PDA

View Full Version : can I skip the bucket with a foam cannon and PW?

paspar2
04-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Looking to speed up my weekly car washes...

Can I use my electric 1700 psi pressure washer with the foam cannon to cover the car with foam and rinse off using a wide arc on the PW and expect the car to be clean?

Or will I need to go over it twice:
step 1: foam, let stand, wash off
step2: refoam, work the foam with a sponge, then rinse?

I would love to dump my buckets!

The car is a black 911 and a car wash seems to last just several house now days - pollen covers it overnight (no garage here)...

Also, I have the lowes soft sponge, should I switch to a soft lambswool mitt or something like that?

thanks!

ScottB
04-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I find with a foam gun or foam cannon you "can" replace one bucket if desired. Heres the idea:

1. Presoak vehicle with soap to remove contaminents and allow the emulsifiers to start working

2. Grab one bucket of clean rinse water to wash mitt/sponge after each panel.

3. Foam your mitt well and respray each panel prior to washing it. I prefer straight lines, and suggest rinsing mitt at each panel.

4. Dump the rinse water at 1/2 point and replace with clean clear water for second half.

5. Now others suggest respraying the entire car during (to keep sun from evaporating soap/water) and to help rinse down all loosened contaminents. Id suggest experimenting to find your pattern in your environment.

As for sponges, just make sure they dont scratch. When in doubt test on back of cd first.

Also note , pollen=abrasive , tread with extra care or scratches might insue

MikeyC
04-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I use this method (similar to Killr's but a little different):

1. Spray the car down to rinse away any large dirt particles
2. Clean wheels/tires/wheel wells
3. Foam 1/2 the car
4. Use mitt to agitate the foam on the surface of the paint frequently rinsing the mitt in a bucket with a small amount of soap perhaps 1 oz in 4-5 gallons of H20.
5. Rinse
6. Repeat steps 3-5 on the other side of the car

I only do half the car at a time because if I foamed the whole car I'd have to move REALLY fast to wash both sides before all the soap slid off or dried up.

paspar2
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks. which mitt do you prefer ?

Misterpaul
04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I find with a foam gun or foam cannon you "can" replace one bucket if desired. Here's the idea:

1. Pre-soak vehicle with soap to remove contaminants and allow the emulsifiers to start working

2. Grab one bucket of clean rinse water to wash mitt/sponge after each panel.

3. Foam your mitt well and respray each panel prior to washing it. I prefer straight lines, and suggest rinsing mitt at each panel.

4. Dump the rinse water at 1/2 point and replace with clean clear water for second half.

5. Now others suggest respraying the entire car during (to keep sun from evaporating soap/water) and to help rinse down all loosened contaminants. Id suggest experimenting to find your pattern in your environment.

As for sponges, just make sure they don't scratch. When in doubt test on back of cd first.

Also note , pollen=abrasive , tread with extra care or scratches might ensue

:iagree: This is my time saver wash process, and I'm very happy with it.