PDA

View Full Version : Differnt types of ORBITALS!!!

Valuablez
05-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Ok I was going to get the Flex and the GG. Now after some thought I'm not sure. I would like to ask some questions to the experts or semi-pro detailers or anybody who knows about random orbitals. So from me reading, researching, and surfing the net. I have found these Orbitals:
Meguiars G110v2
Griot's Garage 6"=10ft or 25ft cable (Is it worth the money for bigger plug)?
Porter cable 7424XP
Flex 3401
Das-6
What I would like to know is which one vibrates the most, is the loudest, strongest (weakest), and if theres a way can you rate these polishers from 1 (being the best) to 5 (being the worst). I have read alot but I don't think specs can say much about real world experience. I just recently saw the Das-6, I haven't heard alot about this orbital on this forum and would like to know why? Is it a bad orbital? Just trying to narrow down my tool to get. Read the Porter Cable vibrates way to much and gives the user itchy fingers. Which model is the most user friendly, I mean which one could you use for hours without fatigue? I read the PC has to most accessories but I'm not sold on it, which one of these is the easiest to get pads and backplates for? Was gonna buy a most of the tools but decided against it, just going to get a couple tools and buy more products. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

JonMiles
05-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Flex is the best paint corrector, griots is solid (I really like the 3"), Megs I hear is good but never had experience with it. PC is a great tool for a beginner, but doesn't have the same power that griots and flex do. My vote is for the Flex, it has the most power, best correcting power, and not a whole lot of vibration, you can also get the edge kit for it. If you are looking for 2 DA's the flex and griots would be great, but if you are just looking for 2 machines to do it all then a rotary and a flex would be another good route to take. Overall the flex can do the quickest and best correction of the DA's.

Valuablez
05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
The GG 3# your talking about, what pads do you use with it? Are the pads proprietary, how's the backing plate, and is it possible to use the 4" pads that are readily available?
Thanks

Dubbin1
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
The GG 3# your talking about, what pads do you use with it? Are the pads proprietary, how's the backing plate, and is it possible to use the 4" pads that are readily available?
Thanks

I wouldn't even bother with the GG 3", is doesn't have much correcting power at all.

Valuablez
05-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I know people have opinions but the two posts up top. Why do you like the 3" and why do you not like the 3" (Because of correcting ability?)
Thanks

C. Charles Hahn
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the GG 3", is doesn't have much correcting power at all.

Even the revised version? I thought Mike said it was greatly improved over the first-gen one....

Either way the only reason to even have one of those 3" units is to fit into tight spots. Otherwise a small backing plate on your regular polisher will do the trick just fine.

JonMiles
05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
The reason I like the Griots 3" is because I work on alot of cars with tight spots like under mirrors and complex bumpers. It is a great tool for correcting in areas where a larger polisher can't get too without bumping. You can get to some of the areas with a larger machine like a PC with a small pad and plate but the head on the GG doesn't get in the way like the other machines.