PDA

View Full Version : How long does it usually take you guys?

32ValveRom
04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Let me start off by saying I'm still new to detailing but am still trying to get good. The last time I did a full detail with my pc including a polish and wax and everything it took over 6 hours. I did take some time off this past Friday to do a quick wash and while everything was lookin' nice, I ended up sleeping over at my cousins this past Saturday just to wake up the next morning with water spots on my car from the water sprinkler. So now I'm making plans to start again this Tuesday with the polish and everything

Birdhunter
04-25-2010, 04:20 PM
A good wash and one step polish takes me 6-8 hours. The longest I have taken was 17 hours, but that was at three step and the trucks paint was in bas condition.

Donald Greco
04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
The first time I did the Monte it took about 2 days. I washed, clayed, removed swirls with the Pinnacle Twins, then XMT 360 to seal, then Souveran on top, and then it was on to the tires, wheels, and wells and then on to the engine compartment. After that it is about a 5 hour job to get everything back in order. Lots of fun so I am not complaining.

christian900se
04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
It really depends on what services you will perform, how streamlined your process is, and what products you use. For my car, I can't seem to do a wash any quicker than an hour and a half. For most interior/exterior details (wash, wax, interior), it takes me roughly 4-5 hours depending on the size of the vehicle. A single step polish takes me around 10 hours, while a multi-step polish takes a couple days minimum.

I have become much more efficient compared to when I first started detailing, that makes the most difference. I used to take 8-10 hours for an interior/exterior detail but overtime I have found better products and a defined technique/process which has cut the time to 4-5 hours. Some things like polishing however, just take time to perform properly.

Pepperjam
04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I detail nasty, nasty used cars, if I'm left to my business, I can get one done in two and a half hours. That is: exterior trim, windows, trunk, vacuum, shampoo carpets, vents, seats shampoo, headliner, wheels, wheel wells, tires dressed, and a wax.

maximus20895
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
^i was about to say. 2.5 hours with a polish would be crazy. You still complete everything very quickly though :)

32ValveRom
04-26-2010, 12:56 AM
2.5 hours?:eek: I would begin claying around that time.

Btw guys, another quick question? I have an area on my car that when you open the trunk you can see the blackness of the accumulation of dirt built up over the years. Basically, a crack where rain water seeps down through but is usually neglected during a basic wash. Is there any chemical or anything y'all think can get this out? I tried using s small scrubby pad I found in the garage on a small part of the dirty area but ended up messing up some of the paint. Any suggestions?

Dubbin1
04-26-2010, 09:00 AM
2.5 hours?:eek: I would begin claying around that time.

Btw guys, another quick question? I have an area on my car that when you open the trunk you can see the blackness of the accumulation of dirt built up over the years. Basically, a crack where rain water seeps down through but is usually neglected during a basic wash. Is there any chemical or anything y'all think can get this out? I tried using s small scrubby pad I found in the garage on a small part of the dirty area but ended up messing up some of the paint. Any suggestions?

Can you get a picture of the area in question?

sullysdetailing
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXY6IEmw6OQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Sully's Detailing: 2007 DB9[/video]

This took me 8 hours to do a 1-step polish. If you are looking to get the most out of your DD I would use D151 with tang hydro pad and your PC. It will be the fastest and best looking results IMO.

You want to make sure and take your time. You odnt want to rush through a detail. It might take you all day but it will be well worth it.

A 1-step polish take me between 5-10 hours depending on the condition of the paint and what the own wants to achieve. If you looking to fully detail you car you will be looking at 12+ hours.

Irish
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
For a 1 step I ask my clients to allow for 5-8 hours, depending on the size and condition of the vehicle in question. Exterior only of course. I have had certain cars take longer, a C5 Z06 that was covered in overspray took me almost 3 hours to clay. Went through an entire 200g Clay Magic Red getting the crap off that car's paint.

Good advice from Sully, don't rush it. Rush and you'll end up making a mistake that's going to take you longer to correct than it would have simply doing it properly in the first place.

POPPAJ
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
A wash, clay, two step polish, sealant then wax takes me two full days and half of a third. I'm retired and take lots of breaks. What's the hurry?:laughing:

matryx
10-13-2012, 10:48 PM
do you guys store the vehicle if you need more than one day or do you guys just do a rinseless wash and continue where you left off?

ihaveacamaro
10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
do you guys store the vehicle if you need more than one day or do you guys just do a rinseless wash and continue where you left off?

2 1/2 year old thread dude :cool: I don't think people check back on threads they posted in almost 3 years ago lmao