PDA

View Full Version : Megs 205 too harsh? 3 Step reccomendations?

Pages : [1] 2

estcstm3
04-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Hello All,

I will preface this as I am fairly new to detailing with DA.

I have read in numerous places that the 105/205 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My question is, isnt the 105 compound fairly strong? Is it overkill and are you taking off too much clear? From some of the polish aggresiveness charts its a straight compound? Does it make more sense to try say a PoorBoys SSR first? I am just wondering how most people only have the 2 products? Does the 205 have any "real" swirl correction? On my s2000 sites everybody use Menzerna, jeffs werkstat, poorboys, but not too much mention of meguirs maybe because they think its too common (just a guess). Just trying to put together a good starting set of DA compound/polish/LSP. I am trying to stick to a 3 step system max. swirl removal/polish for depth wetness/LSP for durabilit (one car stays outside 24/7).

Thanks!!!

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
The great thing about the Megs twins is that you can dictate the cut by your pad choice. When you swing by I can show you the differences in the polishes. Megs twins or Menzerna are your best choices as far as polishes go at this point and time.

PAR Detailing
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
105/205 definitely has some correction power and that is an understatement. And yes 205 has real swirl correction ability, obviously not as much as something stronger but yes you will get some correction from it. What you need really depends on how bad the paint is, how hard your clear is, your pad selection, and last but definitely not least your technique with the DA. Take pictures of the cars in the sun or with lights showing the swirls and whatnot so everyone can see, maybe that can help narrow down what you will want/need.
Oh ya in the words of Mr Phillips... What are you working on?

Jon

ScottB
04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
you can always interchange your finishing polish from 205 to Nano/ or 085rd as desired. 105 finishes well, and Menzerna just seems to make it better.

estcstm3
04-29-2010, 05:32 AM
The great thing about the Megs twins is that you can dictate the cut by your pad choice. When you swing by I can show you the differences in the polishes. Megs twins or Menzerna are your best choices as far as polishes go at this point and time.

Thanks again for the offer that will be a big help. I may just hold off on asking all of these piece meal questions untill I meet up with ya. Ill PM with some times for maybe this weekend or next. No big deal eithier way.

rwright
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks again for the offer that will be a big help. I may just hold off on asking all of these piece meal questions untill I meet up with ya. Ill PM with some times for maybe this weekend or next. No big deal eithier way.

Do this! Take him up on the offer!

estcstm3
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Do this! Take him up on the offer!

I fully agree, that is whats so great about a collaborative forum with people are willing to share their skill time and knowledge.

Thanks again!

:hotrod2:

Mike Moore
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm fairly new to the detailing world also but I have learned when detailing the least aggressive method is the best.

Tape off a couple of 2'x2' areas

Use M205 (Light cut/semi finish polish) and a Lake Country white pad (minimal pad bite).
Do this section check results.

If results not met,
Try M205 again and a Lake Country orange pad (more pad bite).
Check again.

If results not met,
Try M105 with a LC white pad.
Repeat process.

if results not met,
Try M105 with a LC orange pad.

The above methods each get more aggressive via pad/product combo.
If you are looking for minimal products the KB method (http://www.qwksilver.com/forum/showthread.php?112-Kevin-Brown-Method)with M105/M205 makes a great 1-2 punch.
I believe M/150/M205 is now available in 16 oz bottles so you can give them a try.

FYI - I also use PB's SSR line and like the workability and results.

- As has been stated before, try a few different products, find what you like and use it often.

Finemess
04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I used 205 today for the first time. I love this stuff. Went over truck with wool pad on rotary and wow! Topped it with the Max Wax I picked up a while back. Super smooth and looks so nice.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I used 205 today for the first time. I love this stuff. Went over truck with wool pad on rotary and wow! Topped it with the Max Wax I picked up a while back. Super smooth and looks so nice.

You didn't go over it after using the wool pad?

Finemess
04-30-2010, 05:33 PM
No I just used the wool pad.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-30-2010, 05:40 PM
No I just used the wool pad.

Yikes, you need to follow up your wool pad with a step or two to remove the wool marks or buffer marks.

Finemess
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Ahh I need to get a backing plate for it. I have some foam pads but the wool seemed to do a good job.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Ahh I need to get a backing plate for it. I have some foam pads but the wool seemed to do a good job.

Yes, wool does an awesome job of cutting the paint. Follow up with 2 more steps of with lesser cut foam pads and you will really see a difference.

Finemess
04-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip.