PDA

View Full Version : Sealant Rates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SRHTX
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey Everyone,

I would like to know what YOU would charge people to do sealant work on the paint jobs? I know sealant last more/less 6 months.

Thanks
Stephen

JonMiles
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I normally apply sealant at no extra cost with my detailing packages, if you use a sealant a little goes a very long way and sealants are not too expensive. I offer carnaubas for an added cost depending on the wax choice.

Jeremy
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
No extra,they are easier to work with anyway.

SRHTX
04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Well, that 2010 Lexus LS 460 I did last week was just a major PITA since it was white. I do not detail vehicles in a garage, right now, so, it's very hard to see where you have used the sealant on. The other 2010 Lexus I did was much easier since I could see everything on the paint.

Jeremy
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I'll agree with that,I did a white trailblazer ss and had the same problem

SRHTX
04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I just need to come up with a pricing list for the sealant. Down here, well over 95% of the vehicles have never been properly detailed. Especially when purchased brand new and I know everyone here knows that well. LOL

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-27-2010, 06:53 AM
same price for sealant vs wax....

Only upcharge is for premium wax....

Da Fats
04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I up charge 15$ for premium wax.. I throw collinites in this group as it can be slightly more time consuming and offers so much durability... most people opt for it.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
same price for sealant vs wax....

Only upcharge is for premium wax....

I up charge 15$ for premium wax.. I throw collinites in this group as it can be slightly more time consuming and offers so much durability... most people opt for it.

I should clarify my definition of "premium wax"... To me that is anything > $100 a tub

Sure, sealants last longer and so do some "waxes" such as collinite's offering. The reason I do not charge more for them is that they require (generally speaking) the same amount of work/effort to apply remove.

I do not find it consistent with my business ethics to charge more for something that costs me the same in raw product and genarally takes the same effort to apply/remove... Seems dishonest to me (again, this is according to MY business ethics).

I charge more for premium waxes well because they cost me more...

I should add that I also charge a premium for Zaino treatment due to the time / steps involved for proper application

Da Fats
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
915 has been finicky for me when compared to the other paste waxes in my line up or any liquid wax or sealant I have ever used for that matter... Maybe its the humidity and temperature during the times I used it or in the garage... I don't know I just know it takes me more time to lay down a couple coats and remove then the other waxes I use so this is were the added cost is. I am upfront with the clients when I talk about the option... and why I charge a little more for it.

I don't try to sell 915 as a 100$ wax... I included it in that bracket because for me it does take a more time... The clients are completely informed before they make a decision... so in response I do not feel like I am being unethical when I charge a little more for it.

SRHTX
04-27-2010, 07:12 PM
915 has been finicky for me when compared to the other paste waxes in my line up or any liquid wax or sealant I have ever used for that matter... Maybe its the humidity and temperature during the times I used it or in the garage... I don't know I just know it takes me more time to lay down a couple coats and remove then the other waxes I use so this is were the added cost is. I am upfront with the clients when I talk about the option... and why I charge a little more for it.

Question: Have you tried to leave each wax on the vehicle until you remove it with a spray Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer? That is what I do in many cases. Doing that will save you a great deal of time.

My $.02

Also, I agree with what you mentioned before by charging $15.00 if they wish to have you protect their paint with sealant. If it's a white colored vehicle, HECK YEAH!!!! That white Lexus was a PITA since it was/is white. I will charge $15 for sure.

Again, my $.02

Stephen

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I should clarify my definition of "premium wax"... To me that is anything > $100 a tub

I don't try to sell 915 as a 100$ wax... I included it in that bracket because for me it does take a more time... The clients are completely informed before they make a decision... so in response I do not feel like I am being unethical when I charge a little more for it.

Only the very 1st part of my post was directed towards you (I quoted it above)... sorry for the confusion...

If applying a certain product takes you longer than most others of course your time is money and of course, charge accordingly... With that said, I would also try to identify the variable that is causing such a big variance in application times.

The rest was for SRHTX...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Also, I agree with what you mentioned before by charging $15.00 if they wish to have you protect their paint with sealant. If it's a white colored vehicle, HECK YEAH!!!! That white Lexus was a PITA since it was/is white. I will charge $15 for sure.

Again, my $.02

Stephen

Just making sure I am understanding what you are saying (on the net sometimes that is needed for me).

You charge more for adding a sealant only because it adds more protection and not because it takes a substantial increase in work.

You charge more for white vehicles such as a white Lexus you did due to the fact that it is white?

Just making sure I understand you correctly...

Thx...

SRHTX
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Just making sure I am understanding what you are saying (on the net sometimes that is needed for me).

You charge more for adding a sealant only because it adds more protection and not because it takes a substantial increase in work.

You charge more for white vehicles such as a white Lexus you did due to the fact that it is white?

Just making sure I understand you correctly...

Thx...

It does not matter if the vehicle is a Lexus or Yugo. At this time, I do not have a garage to detail vehicles in. My detailing work is under a canopy. Down here in the Rio Grande Valley, most of the days are very bright and sunny where u will have a very hard time seeing white paint when it has been detailed. It kinda blinds you in a way and I have 20/20 vision. lol

If you wish, please give me a call Jason, if you wish.

Thanks.
Stephen

Da Fats
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
As for the collinite issue I will have to try using Optimums QD as i have it in my line up when i remove the wax... also I found out that the wax being " chunky" as my been is not normal and is fixed by reheating the wax... I think that it has been applying unevenly and heavy due to the chunks that infest the applicator