PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Leather Treatment question

dougbthom
04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
As a newcomer to "detailing" and after spending a fair bit of time studying the various products in the marketplace, I decided to order Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/ Conditioner. I did the leather seats on our Honda Pilot and was somewhat disappointed in the results. I was looking for a bit glossier finish when using a good quality product. What product would you recommend to treat/protect leather? The leather in our Honda is in excellent shape.
Thanks
Doug

kronos
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
...disappointed in the results. I was looking for a bit glossier finish when using a good quality product...

Funny you say that. Many detailer's consider gloss to be the opposite of a quality product. Many prefer the matte, new leather look over the oily dressing look. Meguiar's is a good product, but if you want something glossier, you may have to look for it at your local auto parts store. Autogeek carries products that tend to leave a matte look as opposed to glossy.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Funny you say that. Many detailer's consider gloss to be the opposite of a quality product. Many prefer the matte, new leather look over the oily dressing look. Meguiar's is a good product, but if you want something glossier, you may have to look for it at your local auto parts store. Autogeek carries products that tend to leave a matte look as opposed to glossy.
:iagree:

jwellsii
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
+1 :iagree:

BimmerFerret
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I agree with them as well. I remember when I used to go for the shiny stuff in all aspects. My prime example is OTC tire shine (Black Magic). I spent 3 hours cleaning my fiance's yellow car and put on some shiny tire wet...

After ONE drive. Yeah, it was slung everywhere. Now I'm all on the matte finish boat! Much easier to deal with, and it looks more legit IMO.

ScottB
04-22-2010, 05:09 PM
If you like something more shiny (personal preference) lean towards the vinyl/rubber protectant from Einszett. Its not blazingly glarring and glossy but more so than most matte coated leather dressings.

dougbthom
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. It makes perfect sense not to use a product that will look too glossy but rather have a more natural look. Maybe I'll stick to the Meguiar's product and see how it works out after a few applications.

D0ughB0y
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Any opinions on the Lexol product?

olbear1962
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Also agree, the matt look is very nice.
I use Leatherique and have not tried Meguair's products.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Cleaner is decent. Conditioner sucks, IMO.

CEE DOG
04-22-2010, 10:03 PM

I like Lexol among others.

GatorJZ
04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
I like Lexol among others.

+1.

pushtiulk
04-26-2010, 06:21 AM
+1 for Leatherique. If you don't want to use Rejuvinator Oil for the moment, you can clean the leather surface with Prestine Clean.

2010V8Colorado
04-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Did not get the results I was wanting from Meguiar's. Splurged, for me, and got some WG Leather Cleaner and WG Leather Cleaner. My seats really did not need cleaning as they are new, but I used the cleaner anyway. Really like the WG Conditioner results. Soft, matte finish that looks natural, not shiney, and love that natureal leather smell. The leather is also much softer than after using the Meguiar's. After a week, it still looks like it did the day it was done. Very pleased with the WG combo.