PDA

View Full Version : Cyan pads or Tangerine

Pages : [1] 2

AV8R
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I've bought some Tangerine pads with my GG and used them last night with Ultimate Compound (I have 105/205 on order) and it seemed to work pretty well, but I have to wonder....will the Cyan pads work/cut/whatever a lot better with the 105 than the Tangerine or can I get by with those pads? My truck has by far the worst paint of any of our vehicles and it came out really well with what I used so far.

Thanks in advance....

WRAPT C5Z06
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I've bought some Tangerine pads with my GG and used them last night with Ultimate Compound (I have 105/205 on order) and it seemed to work pretty well, but I have to wonder....will the Cyan pads work/cut/whatever a lot better with the 105 than the Tangerine or can I get by with those pads? My truck has by far the worst paint of any of our vehicles and it came out really well with what I used so far.

Thanks in advance....
If it came out really well, then I'd stick with the tangerine pads. The Cyan pad will definitely cut better than the tangerine pad, generally speaking. There isn't a huge difference in cut between 105 and UC.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
will the Cyan pads work/cut/whatever a lot better with the 105 than the Tangerine or can I get by with those pads? ...

To answer the 1st part your question, yes, the Cyan pads cut mor.

To answer the 2nd part of your question I will ask a question of my own: Are you happy with the finish you attained with the UC and Tangerine pad... If so then you are all set

AV8R
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
To answer the 1st part your question, yes, the Cyan pads cut mor.

To answer the 2nd part of your question I will ask a question of my own: Are you happy with the finish you attained with the UC and Tangerine pad... If so then you are all set

Yes, happy as it's white and even under twin halogens it looks much better than before, but...Will using a harder cutting pad/compound make a large difference or is it just diminishing returns? I suspect that I'm at the 90% point now and I'm thinking the extra 10% would be worth it on a dark paint, but undetectable on white. My other cars are silver metallic and my BMW motorcycle is this yellow metallic color.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, happy as it's white and even under twin halogens it looks much better than before, but...Will using a harder cutting pad/compound make a large difference or is it just diminishing returns? I suspect that I'm at the 90% point now and I'm thinking the extra 10% would be worth it on a dark paint, but undetectable on white. My other cars are silver metallic and my BMW motorcycle is this yellow metallic color.

Well, you have to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve....

If this is your daily driver it may not be practical for you to get 100% correction.... plus the net gain may not be worth it to you.

It really depends on what your goals are.

Sorry I am not giving definitive answers but it really is subjective...

If you are asking if I personally see the benefit... Yes I do....

As I am always saying even on a light colored car that you may not be able to "see" the swirls IF they are there, all of the light is not reflecting back to your vision but rather, refracting in many different directions thus, degrading the overall appearance of the vehicle.... Now to what degree?? That is where it becomes subjective.

AV8R
04-28-2010, 01:13 PM
If this is your daily driver it may not be practical for you to get 100% correction.... plus the net gain may not be worth it to you.

Ya..this is my tow truck...it sits in the driveway until I tow our fifth wheel with it. I go to the dump with it...I haul hay bales for the neighbors...It brings home mulch and rocks and top soil...you get the idea. The cost to replace it is somewhere north of $45K so I'm trying to keep it looking decent. I think 90% is going to be all of it for me.

I figure if I can keep this one going, that used Guards Red 911 I've had my eye on might be an easier sell to the wifey!

Ya..maybe not...Im the MAN

A4 1.8tqm
04-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Well said Deep Gloss.

I will say that the Cyan HT pads quickly became my favorite cutting pads (Tangerine's are great too). But if your happy with the results of those pads... buy something else instead of more pads :D

AV8R
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
So if I'm using the Tangerine with the heavier compound, what color pads should I use with the 205 or the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Fine Cut 2? I used a Tangerine with both last night. I also leaned on the machine pretty hard when using the heavier stuff...less with the second step and much less when applying the wax.

thanks

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Ya..this is my tow truck...it sits in the driveway until I tow our fifth wheel with it. I go to the dump with it...I haul hay bales for the neighbors...It brings home mulch and rocks and top soil...you get the idea. The cost to replace it is somewhere north of $45K so I'm trying to keep it looking decent. I think 90% is going to be all of it for me.

I figure if I can keep this one going, that used Guards Red 911 I've had my eye on might be an easier sell to the wifey!

Ya..maybe not...Im the MAN

Well that says it all...

This is a truck that gets hard use and you have brought it to a level that you are happy with... Sounds like it's time to put the buffer away and enjoy a cold drink while you sit back and admire your work!:xyxthumbs:

AV8R
04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Well that says it all...

This is a truck that gets hard use and you have brought it to a level that you are happy with... Sounds like it's time to put the buffer away and enjoy a cold drink while you sit back and admire your work!:xyxthumbs:

Except for the fact that I've only done the tailgate! Lots more work to do.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
So if I'm using the Tangerine with the heavier compound, what color pads should I use with the 205 or the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Fine Cut 2? I used a Tangerine with both last night. I also leaned on the machine pretty hard when using the heavier stuff...less with the second step and much less when applying the wax.

thanks

If I am on the same page as you, your plan is to use 105 with Tangerine and then 205 and you are looking for a pad recomendation for the 205.....

If I am on the same page as you I would suggest the black pad for use with 205...

Have you made marks on the top side of your backing plate to visually ensure it is till rotating? This is a good technique to ensure you have not bogged down the machine with the weight you are applying...

AV8R
04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
If I am on the same page as you, your plan is to use 105 with Tangerine and then 205 and you are looking for a pad recomendation for the 205.....

If I am on the same page as you I would suggest the black pad for use with 205...

Have you made marks on the top side of your backing plate to visually ensure it is till rotating? This is a good technique to ensure you have not bogged down the machine with the weight you are applying...

That's what I'm looking for...a recommendation on which pad to use with the lighter compound or polish/swirl remover. I have a few wax pads, but only orange pads otherwise.

Yes, made Sharpie marks at 3 spots...I was unable to stop it from spinning without leaning hard enough to flex the tailgate's skin. Pretty robust motor on this thing!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
That's what I'm looking for...a recommendation on which pad to use with the lighter compound or polish/swirl remover. I have a few wax pads, but only orange pads otherwise.

Yes, made Sharpie marks at 3 spots...I was unable to stop it from spinning without leaning hard enough to flex the tailgate's skin. Pretty robust motor on this thing!

Yep, we're on the same page.....

Black pad should work out nicely for you with M205

WRAPT C5Z06
04-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Speaking of hydro-tech pads, I just ordered 6 tangerine pads. For heavier defect removal, I'll use my surbuf pads. The tangerine pad replaces orange and white pads for me. It can accomplish neartly the cut of an orange and finish nearly like a white pad. It's a great 1-step pad, too. Very versatile! For finshing, I'll use my black pads. :xyxthumbs:

AV8R
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
OK...I'm confused...I'm looking for black pads and all I can find are grey 6.5" LC pads or black 4" Meguiars pads on AG. Anyone got a link to these black pads?

thanks