PDA

View Full Version : Starting with detailing

snowborder714
05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I have been doing a lot of reading and research on detailing for a year or two now. I think I've come up with a process and list that should work well, but would like to see what you all think. I know everyone has an opinion about how to do things, in what order, what products, etc. but if there's anything that jumps out that is really wrong or a product that should be swapped out for another, feel free to let me know.

Here is my process laid out with the products I plan to use. Some of this stuff I already have and use, so I've marked that so you can see what I plan on purchasing. Although, if there's something I have that you know of a better recommendation, feel free to throw it out!

Exterior
Wash – Meguiar’s Gold Class [already have]
Clay – Sonus SFX clay and lubricant [already have]
Wash – Meguiar’s Gold Class [already have]
IPA wipedown - (half 91% IPA/half water)
Compound – Meguiars #105 with yellow or orange pads (if needed after test spot)
Swirl Remover – Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with orange pads
Finishing Polish – Meguiars #205 with white pads
IPA wipedown - (half 91% IPA/half water)
Glaze/Seal - Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with gray pads
Wax – Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 with blue or red pads [already have]
Detail spray – Finish Kare 425

Wheels
Clean – Eagle One A2Z All Wheel and Tire Cleaner [already have]
Dress Tires – Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel [already have]

Interior
Clean – 303 Aerospace Protectant [already have]

Flex XC 3401
Variety of Lake Country pads
- Flat
- Hydro-Tech
- CCS
- Kompressor
Cobra Cross Grove pads
Surbuf pads

(As for the pads, I'm not sure what all I'm going to get. I've read good things about the Hydro-Tech and Kompressors, and the Flats and CCS are just classic and proven. I wouldn't mind getting some of each, but don't necessarily need all colors in all models.)

And here are some of the vehicles that will be detailed.

My Eclipse (same paint as the Dodge Ram - not sure how it was applied though)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/7/4/5/6/5/img_3977__medium.jpg

My Ram (factory paint)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/road-course-autocross/102673d1257829496-plans-projects-09-10-offseason-related-road-racing-autox-rally-img_7989-1024x768-.jpg

My brother's Eclipse (and possibly the red Monte Carlo in the background) - both factory paint

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/7/5/5/6/8/img_8119800x600.jpg

snowking724
05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
you could prob skip the wolfgang tsr since your using 105/205 and i recommend menz power finish as a sealant. i just prepped and sealed from the the doors forward on my truck last night w/ wolfgang deep gloss and i think it's just as slick as the PL i put on a month ago and looks just as good. good luck,you're gonna be busy

snowborder714
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll look into that.

I think busy is an understatement! And who knows what my mom will say once she sees our vehicles. She'll probably want hers done as well!

snowborder714
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone else willing to take a look and give an opinion?

Dubbin1
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I would skip the tsr and maybe even the finishing glaze depending on how things look after the 205 (it finishes really well). I would also choose a better sealer then the NXT.

A4 1.8tqm
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
No need to dilute your 91% IPA. The reason to do an IPA wipe is to clean the surface from any oils and residues. That way you can see the true results you got from any given polishing step. No need to do it after clay and wash.

Let the test spot decide the polishes and order you use them, not a list (of course use common sense during the test spot).

If your wheels and tires are not actually in need of the cleaning power from a wheel cleaner, don't use one (wheel sealant helps). Car shampoo is enough, just don't put your wheel brushes in with wash mitts that are for paint.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze-finishing-polish-3-0.html) Is not a sealant, it's a finishing polish, it is essentially Menzerna "PO106FA" or "Nano polish".

If your sticking with OTC wax for now, I highly recommend trying Autoglym HD.

Use FK 425 sparingly

Jump on the DP Gloss tire gel, It's BOGO right now... DO IT! :D

Flex + Hydro-Tech = :dblthumb2:

rohnramirez
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Everyone has given great advice. I would throw in Four Star UPP as a sealant..hahah, i love it!

snowborder714
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I would skip the tsr and maybe even the finishing glaze depending on how things look after the 205 (it finishes really well). I would also choose a better sealer then the NXT.

I don't plan on doing every step on that list, obviously depending on how the test spot looks and how things finish. But just trying to be prepared for most situations because of the difference in paint.

I already have the NXT which is why I have it on the list. So I'd like to at least use some of the bottle so I don't feel like it was a total waste :p But I do know it's probably not the top pick for most people, so I'll look into something else as well.

No need to dilute your 91% IPA. The reason to do an IPA wipe is to clean the surface from any oils and residues. That way you can see the true results you got from any given polishing step. No need to do it after clay and wash.

Let the test spot decide the polishes and order you use them, not a list (of course use common sense during the test spot).

If your wheels and tires are not actually in need of the cleaning power from a wheel cleaner, don't use one (wheel sealant helps). Car shampoo is enough, just don't put your wheel brushes in with wash mitts that are for paint.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze-finishing-polish-3-0.html) Is not a sealant, it's a finishing polish, it is essentially Menzerna "PO106FA" or "Nano polish".

If your sticking with OTC wax for now, I highly recommend trying Autoglym HD.

Use FK 425 sparingly

Jump on the DP Gloss tire gel, It's BOGO right now... DO IT! :D

Flex + Hydro-Tech = :dblthumb2:

Good notes on the IPA wipe!

As I stated above, I'm just trying to prepare for most circumstances I might encounter, and don't plan on following that list to a T. The test spot and how things finish will determine the path I choose.

Wheel brushes never get mixed with wash mits! :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the other notes and heads ups. Definitely help out!

Everyone has given great advice. I would throw in Four Star UPP as a sealant..hahah, i love it!

I'll keep that in mind - thanks!

Streetlife
05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I would use WGDPS as my sealant if i were you, you won't regret it.:xyxthumbs: