PDA

View Full Version : is it just me?

corolla619
04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
so we have had high winds here the past couple of days. usually i will still go wash the car and go through my normal steps, in this case would be wash, dry, use my fav qd'er followed with souveran spray. i usually do this every day minus the wash if it stays nice out. well today the wind stopped so i did my 2 bucket wash followed by my procedures and a good paste wax. seriously as soon as i was done....wham, in came the wind and snow/rain:nomore:seems like mother nature does not like me lol.

my question is, how many of you are as anal about your vehicles as i am? i mean, i pretty much have to keep my car clean to be able to relax. my wife says i need help(in a joking manner)but i do have ocd with my vehicles. hopefully i'm not the only one.

so let's see how many of you ride the same train.

JonMiles
04-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Sounds like overkill to me. At $25 a bottle for souveran spray I don't think that I could handle it. Why not just get a bottle of ONR and mix it for QD then just spray wax every week or so? A good coat of sealant or nuba should protect your finish for a good while, so as long as you keep the paint clean it should be fine.

5.4 Shelby
04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
I QD nearly everytime I drive it, but, not wash. I dont want water in all the knooks and crannies all the time. And I never drive it in the rain.

corolla619
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I QD nearly everytime I drive it, but, not wash. I dont want water in all the knooks and crannies all the time. And I never drive it in the rain.

^^^^you sir are a carbon copy of myself. i also qd after every drive and every day. never goes out in the rain.

see, i guess i like my car perfectly clean and at it's best every time i take it out for a drive. on top of that, everybody in my city knows my car and i would be ashamed to be driving it dirty.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-29-2010, 10:01 PM
I, personally, would never do that. The less you touch the paint, the better. :)

EDIT: If you don't drive your car that much, that makes plent of sense.

5.4 Shelby
04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I, personally, would never do that. The less you touch the paint, the better. :)

EDIT: If you don't drive your car that much, that makes plent of sense.
I drive it about 5k miles/year. I use a very gentle technique for the cleaning wipe, then a "normal" wipe for the drying. I just barely pull the MF over the heavily sprayed surface. Turn the towel with each wipe and use several towels to do the whole car. I have been using that technique for almost 3 years. I had not polished it until a month ago. It didn't need it. There were only minimal swirls. I have wiped it down 3 times since polishing. No visible swirls.

Granted, it is a white car with very hard paint. There may be some you cannot see. But I am on constant vigilence for swirls using sun, flourescent, halogen and xenon light sources.

IF the car gets very dirty, I do wash it. I wont QD a lot of dirt off. But washing means drying. And drying means touching the paint (not a fan of the idea of blowing gravel and crap on my car with a leaf blower). So, I am still touching the paint either way.

I'm not afraid to touch the paint. Part of the pleasure of owning a nice car is to detail it. Of course, I am careful, but, if it gets a few swirls, I'll just polish them out :buffing:.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I drive it about 5k miles/year. I use a very gentle technique for the cleaning wipe, then a "normal" wipe for the drying. I just barely pull the MF over the heavily sprayed surface. Turn the towel with each wipe and use several towels to do the whole car. I have been using that technique for almost 3 years. I had not polished it until a month ago. It didn't need it. There were only minimal swirls. I have wiped it down 3 times since polishing. No visible swirls.

Granted, it is a white car with very hard paint. There may be some you cannot see. But I am on constant vigilence for swirls using sun, flourescent, halogen and xenon light sources.

IF the car gets very dirty, I do wash it. I wont QD a lot of dirt off. But washing means drying. And drying means touching the paint (not a fan of the idea of blowing gravel and crap on my car with a leaf blower). So, I am still touching the paint either way.

I'm not afraid to touch the paint. Part of the pleasure of owning a nice car is to detail it. Of course, I am careful, but, if it gets a few swirls, I'll just polish them out :buffing:.
Cool. :props:

I was thinking in daily driver mode like my z06. I couldn't see myself QD everyday. I have a beater for the rain. However, it rarely rains in Los Angeles.

5.4 Shelby
04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Cool. :props:

I was thinking in daily driver mode like my z06. I couldn't see myself QD everyday. I have a beater for the rain. However, it rarely rains in Los Angeles.
Not quite a daily driver for me. Indiana weather is quite variable. I do drive it to work and such on nice days (like today). I have actually driven it 3 times this week. I will clean it up tonight or tomorrow night. If not for any other reason than to get out to the Man Cave, drink a few beers and get some "me" time. The job is rather stressful at times and working on my paint is therapy.

5.4 Shelby
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
^^^^you sir are a carbon copy of myself. i also qd after every drive and every day. never goes out in the rain.

see, i guess i like my car perfectly clean and at it's best every time i take it out for a drive. on top of that, everybody in my city knows my car and i would be ashamed to be driving it dirty.
It looks like a beautiful ride. Glad you are keeping it that way.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
The job is rather stressful at times and working on my paint is therapy.
Couldn't agree more! :dblthumb2:

Emile
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
No, it isn't just you. While I don't mind my car getting dirty and I'm not a daily QD-er, I manage my schedule so that every week-end my car gets a thorough wash. :xyxthumbs:

corolla619
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
It looks like a beautiful ride. Glad you are keeping it that way.

thanks man. i have more money into this car in suspension,enginemods, and viisual than when i bought it brand new in '05.