PDA

View Full Version : New car prep advice

pokey
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Now that my new car is born and on a boat over here, I was wondering what I should use for a new car prep. The dealer has been instructed not to touch it on arrival. I showed him the kind of job his crew does washing cars by pointing out how swirled a display car was.

Here is what I was thinking if there were no swirls or imperfections:
Clay
Klasse aoi
Wolfgang's or DP's sealant

Was wondering if I should consider Menz 085rd as a prep prior to sealing instead.

The car is a 2010 Audi S4 Phantom Black with Magma Interior

AeroCleanse
05-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I do the following, wash, clay the Dodo Juice Lime Prime (vary the pad depending on the level of defects). After that, apply a coat of UPGP, wait 12hrs, apply a 2nd coat, wait another 12hrs, apply a 3rd coat, wait another 12hrs then apply a wax (if desired).

While this process takes a while (most of it not working but waiting), why not start out the right way.

ASPHALT ROCKET
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Now that my new car is born and on a boat over here, I was wondering what I should use for a new car prep. The dealer has been instructed not to touch it on arrival. I showed him the kind of job his crew does washing cars by pointing out how swirled a display car was.

Here is what I was thinking if there were no swirls or imperfections:
Clay
Klasse aoi
Wolfgang's or DP's sealant

Was wondering if I should consider Menz 085rd as a prep prior to sealing instead.

The car is a 2010 Audi S4 Phantom Black with Magma Interior

I would clay then, as long as there are no swirls move to 85rd and then a coat of WDGS will look great on black. I would not use a paint cleaner, use a finishing polish to bring out the true finish permanently. Congrats on the new ride.

loudog2
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I would just be prepared to have to do a litle polishing, then be surprised and happy if it is not needed. The Lime Prime mentioned above does have micro-abrasives, so it will clean the paint up(minor oxidation or swirls). 85RD is a little stronger and leaves black paint look stunning.

Maybe pick up a small bottle of power finish or 106FA in case something stronger is needed

pokey
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I do the following, wash, clay the Dodo Juice Lime Prime (vary the pad depending on the level of defects). After that, apply a coat of UPGP, wait 12hrs, apply a 2nd coat, wait another 12hrs, apply a 3rd coat, wait another 12hrs then apply a wax (if desired).

While this process takes a while (most of it not working but waiting), why not start out the right way.

Thanks for the advice. Since you are the local pro and I'm just a weekend guy, I may need to hire you for her her first prep so she is done right. I'm picking her up at Bergstrom.

pokey
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I would just be prepared to have to do a litle polishing, then be surprised and happy if it is not needed. The Lime Prime mentioned above does have micro-abrasives, so it will clean the paint up(minor oxidation or swirls). 85RD is a little stronger and leaves black paint look stunning.

Maybe pick up a small bottle of power finish or 106FA in case something stronger is needed

Thanks. I have both products so I may just need to see what she looks like. This hobby has driven me to get a black car. What was i thinking :xyxthumbs:

AeroCleanse
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks. I have both products so I may just need to see what she looks like. This hobby has driven me to get a black car. What was i thinking :xyxthumbs:

I have Menz 085rd, along with a few others of the Menz line.

Hard to know what your new car will need until it can be inspected in person. BTW, so true about Bergstrom...take a look at the Porches for example..swirls and holograms.

Dubbin1
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
This hobby has driven me to get a black car. What was i thinking :xyxthumbs:

You weren't :)

Now you're going to go insane tying to keep it looking its best.

pokey
05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I know! Since i took up this hobby a year ago I check out the paint of every car I see. Only perfection will do for me and I get a black car. It was a moment of weakness after drooling over the corrections posted here. The red leather interior will hopefully look good as well.