PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys clean you MF?

Damnhor2
04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
How do you guys clean your microfiber towels?
And I mean without all those Microfiber shmapoos

dunston
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
If I skip the MF cleaning solution. I soak them in hot water before I wash them to help break up and dried waxes on them. Then wash them on a regular cycle with a little detergent soap, only liquid. If you have the option to rinse twice, do it. Then dry on a low temp without the use of any type of static cling fabric.

snowking724
04-28-2010, 06:18 PM
any on of these three depending on day of the week
1)soaked in snappy clean and rinsed THOROUGHLY.weekend when using da.
2)soaked in dish soap and HOT water and rinsed THOROUGHLY. in between
3)washer w/ laundry detergent(no additives) on gentile cycle and dried on low w/ no fabric softener. laundry day

cnfowler
04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
A 30 year veteran of the textile industry posts on Meguiar's forum. He has this recommendation and I've been following it with fantastic results:

Wash in hot water using liquid detergent (1/2 amount called for)
During rinse cycle, add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
Dry on low heat (no dryer sheets)

This has worked great for me. In fact, I had a couple of Meguiar's Water Magnets used for drying. The Water Magnets weren't absorbing the water anymore, just smearing it around the car. I found the above recommendation and used it. The only difference from my normal routine was 1/2 the detergent and the vinegar during the rinse cycle. The Water Magnets came out super soft and absorbed the water like they were new. I've stuck to that routine ever since.

I find there is no need for the special cleaners and detergents.

Colin

ScottB
04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I still find the MF soaps work well .... and you can add a cup of vinegar in rinse as needed. Just remember no fabric softner.

richy
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
A 30 year veteran of the textile industry posts on Meguiar's forum. He has this recommendation and I've been following it with fantastic results:

This has worked great for me. In fact, I had a couple of Meguiar's Water Magnets used for drying. The Water Magnets weren't absorbing the water anymore, just smearing it around the car. I found the above recommendation and used it. The only difference from my normal routine was 1/2 the detergent and the vinegar during the rinse cycle. The Water Magnets came out super soft and absorbed the water like they were new. I've stuck to that routine ever since.

Colin
Colin,
I've read LOTS of posts about cleaning mf's but have yet to read about 1/2 the detergent. I have a front load washer which uses less than the top loads. I will definitely try that method for my next load. Thanks.

Wax Gorilla
04-29-2010, 01:17 AM
2 ounces of White Vinegar per load in addition the half the amount of a HE detergent.

richy
04-29-2010, 08:59 AM
2 ounces of White Vinegar per load in addition the half the amount of a HE detergent.
Yes, thanks, I already add the vinegar. I'm curious to see what effect cutting the detergent has.

Lasthope05
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I use woolite and 2 oz of zep citrus to clean all my microfibers. I remember reading a post that that really opened my eyes about microfiber specific cleaners. I cant recall who it was but the just of it is, all microfiber cleaners are in fact just a degreaser. They dont manufacture a specific product just for use on microfiber towels. They find a product that works well to clean microfibers and market it as such. Also products like snappy clean are nothing more than your average citrus degreaser powder.

tortugazoom
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Interesting observation that I had was that Pinnacle Micro Rejuvanator smells exactly like the cleaner that comes with the kit to clean and re-oil your K&N air filters.

sullysdetailing
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I like to pre soak them in DP Pad cleaner and a 5 gallon bucket with warm water then I rinse the towels and wahs them with MF cleaner.

DARK HORSE
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Colin

:iagree: Me too, (excpet for the white vinegar. I only use 1/2cup (very rarely) only as needed)...
When drying, I dry slightly on low heat for a few minutes and remove them while they are still damp and hang them up on clean plastic hangers to finish dryinig over night. Seems to help eliminate any static...

Damnhor2
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Sorry for asking, but what is the vinegar for?
And is this the same as regular cooking vinegar?

SouthernStyles
04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I just use half amount of Woolite.

Kurt_s
05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Sorry for asking, but what is the vinegar for?
And is this the same as regular cooking vinegar?
Yes. It's also good with plain water to clean tile and Pergo floors without leaving a sticky surface.