PDA

View Full Version : To extract or steam?

Pages : [1] 2

krzdimond
05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I have been using the LGM for about a year now and it has worked fine for what it is. I am now getting more and more interior jobs and want to cut my time down so I can do more vehicles per day. I have about $800 allocated for new equipment and I am not sure which is better for what we do. Both technologies claim to be the best so I am asking if anyone here has used both and what are the pros/cons of each.

this is what I have extrapolated from the research:

Steamers:

Great on dash/ trim
Good on carpets/ headliner
Not so good on cloth seats

Extractor:

Great on carpets
Good on Seats
Not so good on headliner
Dash? Uh, no.

AeroCleanse
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I have been using the LGM for about a year now and it has worked fine for what it is. I am now getting more and more interior jobs and want to cut my time down so I can do more vehicles per day. I have about $800 allocated for new equipment and I am not sure which is better for what we do. Both technologies claim to be the best so I am asking if anyone here has used both and what are the pros/cons of each.

this is what I have extrapolated from the research:

Steamers:

Great on dash/ trim
Good on carpets/ headliner
Not so good on cloth seats

Extractor:

Great on carpets
Good on Seats
Not so good on headliner
Dash? Uh, no.

Why do you say not so good on cloth seats? They work great on cloth seats.

I used to have a hot water extractor didn't like it (Durrmaid), sold it, bought a steamer. The steamer along with the right chemicals does a fantastic job and seats are dry very quickly.

If it were me, I'd buy the steamer first, and then if you find a need, buy an extractor.

dvc61
05-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Streamer, hands down. Go to attention to details website at Detailing Success Home Page - Car Detailing school (http://www.detailingsuccess.com) and check out his video about the steam cleaner he uses. Just spent a week there and I can vouch for it, seats included. As for the rest of the car----wow! Amazing what these things can do. Your interior jobs step to a whole new level that you just can't achieve with an apc and towel/brushes. Every crack or crevice that you want to clean can be cleaned. I don't have one yet but it is on my "must buy" list.

Doug

dragster
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Go will the steamer.

krzdimond
05-04-2010, 07:09 AM

From comments on this and other forum boards.

I was thinking steamer too.

AeroCleanse
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
From comments on this and other forum boards.

I was thinking steamer too.

I did some really nasty seats on a Hummer H1. First vacuum, then spray lightly with Folex, agitate the worst areas, wrap a microfiber towel over the steamer head and "scrub" away. Seats were clean in no time and dry in less than 5mins.

krzdimond
05-08-2010, 03:31 AM
I am going to go with the vapor steamer. Now the research begins as to which one.....

dvc61
05-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I am going to go with the vapor steamer. Now the research begins as to which one.....

Go to Detailing Success Home Page - Car Detailing school (http://www.detailingsuccess.com) and call Diane and Renny Doyle. Renny has been using steamers for years and in fact was pretty much the first one to start using them for detailing. He has researched or used them all and the machine he uses now has actually been modified as per his suggestions. The hose is apparently the weak point on most steamers and theirs is beefed up to handle years of use. They actually sell the units themselves. Good Luck! (tell them Doug from Sag Harbor sent ya).

AeroCleanse
05-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Depends on your budget. Kevin at Kleen Car sells some nice ones. Vapor Chief steam cleaners | commercial steam machines | industrial steam machin - Kleen Car (http://www.1car-detailing-training.com/steamers-dry-vapor-c-12.html?osCsid=49d4d20b16db33c71b7bb1de86a20458)

SRHTX
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM

I used to have a hot water extractor didn't like it (Durrmaid), sold it, bought a steamer. The steamer along with the right chemicals does a fantastic job and seats are dry very quickly.

If it were me, I'd buy the steamer first, and then if you find a need, buy an extractor.

:iagree: 100% !! Since I bought my steamer, that is about the only thing I use inside clients vehicles. It cuts out interior work time dramatically. Also, you do not have to use many cleaning chemicals at all. I mainly use Megs APC +, woolite, Folex, and something else (Can't remember lol).

My $.02

TerryAdams
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM

In your research, look here too:
Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners (http://www.steam-cleaners-direct.com/)

It might be the same as Renny is selling, without the hose mod. I didn't need the hose modified, so I chose to go with the "stock" VX 5000 vapor steamer.

SRHTX
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
In your research, look here too:
Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners (http://www.steam-cleaners-direct.com/)

It might be the same as Renny is selling, without the hose mod. I didn't need the hose modified, so I chose to go with the "stock" VX 5000 vapor steamer.

That is the steamer I have/use.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
05-30-2010, 02:39 AM
The Vx 5000 Seems to be VERY popular. Its on my list of things I want to get as well...that $700 is a bank breaker thou lol but once I get it I will jump on it with all 4's!

richy
05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
I have the Gaia which is a steamer/extractor/vacuum all in one. I have owned it for 1.5 years and love it. Never a moment's trouble with it. A few other members on here have picked one up too and they have been delighted.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
05-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I have the Gaia which is a steamer/extractor/vacuum all in one. I have owned it for 1.5 years and love it. Never a moment's trouble with it. A few other members on here have picked one up too and they have been delighted.

Do you have a link to the Gaia that you are talking about?