PDA

View Full Version : Large Scale Glass polishing

Da Fats
04-27-2010, 10:58 PM
My work on a couple fire dept volunteers trucks for water spots has led to a possible contract with my local FD to do all the trucks glass work.

So now I am digging for a few answers to simple questions before I throw the hat in the ring on this job...

Are foam pads the only option for glass polishing? Will Wool or Foamed wool mar the glass?

What glass polishes have you all used and recommend for such large scale work? The Glass is HEAVILY affected with spots that I am sure may have etched some

rohnramirez
04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
I have tried a wool pad on a makita, it works well. If it's safe to use on your paint, i'm sure it's safe on glass. Glass is far harder than paint.

I've used 105 and 205 with no problems. But AGO carries diamondite, products specifically for glass - Diamondite® Glass Repair System Kit polishes out scratches in auto glass windshields and windows. Diamondite Glass polish restore car glass. (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-repair-kit.html) haven't tried though.

Superdutytd
04-28-2010, 01:25 AM
105 on an orange pad has always worked good for me. I don't think you need a glass compound unless you are buffing out scratches from glass.

jmpet626
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
I used megs swirl X, 5.5 CCS pad and 7424xp on my 04 Rav4.

Da Fats
04-28-2010, 05:33 AM
I have used the makita and the XP on glass and gotten results. I was going to try a 7 or 8 inch wool or foamed wool pad to try to speed up some as I will be working on Hood sized walls of glass!

I was hoping to hear from someone that tried out the diamonite product that could compare them to 105/205 or your Typical Diminishing abrasive formulas. I am going to need to buy by the gallon if i take this job and Product cost vs Time cost needs to be balanced

thanks for any further input

chris