PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit hesistant to buy waxes...

WRAPT C5Z06
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Rumor has it that waxes tend to mute metallic flakes, and my car is metallic. I've stuck to sealants for the most part. However, there's some interesting waxes out there. How true is it that waxes mute metallic flakes?

HighEndDetail
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
DP max wax, and Pinnacle Sig series II both will be fine for your metallic paint. They don't hide the flake in paint.

Dubbin1
04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I have used Natty's Red on my Malibu (with tons of flake) it really makes the flake pop. Now that's on a dark blue car so I'm not really sure what to say about your silver.

Fred114
04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Just rumours :)
I use Max Wax, Griot's Best of Show, and Megs #26 paste and think those really help flake pop. But also love my 4 Star sealant.

christian900se
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I have yet to find any waxes that mute metallic flake. I normally use Pinnacle Sig. Series II or Collinite 915 on metallic cars and they produce stunning results everytime.

A4 1.8tqm
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't buy it, a layer of wax is clear and extremely thin. I will say that I "feel like" I can pick up on subtle differences from wax to wax/sealant, but in all honesty I think it's mostly in my head. If a wax even could hinder the look of flake it would be because the wax is blocking light from passing through, reflecting off the color and back through again. If that was the case, that wax would look terrible on black paint, leaving a haze of some sort. IMO if it looks good on flat black I doubt it will mute flakes, and what wax sold here won't look good on black?

Also, in detailjohns thread, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/24844-9-waxes-unbiased-review.html he shows that both wax and sealant reduce the gloss meter reading. These are very subtle differences, and obviously he didn't test every product, but I guess less reflectivity would slightly mute flake. Your well polished paint will look amazing either way. But if your hesitant to move from sealant to wax, I say go hybrid and get some... Fuzion!!! It's the only wax I have that I honestly think has a look of it's own, surreal or like the look HDR photography can give. My $0.02 :xyxthumbs:

forrest@mothers
04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Rumor has it that waxes .......

Honestly, you're better off to buy some waxes and find out for yourself instead of believing what's posted everywhere.

The person who posted that rumor could just as easily be a 12 year old who doesn't have the slightest idea what he's typing as a real enthusiast who may or may not have an agenda.

Yes, I have an agenda (getting folks to care for their vehicles), but at least I use my name and everyone can easily figure out my stake in car care.

ScottB
04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
rumors indeed --- started by some rather well known sealant companies. Plain and simple, use what you want and like, dont listen to others.

jpegs13
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Fuzion on my yellow pearl is beeeeeautiful!

WRAPT C5Z06
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone. :props: Just wanted to throw it out there...

loudog2
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Supernatural won't hide anything. You can buy the small samples of Fuzion, supernatural and a couple others to try out.

mike matchlat
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a coat of fuzion on my silver vette it has never looked better

C. Charles Hahn
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Dare I say it? "Find something you like and use it often."

And with that said, the only way you can find out what you like is to try things for yourself.

D0ughB0y
04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm going to be putting a coat of Auto Glym on my silver DTS tomorrow. I'll let you know how it looks (with pics).