PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Tire Dressing

chetsteadman
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey folks, first post here. I recently bought a new Mustang GT and have run into a problem I've never encountered before. The dealership washed the car before I took delivery and the tire shine they applied is absolutely the worst stuff I've ever seen. I can't get it off the tires! In fact, I basically ruined a brush on it because the junk gummed the bristles up and won't come off of it, either. I've tried Wesley's Bleche-White, Griot's Rubber Prep, and Griot's Rubber Cleaner. I tried spraying the Wesley's and Rubber Cleaner on (not together, but in separate washings), then agitating thoroughly, with little luck. The Rubber Prep was applied per the directions with a sponge, which was black before getting through one tire. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

snowking724
04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
gas!:D.i use meg's apc* dilluted but with your prob you could try it straight.

richy
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Use either ARO at full strength or Zep purple at full strength. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas for ya.

christian900se
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
^Try some degreaser from any local autoparts store like Zep purple or citrus degreaser, those are two serious cleaners and should take care of even the more stubborn crap on the tires.

The problem with dealer applied dressings is not that they are any more resistant to cleaners, but more in the fact that there is so much slathered on that you have to cut through a lot more product.

chetsteadman
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
How about Simple Green? I'm concerned that I might use something too strong and might eat through the finish on the wheels.

Birdhunter
04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I just did a truck, and the dealer he got it from must have used the same stuff. Amazing Role Off seems to work. I washed some vinyl floor mats with the same brush and ARO and the brush did come clean.

Donald Greco
04-25-2010, 06:08 AM
My Chevy garage must shop at the same place as your dealer because they did my brand new tires and wheels and wheelwells with the same garbage. The stuff was on my paint and it sure was tuff to get off. I told them never to wash my car again when it's in for service.

2003 GMC Denali
04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Can you ask the Dealer Prep. Dept. what the junk is, that they put on?

Donald Greco
04-25-2010, 08:04 AM
I will ask next time I go in but the stuff was green and I swore that they sprayed anti-freeze on my stuff. Of course they denied that and said it was tire shine. I do not know why wheels need tire shine.

jpegs13
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Had the same type of tire gook on my wife's car. I used wolfgang tire and wheel cleaner and a 3" GG scrubbing pad on the 3" ROP and it worked great!

ScottB
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Amazing Roll-Off to the rescue ...

Wax Gorilla
04-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Meg's APC - Straight Up and let it linger for 15 minutes, Repeat and rinse !