PDA

View Full Version : Why, how and When Do You Use Steel Wool?

Pages : [1] 2

bodavenport
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I see that people use 00 steel wool to polish exhaust with. I am curious as the when that would be appropriate? How do you go about doing it and lastly why you use it at all? I have some cars coming that have not been pampered at all.

Harleyguy
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
As far as the steel wool gig .I use the 0000 wool on exhaust tips that are really in bad shape.And other metal pieces that require some cleaning up.But i learned something new at this years DF from the rep from flitz instead of using steel wool use brass wool.Since steel wool has small steel particle's in it if you don't clean off those left over pieces they can rust which makes a whole lot of sense.You don't have that problem when you use brass wool which also comes in different level of coarseness.By the way Flitz is a great product

trhland
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
cleanes exhaust. nice.. if windows have stickstuff on them its good. crome. rust spots lightlybuff... 0000 only though..

jzuniga01
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
How do you clean windows with steel wool? Do you polish them afterwards? what kind of polish?

trhland
04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
spray windowcleaner then light buff. then wipe off with a nice microfiber.... but if ur windows dont need steelwool dont useit..

jzuniga01
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
How do you know when to use it or not?

Harleyguy
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
You know you need to use it when nothing else works for you.Just like when you use a compound start with the least aggressive product and work your way up .

jzuniga01
04-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok Thanks

trhland
04-23-2010, 02:30 PM
if u have gunk on ur window. like from a kids loli pop or buggers or anything that wont come off with straight cleaneing . u use this method...

richy
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
As far as the steel wool gig .I use the 0000 wool on exhaust tips that are really in bad shape.And other metal pieces that require some cleaning up.But i learned something new at this years DF from the rep from flitz instead of using steel wool use brass wool.Since steel wool has small steel particle's in it if you don't clean off those left over pieces they can rust which makes a whole lot of sense.You don't have that problem when you use brass wool which also comes in different level of coarseness.By the way Flitz is a great product

Adam...I've never even heard of Brass wool. Is it harder to find? I don't think I've ever seen it at Home Depot or anything. Thanks for that tip. BTW, does it also come in 0000 and different levels like the steel wool?

CEE DOG
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Interesting! Thanks for the tip Adam

DARK HORSE
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the tip Adam

Yes, thank you for the tip Adam!

ScottB
04-24-2010, 07:51 AM

He taught me this also .... havent had opportunity to find it yet, any luck locally ??

InTheBuff
04-25-2010, 08:55 AM
My local "Do it Best" hardware has bronze wool. Not the same as brass wool, but the same idea. Bronze won't rust either.

Other places to try would be marine/boating stores and maybe a hunting/gunsmith store as well.

Harleyguy
04-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Adam...I've never even heard of Brass wool. Is it harder to find? I don't think I've ever seen it at Home Depot or anything. Thanks for that tip. BTW, does it also come in 0000 and different levels like the steel wool?Matter of fact the rep from Flitz gave me a two pack of there product i will try and take a picture of it or find a link.I believe flitz carries it on there web site.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip AdamAnytime Corey.

Yes, thank you for the tip Adam!That's what it's all about Tad sharing info

He taught me this also .... havent had opportunity to find it yet, any luck locally ??I may stop in at one of the local marine stores and see what they carry .