PDA

View Full Version : Need quite a few things...

Pages : [1] 2

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Seeing as I'm quite new to this forum, but not new to detailing, I need quite a few items for detailing my car. It should be noted, I don't do it for profit necessarily (unless my friends or relatives want me to detail their cars) I usually just detail my black '07 cobalt and summit white '09 Cobalt SS. I would like your opinions on my buying list:

- Autogeek foam master foam gun (quart or larger)

-DP Xtreme Foam Formula

- Autogeek complete two bucket wash system with grit guard and "rinse" and "wash"

- Metro Vac N Blo vacuum (portable or full size?)

- Flex XC3401VRG Wolfgang Concours Polishing Kit (?)

- DP Poli-coat paint sealant

- DP Max Wax

- Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant

Any suggestions for the following?

- Cleaning wheels (I have Pinnacle Gel Wheel Cleaner, but wasn't that impressed with it...maybe just because of the lack of foam? No clue. It did clean pretty well but I've heard of others using an "APC" from Meguiars or something that's actually a foaming wash.)

- Engine degreaser (No clue where to start here, have heard Meguiars has dillutible products that work well, as well as Simple Green and DP Degreaser)

- Trim cleaner/protectant (Yet again, no clue where to start here...have heard a lot of good things about 303 Aerospace protectant)

- Interior cleaner (Am thinking about DP Total Interior Cleaner (I have vinyl dash with leather door inserts and leather appointed cloth seats.)

You should also know, I have the correct tools for washing (sheepskin mitts, microfiber mitts, DP auto bath shampoo, daytona speedmaster, pinnacle black onyx tire gel, etc.)

Also, I have never used a true buffer, I have used a cheap $40 rotary from Home Depot (which basically just saved me from getting carpel tunnel, did nothing for polishing..) But I have meticulously watched Mike Phillips and multiple other videos and read how-to's about using a dual action polisher such as the PC7424XP and FLEXxc3401vrg. I am choosing to use the Flex for the power to remove swirls/scratches and the noise level ( the videos I've seen, the Flex has been quieter). I don't ever want to look back and say "I wish I would have bought the Flex instead of working with this Porter Cable..".

I know this is a lot to look over, any input is greatly appreciated!! :dblthumb2: Im the MAN

JohnnyC
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
P21S Total auto wash for the engine or Amazing roll-off and then follow it up with 303 Aerospace protectant

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Johnny! Nice to see you again. I have heard great things about Amazing roll-off and 303, I've seen good things about P21S as well. Amazing roll-off must work quite well for the price, I see it all over the forums.

CEE DOG
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
P21S Total auto wash for the engine or Amazing roll-off and then follow it up with 303 Aerospace protectant

Good call on the 303! Extremely versatile. Interior, seals, engine, antennae, wiper arms....

JohnnyC
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Just like the name says AMAZING:xyxthumbs: As far as the wheels megs has wheel brightner which i use and i like it. And their apc works great, and whats good is you can dilute most of their stuff to different ratios so you save.:props:

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Just like the name says AMAZING:xyxthumbs: As far as the wheels megs has wheel brightner which i use and i like it. And their apc works great, and whats good is you can dilute most of their stuff to different ratios so you save.:props:

Wheel brightener, awesome! I have silver painted wheels so that should work great, thanks! And I might have to pick up some APC as well for cleaning various things on the car. :props:

JohnnyC
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
As far as everything else you listed it looks like you going to have a good day of detailing.:buffing::buffing::buffing:

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
As far as everything else you listed it looks like you going to have a good day of detailing.:buffing::buffing::buffing:

Thanks for the help! :dblthumb2:

Any other suggestions or omissions for any products listed above are welcome and appreciated.

JohnnyC
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the help! :dblthumb2:

Any other suggestions or omissions for any products listed above are welcome and appreciated.

YOUR WELCOME,GOTTA HELP OUT A FELLOW COBALT OWNER :dblthumb2:

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
YOUR WELCOME,GOTTA HELP OUT A FELLOW COBALT OWNER :dblthumb2:

For sure, we have to stick together, haha!

CEE DOG
05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Cobalt, it looks like you've done your research and have pretty much everything taken into account.

On the Vaccum that really depends on the space you have and if you are going to want to move it around much in the future. I beleive it is the same motor. Only difference is bag size and maybe attachments.

On the Flex bundle that looks nice if you are looking for those included products anyway. If so you already get the Wolfgang sealant with it so you could skip the DP sealant to see how you like the WG sealant. I haven't used either (using Ultima PGP) Not sure but you could call AG and see if they'll switch the CCS pads for the flat pads. Up to you... On second thought maybe hang onto the ccs pads. Looks like you only get 1 of each of those 3 pads so could be nice for you to have to try. You will need more pads. I would get either:
A) 3+ cyan HT pads, 4+ tangerine HT pads, 3 or 4 white LC flat pads, & 3 or 4 grey/black LC flat pads.

B) 3+ orange LC flat pads, 3 or 4 white LC flat pads, & 3 or 4 grey/black LC flat pads.

I like the HT pads for correction but the Flat pads might be a bit more durable. If you went with pption A another though is to hold off on purchasing the white and grey pads and just wait a couple weeks till the HT Crimson pads land at AG.

I've heard a lot of great things on the Max Wax but take a look at the Natty's Blue wax also. Just started using it recently and I really liked it.

I just got the DP interior cleaner and only used it for a moment so I'm not sure yet personally but I loved the smell and didn't have any complaints. Just haven't really tested it yet. I'm sure you can't fo wrong with it though.

For a trim protectant the 303 will work great. Another one that you might take a look at (it's on my list) is the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. That Ultima T&TG is up their in price though. I am waiting on it to hit BOGO again... (Please)

I use Griots rubber Cleaner for my tires and some trim but depending on the vehicle that may not be needed.

For wheels I hear P21S Gel and Griots Wheel Cleaner. Haven't tried P21S but I like the Griots and the price is better the the P21S.

DARK HORSE
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Cobalt, it looks like you've done your research and have pretty much everything taken into account.

On the Vaccum that really depends on the space you have and if you are going to want to move it around much in the future. I beleive it is the same motor. Only difference is bag size and maybe attachments.

On the Flex bundle that looks nice if you are looking for those included products anyway. If so you already get the Wolfgang sealant with it so you could skip the DP sealant to see how you like the WG sealant. I haven't used either (using Ultima PGP) Not sure but you could call AG and see if they'll switch the CCS pads for the flat pads. Up to you... On second thought maybe hang onto the ccs pads. Looks like you only get 1 of each of those 3 pads so could be nice for you to have to try. You will need more pads. I would get either:
A) 3+ cyan HT pads, 4+ tangerine HT pads, 3 or 4 white LC flat pads, & 3 or 4 grey/black LC flat pads.

B) 3+ orange LC flat pads, 3 or 4 white LC flat pads, & 3 or 4 grey/black LC flat pads.

I like the HT pads for correction but the Flat pads might be a bit more durable. If you went with pption A another though is to hold off on purchasing the white and grey pads and just wait a couple weeks till the HT Crimson pads land at AG.

I've heard a lot of great things on the Max Wax but take a look at the Natty's Blue wax also. Just started using it recently and I really liked it.

I just got the DP interior cleaner and only used it for a moment so I'm not sure yet personally but I loved the smell and didn't have any complaints. Just haven't really tested it yet. I'm sure you can't fo wrong with it though.

For a trim protectant the 303 will work great. Another one that you might take a look at (it's on my list) is the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. That Ultima T&TG is up their in price though. I am waiting on it to hit BOGO again... (Please)

I use Griots rubber Cleaner for my tires and some trim but depending on the vehicle that may not be needed.

For wheels I hear P21S Gel and Griots Wheel Cleaner. Haven't tried P21S but I like the Griots and the price is better the the P21S.

Great advice!

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
CEE DOG, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

I'm thinking about going with the portable Vac N Blo (Seeing as it is the same power, just different weights and bags).

As for your suggestion on pads, I have no clue about different pad designs or durability. My knowledge is limited to what pads will cut at what level of defect severity (I don't know the durability or user differences because I have never used any) Which is why I assumed I should get a kit from Autogeek that was pre-assembled. Obviously I have some more reading to do about the differences between pad types (I get overwhelmed when seeing all the information about them!)

Honestly I don't have loyalty to Max Wax, I have never used it and I, too, have heard great things about Natty's Blue Wax. Having said that, my car is Summit White, does the Blue formula of Natty's only produce great results on dark colors? Or does it do equally as well on dark and light colors?

I do believe I'll go with the DP interior cleaner, its cheap and seems effective from what I've heard, and I love good smelling stuff!

I will take a look at the Ultima T&TG but will probably not buy it unless it's on sale, as you said. I will probably go with 303 on that.

As for tire cleaner, JohnnyC suggested Amazing Roll-off which could probably double as a tire cleaner but I will take a look at the Griot's rubber cleaner seeing as it seems like a great product at a cheap price.

As for the griot's wheel cleaner, I'm assuming since it's PH balanced it won't remove a wheel wax, such as my Poorboy's?

Thanks a lot Dark Horse and CEE DOG!

cobalt9123
05-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Oh and I almost forgot, while on the subject, what do you guys suggest for a Detailing clay/lubricant, and microfiber towels?

Right now I use either Meguiars or Mothers detailing clay kits that you can find OTC and my Microfibers are the cheaper Microtex Professional series 14 x 16 available at wally world (shame on me...)

Thanks again!

DARK HORSE
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh and I almost forgot, while on the subject, what do you guys suggest for a Detailing clay/lubricant, and microfiber towels?

Right now I use either Meguiars or Mothers detailing clay kits that you can find OTC and my Microfibers are the cheaper Microtex Professional series 14 x 16 available at wally world (shame on me...)

Thanks again!

Clay magic, Meggs clay, (both otc) and DP clay all work well and are priced very reasonable; as far as lube, you can use ONR diluted w/ water or even car wash soap both work well. As far as MF's PM sent...