I don't care too much for #21 on paint but I have a 64 ounce bottle of it sitting here awaiting some sort of use and thought I might use it to coat the smooth panels after I polish them.

Hi Dave,

I don't know that the M21 will bond to polished aluminum. Had a talk with a chemist about using paint sealants and car waxes on non-paint surfaces and some will bond better than others and some might not bond at all, or at least enough to measure.

I honestly don't know. A waxy substance would to some degree for sure, but a synthetic polymer is a different animal altogether, or I guess I should say a different molecule altogehter...

You could always try, maybe one of our in-house chemists could chime in...

If I were in your shoes and had the choice of doing something or nothing I would choose do something. Doing something is almost always better than a poke in the eye.

:)

tuscarora dave
05-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Doing something is almost always better than a poke in the eye. :)

Thanks Mike, that is a good way of looking at things. I am just going to do it and see.