PDA

View Full Version : Door Jam

Pages : [1] 2 3

kimandbrad21
04-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Alright That one thing that has been bothering me for awhile, I feel I should go ahead and throw it out there. There maybe posts about this but I could not find them. I noticed while cleaning our 91 corolla that the door jams are just nasty, and while detailing some cars before its a very hard task for me at least, to clean the door jams.

my questions:
1. What tools do you use to clean in the door jams? by the hinge, wiring covers etc.
2. what products, i know you can coat it with 303 after your done cleaning but what to clean the grim off
3. would useing a cleaner mean i need to apply a wax to the painted areas to make sure they are protected? or is it just fine washed.

Dubbin1
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Different size brushes, cheap microfiber towels and a good APC is a must for cleaning door jams. Waxing it will help in cleaning it the next time.

kimandbrad21
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Would tooth brushs be good for this area? not too rough or anything. and brushs like they sale at autozone etc?

Dubbin1
04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Tooth brushes will be fine for cleaning around the hinges. Just make sue you don't put it back in the bathroom ;)

Rsurfer
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Different size brushes, cheap microfiber towels and a good APC is a must for cleaning door jams. Waxing it will help in cleaning it the next time.
:iagree:Use Aqua Wax on the jams...for those hard to get areas you don't need to wipe off the AW it will dry clear.:buffing:

Old Tiger
04-24-2010, 04:45 PM
:iagree:Use Aqua Wax on the jams...for those hard to get areas you don't need to wipe off the AW it will dry clear.:buffing:
Didnt know that! Now I got an excuse to get some DG AW! You DA Man!

CEE DOG
04-24-2010, 06:06 PM
For the easy to reach areas of the door jambs I started using Klasse HGS. Thanks Tad! So far it's looking great and no more micro scratches!

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that either.

Nissaner
04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Good topic. I've often wondered about what brushes would be good to get in the hinge area. Something not too expensive as this area can get bad on some vehicles!

D0ughB0y
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I use some of my older microfibers, a 2 gallon rinse bucket, and two spray bottles. One with some car wash and warm water. The other with clean water.

Spray down the door jams and let it soak, get in there and clean things up (rinsing and wringing it out damp when needed), then spraying down with clean water and wiping with a "clean" (old but washed) microfiber.

Then a once over with some of the spray on/wipe off wax. Once you get 'em clean, they'll stay pretty clean and just need a good wipe down with a damp micro and a few sprays with a finishing product to keep 'em looking nice.

Donald Greco
04-25-2010, 06:01 AM
I've always thought toothbrushes were too rough for any use on painted areas so I use good quality paint brushes in different sizes to get in those hard to reach areas.

Jenn1270
04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I use COBRA DETAILING BRUSH KIT- Three detailing brushes for those who demand the greatest attention to details! Crevice brushes, interior brush (http://www.autogeek.net/pindetbruski.html) and you can get in most nooks and crannies with them and there is a bristle for any need.

Jenn

Nissaner
04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Dubbin1
04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I've always thought toothbrushes were too rough for any use on painted areas so I use good quality paint brushes in different sizes to get in those hard to reach areas.

I figure soft ones are just fine for hinges and such.

VW-4-Life
04-25-2010, 04:13 PM
So I have a question about the jams also, after you guys spray the jams down with cleaner and agitate the grime, how do rinse the jams without water splashing all inside the car? Even when I use a light stream of water it makes a mess.

Thanks,
Jamie

Donald Greco
04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
For jam rinsing I use a pressure sprayer, it is very easy to control. I have a 2 gallon pumper and it has a nozzle that can be aimed and the stream is adjustable.