PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Car???

Valuablez
04-29-2010, 03:48 AM
I just bought a new car and would like to know what soaps, polishes, waxes, etc. to use on it? Just wondering what I need to use to get the wet look (Paint dripping wet look), what polishes do I need? I have read about paint corrections on older cars but what do I use on a brand new car? What's your opinion on dressings? I've heard the 303 products work really well. Do I use M105 or M205 still? Do I need to use a prewax cleaner? Hope you guys get my drift. By the way the car is Blizzard Pearl (Kinda like a white).
Thanks

flawbolt
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Is your car brand new as in, off the lot? or is it new to you but used? If it is brand new then you most likely won't need to polish it at all...and probably won't have to polish it for a few years if you maintain it properly. Even if it is brand new it could probably use a good cleaning. I would recommend an initial wash using the two-bucket method, a claying with a fine clay to remove any above surface bonded contaminants, and then a paint cleaner (Pinnacle, P21S etc.) step to remove embedded contaminants. At that point your paint will be ready for a protection layer...either a wax or sealant.

Any car wash soap (ph balanced) from a reputable vendor will work fine...you can't go wrong with most of the products offered at Autogeek. I wouldn't recommend you polish the car unless it is new-used and the paint shows signs of neglect (marring, swirling, scratches, etc.).

For the interior...again, it depends on what look you want - shiny? matte? 303 products work well...as do Optimum and 1Z, etc...there are a whole host of products you can choose from.

The key for any car is maintenance...if it is maintained then it will look good for many years without needing any major correction.

If it the paint does need correction then 105/205 is a good place to start. Menzerna products also work very well. You will most likely need a machine as using these products by hand will not yield great results.

Valuablez
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
My car is Brand new as in just off the lot. Paint looks real good. I'll try the wash, clay, and sealant (wax). Anything else you would recomend?
Thanks

Dubbin1
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
If it is brand new then you most likely won't need to polish it at all...

Not unless the dealer hacks got a hold of it first...

The car very well may need clay, polish and most definitely waxed or sealed. I doubt you will have to go as far as M105, M205 would be a good place to start if it does need polished.

Dubbin1
04-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Anything else you would recomend?
Thanks

Yes watch these videos Proper Washing and Drying Techniques (http://www.autogeek.net/video-wash.html)

Valuablez
04-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I just found some hard water spots on the windshield. I don't wanna take it to the dealer cause I know what they do. What's the best way to take off hard water spots off of a windshield. Here's the tools I have, Makita 9227. Is there a safe way to do this without spending a ton of money, a safe way this can be done?
Thanks

ScottB
04-29-2010, 06:32 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/flowchart.jpg

Wash --- Poorboys, Optimum, Griots, or Duragloss
Drying -- Guzzler Towels
Claying --- Best Offer in Section
Paint Cleanser -- Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion
Sealant -- Menzerna, DP, Wolfgang or UPP
Wax --- Pinnacle, Dodo, P21S
Tires --- Poorboys Bright/Bold, Optimum Optibond
APC --- Optimum Powerclean
Dash --- 303 Protectant, Einszett Cockpit Premium

That will get you started, then a buffer, pads, and polishes are next step.