PDA

View Full Version : Is my washing process removing wax?

LichtS
04-30-2010, 12:21 PM
When I wash my car, I use CG Citrus Wash and Gloss, the yellow concentrate. I squeeze maybe a dime size of the wash into a five gallon bucket and fill it. I then use a wash gun that I picked up at AutoZone, it holds soap and mixes it with the water. I use maybe a cap full in that.

I use the gun to rinse the car and pre-soak the paint. After it is soaked, I use a microfiber mitt (two bucket system and grit guards). Could this process be removing wax by using too much soap? I've read recent threads about soap removing wax and it got me a bit worried.

Thanks. Feed back please

kb2ehj
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Probably not removing wax.

But you might want to ask that question on a different forum(Autopia or Detailing Bliss).....It's generally frowned upon when asking questions about product usage when the product is not sold by AG.

Mark

Dubbin1
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Probably not removing wax.

But you might want to ask that question on a different forum(Autopia or Detailing Bliss).....It's generally frowned upon when asking questions about product usage when the product is not sold by AG.

Mark

Only frowned upon when posting links. You can ask anything you want here and get welcome advice.

A4 1.8tqm
04-30-2010, 04:23 PM
I use CG Citrus Wash and Clear exclusively for stripping wax before polishing or re-waxing. I'm sure Wash and Gloss is different, but if the citrus cleaners are the same I would think that W&G is stripping your wax and leaving it's own form of protection. If it's not like W&C then your good. Does the soap feel really soft and gentle, or more harsh and squeaky clean after-wards?

loudog2
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I use W&G for real dirty cars. Use it as 1oz per 2-2.5 gallons for normal washing. Then 2oz per gallon for stripping.

A4 1.8tqm
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
So, IMO, if the soap CAN be used for stripping wax in a higher concentration, it's probably not the best soap for maintaining a wax and will reduce the wax's longevity. Also IMO, a boutique shampoo is the best for keeping a wax performing well. I also add a capfull of ONR to my wash and rinse (rinse gets soap as well) buckets to be extra safe and gentle.

ScottB
04-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I found that wash to be rather harsh on most carnaubas. Perhaps I too did not dilute it properly but went back to Optimum and Pinnacle when using a wax LSP versus sealant.

loudog2
04-30-2010, 09:04 PM
So, IMO, if the soap CAN be used for stripping wax in a higher concentration, it's probably not the best soap for maintaining a wax and will reduce the wax's longevity. Also IMO, a boutique shampoo is the best for keeping a wax performing well. I also add a capfull of ONR to my wash and rinse (rinse gets soap as well) buckets to be extra safe and gentle.
That is why I use it only on severly dirt cars that need it before polishing or waxing. Otherwise I use Pinnacle bodyworks w/a oz of ONR.

Emile
05-01-2010, 09:14 PM
While CG says that CW&G can be used as a maintenance wash soap, I called CG once and I was told that CW&G is their strongest paintwork cleanser. If your existing protection isn't very durable, CW&G will unintentionally strip some or all of the protection but you may not notice because the gloss enhancers in the soap will still provide your paint with water-beading protection.

I think you should save CW&G for cleaning wheels and for stripping LSP, and just use an LSP-friendly wash soap for maintenance washes, such as Optimum Car Wash.

A4 1.8tqm
05-02-2010, 04:58 AM
That is why I use it only on severely dirt cars that need it before polishing or waxing. Otherwise I use Pinnacle bodywork shampoo w/a oz of ONR. Just how I use CG CW&C too, and Shampoo + ONR = :xyxthumbs:

While CG says that CW&G can be used as a maintenance wash soap, I called CG once and I was told that CW&G is their strongest paintwork cleanser. If your existing protection isn't very durable, CW&G will unintentionally strip some or all of the protection but you may not notice because the gloss enhancers in the soap will still provide your paint with water-beading protection.

I think you should save CW&G for cleaning wheels and for stripping LSP, and just use an LSP-friendly wash soap for maintenance washes, such as Optimum Car Wash.

Nice confirmation Emile. :props:

LichtS
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the explanation guys... I really appreciate it. I'm going to be picking up some Optimum for sure!

Details Matter!