PDA

View Full Version : Questions about "Gimmick" Pads ???

2003 GMC Denali
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
3 questions for you.

1) By buying the bigger diameter pads, is there a risk that there is so much drag on the Pad, that it has difficulty doing it's "DA-Orbital" thing? The Kompressor pads are almost 7 inches in diameter. For a newbie, I like the fact that they have a rolled lip of Foam, so the Backing Plate won't hit anything, but their huge size worries me.

2) Are these Kompressor, CCS, Cross Hatch Pads gimmicks or do they really work? I see so many guys just buying the plain ol Pads, that it leads me to wonder if these "gimmick" Pads really work.

3) The Kompressor Pads seem to have a limited Velcro Contact Patch. Is it enough to keep the Pad on solid, or does it sometimes get loose and fall off?

I have the Second-generation Griots DA Buffer... that hopes to see operation this coming Summer.

Irish
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
I've got a few Kompressor pads and a fair sized collection of CCS pads. Yes, they do work. As for why many people, myself included, opt for simple flat pads is personal preference. Flat pads simply feel better to me while polishing. I really don't know how to put it into words. More predictable I guess?

On a DA, even one with a huge amount of power like the Griot's, a 7" pad like the Kompressor line may be asking a bit much. You'll have to wait for someone who owns a Griot's to chime in on that though.

PAR Detailing
04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I have never used the new GG but everyone talkes about how the larger pads create too much drag on the buffer. Everyone I have read (atleast that I can remember) uses the 5.5 pads. Since the GG does not have forced rotation that makes sense with physics. Less surface area of the pad therefore less friction and loss of power

Again wait for someone who actually uses the machine to help.

Lastly I wouldnt worry too much about having extra clearance on the sides. I have used pads with very little clearance and not once have I come close to hitting the paint or anything with the bp. Take your time and you will be just fine IMO.

Jon

jeryjon
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I have some of the 6" kompressor and I use them with my GG DA Buffer. I haven't used them much but I like them.

Irish
04-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I have some of the 6" kompressor and I use them with my GG DA Buffer. I haven't used them much but I like them.

I didn't even know they offered them in 6". :xyxthumbs:

termigator
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I didn't even know they offered them in 6". :xyxthumbs:

The just came out with them a month or two ago, I think. I'll probably start buying them instead of the 7"s.

Harleyguy
04-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Kompressor pads really shine when using a rotary .I feel they are to big for a DA.I would stay away from pads larger then 5.5 for use on a DA that's the size you get the best correction with i feel.

CEE DOG
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I think the necesity of having a little clearance of pad around the perimeter of your backing plate depends on the vehicle. Depending on the curves and angles in each panel it can be needed. On my Sky using a pad without any clearance is a tricky proposition paticularly on the lid.

btw: As stated with the GG those pad sizes are a bit much.

DARK HORSE
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I think the necesity of having a little clearance of pad around the perimeter of your backing plate depends on the vehicle. Depending on the curves and angles in each panel it can be needed. On my Sky using a pad without any clearance is a tricky proposition paticularly on the lid.

:iagree:My Stang has more angles and curves then (well you know)...

O.C.Detailing
04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I haven't used anything larger than 6.5" on my GG and haven't had the pleasure of trying the Kompressor pads yet. I'd stick with the 5.5" pads as they do offer better correction. It is a bit easier to stop a 6.5" pad from spinning in comparison to the 5.5" low-profile pads though.

2003 GMC Denali
04-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the comments...

So nobody has had any issues with the Pads coming loose. There appears to be limited Velcro contact with the Kompressors. The Brand-name and the White Paint kinda take away from the amount of Velcro contact there is.

I have a few of the 6.5" K's and I'd like to stick with them, if they are going to do the job.

My Truck has lots of corners too, cause it's a QuadraSteer Truck and so the Fenders kinda go out like a Dualie, but not as much.