PDA

View Full Version : LSP's that allow spoilers to "flex"???

MobolWerks
05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Mike,

I keep reading about needing to use specific products for areas on vehicles that "flex", such as the rear spoiler on a Porsche, and I am interested in hearing your point of view on specific cleaning and protecting products.

I am assuming that wax in general would not prevent this "flexing", but what about a paint sealant??

Also, what are some of your favorite products for carbon fiber - like that found on a Ferrari, etc. ?? I understand that they are typically clear coated, so I am assuming you would use whatever you used on the paint, but I just want to be certain that is the BEST way to do things, rather than just ONE WAY to do things.

Thanks!

ScottB
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I know their are Flex additives added to paint in certain areas of cars, but never heard about wax/sealants. Lets here more ...

sullysdetailing
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I know their are Flex additives added to paint in certain areas of cars, but never heard about wax/sealants. Lets here more ...

Same Here

MobolWerks
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I can't remember the exact phrasing the writers used, but essentially certain chemicals damaged the "flex" agent over time...

I highly doubt this would be an immediate problem, but I am curious about the long-term effects of certain chemicals, waxes, and sealants on specific parts or treatments on expensive vehicles.

One instance of this would be that Corvette warns people about applying a light colored wax to the carbon fiber on one of their newer models, due to a lighter wax being "rubbed in" to the fiber, resulting in tiny white dots all over the roof...

MobolWerks
05-04-2010, 02:53 PM
I know the Vette thing sounds rediculous, but it was Chevy that actually wrote that, so I am assuming it is valid in some sense....

A4 1.8tqm
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
One instance of this would be that Corvette warns people about applying a light colored wax to the carbon fiber on one of their newer models, due to a lighter wax being "rubbed in" to the fiber, resulting in tiny white dots all over the roof...

IDK about flex agents etc, but the above sounds similar to wax getting into solvent popping. I would think that the resin used for carbon fiber would be strong enough to resist a wax penetrating the surface. :dunno:

RaskyR1
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't think any wax or sealant would have a negative effect on the flexibility of paint or the flex additives...Harsh solvents maybe. The carbon fiber pieces on the Vette is a different matter.

cnfowler
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I, too, have heard about the Corvette's carbon fiber roof. It is in the owner's manual.

Colin

Lasthope05
05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
The carbon fiber in corvettes are different form your other vacuum bagged/molded carbon fiber parts. On the corvette's they spray on top of bare carbon fiber weave. That is why there are little dimples in the panels as the clear sinks into the weave's crevaces. Chevy opposes using wax on the panels because most OTC waxes leave a white residue that gets trapped in the little dimples. They are covering their a** by saying this.

You shouldnt believe everything you hear about wax or sealent being detrimental to panels that have flex additives to them. Did you know all bumpers and plastic painted trim pieces use flex additives in them also? If they didnt the paint would crack as soon as they flexed, and they flex a lot more and a spoiler ever would. I have yet to see one bumper's paint fail because someone put a layer of wax on it.

rohnramirez
05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Resins, the chemical gel/liquid, used in constructing fiberglass and carbon fiber appear to be porous. My bumper was prepped properly but had to be repainted twice because the fiberglass was absorbing some of the paint that created a solvent-pop-look. Prior to spraying the paint, the surface seemed leveled, so i would assume the pores are microscopic. Just sharing my experience. :)

MobolWerks
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
The carbon fiber in corvettes are different form your other vacuum bagged/molded carbon fiber parts. On the corvette's they spray on top of bare carbon fiber weave. That is why there are little dimples in the panels as the clear sinks into the weave's crevaces. Chevy opposes using wax on the panels because most OTC waxes leave a white residue that gets trapped in the little dimples. They are covering their a** by saying this.

You shouldnt believe everything you hear about wax or sealent being detrimental to panels that have flex additives to them. Did you know all bumpers and plastic painted trim pieces use flex additives in them also? If they didnt the paint would crack as soon as they flexed, and they flex a lot more and a spoiler ever would. I have yet to see one bumper's paint fail because someone put a layer of wax on it.

I wasn't actually worried about paint system failure, but rather, I am interested in which products would be best suited for the materials I am working with - I realize it is unlikely that I would cause failure, but at the same time, I am assuming that there may be a better LSP choice out there somewhere....

Whatcha think??

Lasthope05
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Well Im sure there are products that are marketed for carbon fiber/specitaly type paints/panels, but I am currently unaware of them.

I do know of Swissvax Opaque that is marketed towards matte or satin paint finishes.