PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between brands?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ballfan4141
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
so meguires tech wax over the poorboys line of wax? I would say get the poorboys they are about the same price. get one of the poorboys natty waxes

Matt
05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
so meguires tech wax over the poorboys line of wax? I would say get the poorboys they are about the same price. get one of the poorboys natty waxes

Personally I'm not a fan of the Nxt Tech Wax 2.0 (or the first version either for that matter). I found the durability to be mediocre and the slickness/ gloss isn't too great either.

For a cheap, very durable and very glossy product (on an already nicely polished and clayed paint surface), Collinite Insulator Wax #845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html) is great. Not only do the durability and shine far outdo the Nxt wax, it's also $5 cheaper and easier to apply (given that you shake the bottle extremely well before the very first use (say 5-10 minutes of shaking before opening new sealed bottle)). For application I'd recommend one of these (http://www.autogeek.net/red-euro-applicator.html).

If you want more of a beauty wax then something like Pinnacle Souveran (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html) or P21s 100% (http://www.autogeek.net/p21s-100--carnauba-wax.html) are nice, but seeing that you want a wet shine at a decent price, the Insulator wax is definitely the way to go.

Just my .02

maximus20895
05-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Paste get dp maxwax
Liquid get menzerna poewerlock

That simple.

Lasthope05
05-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Paste get dp maxwax
Liquid get menzerna poewerlock

That simple.

MaxWax isnt all that great in its price range. Instead go with Autoglym HD wax. Just as easy to use but looks, beads, lasts much longer and best of all, it is now OTC at Pepboys.

For me, nattys and souveran look good but has never lasted anything more than 3-4 weeks. Durability fads quick and looks fade even faster.
Hence they are know as beauty waxes.

You will soon learn that sealants and waxs dont really affect the final outcome and look of the paint much. It all comes down to the prep work(polishing.) Make sure your polishing is spot on and just top with what wax/sealant you like best.

2003 GMC Denali
05-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Autoglym up here in Canada is getting promoted like crazy, right now... so does that make it a better product or simply one thats more known.

Lasthope05
05-25-2010, 03:06 AM
I have both and honestly feel AG HD is worlds above maxwax.

A4 1.8tqm
05-25-2010, 04:00 AM
DP is American made

Pinnacle is all natural

Wolfgang is imported polymer technology :xyxthumbs:

I as well am a huge fan of Auto Glym HD wax, but I still love my Max Wax too... :D

jpegs13
05-25-2010, 05:05 AM
To quote Mike Philips again " Find something you like and use it often"
My personal prefrences may be different than CeeDog or A41.8tqm, that doesn't mean that the products they use are better than the ones I use and visa versa. It's all about using the products correctly.
"A bad hammer doesn't make a bad carpenter"

Wax Gorilla
05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
I am not loyal to anyone brand. I believe all individual products need to stand on their own merit. That being siad the track record for Meguiars has been excellent in regards to emerging technology on polish, wax, abrasives and now pads and paper. I am by no means married to Megs products at all but when I look at my arsenel they have the majority posistion in the 70 to 75 different products I use in a given week.

Mike Phillips
05-25-2010, 06:40 AM
FYI, this is from Meguiar's FAQ's (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions):

1. Why does Meguiar's have so many products?

LOL

I wrote that. From 2002 to 2003 my job title was "Corporate Writer". Their FAQ was about 22 pages long in MS Word, I re-wrote it and when I was finished it was over 60 pages in MS Word and I set my margins at .5 on all 4 sides.

:)

ramar
05-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Keep using Tech Wax.

Its a great product, you can get great results with a wax or sealant without having to spend over $50.

Meg nxt 2.0 is a sealant wax, I was going to go 3 coats with that then keep
a cover type wax on that. A wax that I can come back and re apply maybe every month or so.

ramar
05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Watch out for Tree Sap and Birds :buffing:
Ouch found out the hard way with that one. Decided that my camaro looked so good
that I would wash and wax my 2007 Red Avalanche. Poor thing gets a wax once a year always just parked in the sun and done WRONG!!!

So washed it the other evening in shade, then spent a long time removing tar. So next morning the only shade was under the big oak tree in front. Lugged two hoses to reach the truck and re-washed the Avalanche. Then dried him off and went to waxing.. Tree sap everywhere. Yuck! So now have to detail and start all over. That sucker is way bigger then doing my Camaro.

A4 1.8tqm
05-25-2010, 02:23 PM
LOL

I wrote that. From 2002 to 2003 my job title was "Corporate Writer". Their FAQ was about 22 pages long in MS Word, I re-wrote it and when I was finished it was over 60 pages in MS Word and I set my margins at .5 on all 4 sides.

:)

LOL, Mike, your crazy man (In a good way)! :urtheman:

I was looking to quote you on the descriptions of each brand, as I posted above, but couldn't find the thread. Maybe I was mistaken...?

ramar
05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I am not loyal to anyone brand. I believe all individual products need to stand on their own merit. That being siad the track record for Meguiars has been excellent in regards to emerging technology on polish, wax, abrasives and now pads and paper. I am by no means married to Megs products at all but when I look at my arsenel they have the majority posistion in the 70 to 75 different products I use in a given week.

I have a Synergy Green 2010 Camaro (light color) that I have waxed 3 x's with Meg's NXT 2.0
Today driving to my son's house I passed a RED SSR, I think it was the one I traded for my Camaro. It looked awesome, wet looking and SHINEY. My Camaro looks
shiney but not awesome.
So since you use Meg's products, what would you suggest I use next to get that wet-shiney look? I do everything by hand so ease of wax removal is important. I just don't have that awesome SHOW CAR look yet.

5.4 Shelby
05-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a Synergy Green 2010 Camaro (light color) that I have waxed 3 x's with Meg's NXT 2.0
Today driving to my son's house I passed a RED SSR, I think it was the one I traded for my Camaro. It looked awesome, wet looking and SHINEY. My Camaro looks
shiney but not awesome.
So since you use Meg's products, what would you suggest I use next to get that wet-shiney look? I do everything by hand so ease of wax removal is important. I just don't have that awesome SHOW CAR look yet.
Pinnacle Signature Series II.