PDA

View Full Version : How much pad rotation with a DA?

AV8R
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I've asked this a couple of times within other threads, but it hasn't been answered so I'll ask it here. When using something like the GG DA and a LC Tangerine/Cyan pad with 105 is there a rule of thumb for how much pad rotation you want to shoot for? Obviously, pressure on the pad controls rotation so I'm trying to get a feel for what, if anything, I should be looking for. When I was using my GG last night I was pressing with enough weight to slow the rotation to maybe 30-50 RPM

Rsurfer
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
I've asked this a couple of times within other threads, but it hasn't been answered so I'll ask it here. When using something like the GG DA and a LC Tangerine/Cyan pad with 105 is there a rule of thumb for how much pad rotation you want to shoot for? Obviously, pressure on the pad controls rotation so I'm trying to get a feel for what, if anything, I should be looking for. When I was using my GG last night I was pressing with enough weight to slow the rotation to maybe 30-50 RPMTry doing a 18" X 18" test area and see if it turns out ok. If not, apply more pressure. You need to have the pad rotating. There are no set rules as it is hard to see your results from behind a key board. :buffing:

Mike Phillips
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
You want to apply firm pressure but no so much pressure the pad is rotating in slow motion. I've seen guys do this and preach this and if that works for them then that's good but I think it means you're pushing down so hard that it borderlines on mis-use of the tool and the panel is probably warping or bending under this kind of downward pressure.

Besides that experience from buffing out thousands of cars tells me you don't need that kind of extreme pressure to get good results.

I think if you watch this video carefully you can see how fast the pad is rotating, at least you can see enough to give you a ballpark idea as to how fast the pad should be rotating.

How to Remove Swirls and Scratches using the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/porter-2-20-10.html)

:)

AV8R
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
can see enough to give you a ballpark idea as to how fast the pad should be rotating.

How to Remove Swirls and Scratches using the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/porter-2-20-10.html)

:)

Thanks, Mike. I watched a variation of that video earlier today and am on my way out to work on another panel of this truck now. I did order some 5.5" pads, 105 & 205 as well as some other goodies today to allow me to try some heavier cut products at a later time.

Appreciate your time and experience.

thanks