PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna confusion

dnoraker
04-21-2010, 12:13 PM
After being 95% Meguiars user (and a big fan!) I'm diving into the world of boutique products. I just ordered the "German Final Gloss Combo" from Autogeek, thinking it was coming with PO85RD, but I think it actually comes with PO85U "Final Polish". I read so much about the PO85RD and how it's great for following the M105/M205 combo to further refine the finish and meant to order that, but now I'm not sure what I just got.

Is the PO85U more like a redundant product with M205?

I looked on the Menzerna chart and the "U" version is rated as a "4.5" on the gloss scale, whereas the "RD" is rated a "5". Is this really splitting hairs, and am I going to notice any difference, or should I order up some PO85RD to get the finish I'm really after? I also noticed that the "U" version has more cut- "2.5" versus "1" for the "RD" version.

Basically, I feel that the M205/finishing pad/PC combo isn't getting the paint to "pop" like when I use the rotary after lots of forum help and a few seasons of practice. I'm looking for the next step.

I haven't seen the PO85U mentioned in forums posts; just on the charts. The names are awfully confusing, being a newbie to the brand, and seem to be called different things on the different charts and on the Menzerna web site. I also don't see the PO85RD mentioned on the chart comparing multiple brands of compounds/polishes.

In the realm of Menzerna finishing polishes, are there polishes on their way out, or maybe oldies-but-goodies? And then the new, improved versions of them? Kind of like the Meguiars 80-series being taken over by the 105/205/95?

dnoraker
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I forgot to mention that my standard procedure with a detail where I'm going for a 99.9% swirl-free finish is to use the rotary and a Meguiars yellow polishing pad with M205 (M105 on yellow pad or Meguiars yellow wool pad if further correction is necessary). To remove any remaining rotary holograms, I use M205/Meguiars black finishing pad/PC. The last step is what I'm looking to replace with a Menzerna finishing polish.

termigator
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Just my opinion, of course, but I think the 85u and 85rd thing is splitting hairs. I've used 85u for a long time and have gotten a great finish with it. I also bought 85rd a while back and used it. Personally, I couldn't tell a difference as far as finish, but it definitely has less cut.. I also have 106fa and I think that finishes down just as well as the others. It's my absolute favorite polish.:xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Since you have the 85U use it with a grey pad to jewel the paint.

dnoraker
04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Following what some had said about 85RD, I ordered CCS blue pads to go with it, not knowing I had ordered the wrong polish. I've also been reading that the flat pads seem to be better for the PC than the CCS. I may return them and get the grey ones. I'm also guessing that the blue pads don't have enough cut for 85U, but would have been a good match for the 85RD.

I also have all of the Meguiars pads, so I'll probably use the black finishing pads with the 85U.

Maybe it is better that I have the 85U since I'm going to be typically following rotary buffing to remove holograms. 85RD doesn't sound like it has much cut at all.

termigator
04-21-2010, 05:02 PM
You don't have to return the blue pads for gray pads. Neither one has any cut at all. Blue is just a little softer. Whether is CCS or flat is a matter of personal preference. I have both and I really don't see a huge difference or advantage between the two.

dnoraker
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
So, would the blue pads be firm enough to remove holograms with 85U? Or would I need to use either the Meguiars finishing or polishing pads that I already own, or is there a better LC pad for this application?

Rsurfer
04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
So, would the blue pads be firm enough to remove holograms with 85U? Or would I need to use either the Meguiars finishing or polishing pads that I already own, or is there a better LC pad for this application?
The gray should work geat with 85U. The blue lc pads are normally used with 85rd or 3m Ultrafina for jeweling (burnishing) the paint

termigator
04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Personally, I don't use the gray or blue pads to remove any kinds of defects. If my car still had holograms, I would use the light polishing green pad to start with. I'm not a big fan of no-cut pads for defect removal.
I've never used the Meguiar's pads, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I would probably use the polishing (yellow?) with 85u to work on the holograms.
Before the advent of "jeweling" and the light polishing green LC pad, I always used 85u with the white LC pad and it did an excellent job of finishing down. Might be because I owned a Honda and Acura. They're known to have soft paints. I never had much success using 85u on my mother's Mercedes. They have much harder paints.
What car are you working on? A lot of this depends on the hardness of the paint you're working on.

dnoraker
04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I have a PT detailing business, so I will see a variety. My personal vehicle is an '06 Nissan Altima (dark red, as you see in my avatar).

Here is my current standard process:
M105 if needed with rotary and any number of pads
M205 with rotary and Megs yellow polishing pad
M205 with Megs G100/PC with a Megs black finishing pad

I just want to replace that last step with the most appropriate Menzerna product. I'm guessing I would want 2-3 different ways of finishing, depending on the type of paint I'm working with. I've always used the same process and want to get better at picking the right product/pad for the finish. Maybe something for hard ceramic paints (which I haven't encountered yet), something for medium hardness, and something for the soft Honda-type paints. Also, something for single-stage if different from the clear coat paints.

I'm also thinking about converting over to a Flex DA polisher. I'm reading so many rave reviews that I'm starting to think it's a must-have for the best of both worlds of speed and results. My G100 doesn't seem to have much power to it, and sometimes the rotary seems like overkill. I want something that I can do one extra polishing step above a waxing to get the extra swirl removal without having to do rotary AND follow with a DA to clean up remaining holograms. BUT....that's probably a whole separate thread...

termigator
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Your last step, (M205 with black finishing pad) according to a lot of people, should be just as good as using any of the Menzerna products mentioned so far. I've had limited success with M205 (Gotta use it more often to figure out it's nuances), but a lot of people finish down just fine with M205. Hopefully some M205 experts will chime in and help you out.
As it stands, if you have 85u already, just try it with the black finishing pad and see if you like the results. The resident expert here, Mike Phillips, always encourages folks to do a "test spot" to make sure you like the result before doing the whole car.

I have the Flex and it is a wonderful machine. Pricey, but wonderful! I guarantee you would not be disappointed with the machine. However, since you already use a rotary, I don't think you really need the Flex. Just my opinion, of course.

2003 GMC Denali
05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
I too, think parts of the Menzerna Product Line is confusing as Hell.

I currently have Meg's 105/205 Combo and have been noticing that everyone is following it up with PO85RD

When I go the Menzerna Comparison Chart and move my Cursor over the "PO85RD", what comes up next is a picture of PO85RD and then if I follow that with a click, up comes up "PO85U". This must be Web-Site mistake, huh ?

Under the "Type" Column, I figure that products in the "Finishing" Type box is a finer Cut than those in the "Polishing" Type box. So then why down at the bottom does it say "The Super Intensive Polish Stock Number PO85RD3.02 has been renamed to PO83Q".

Is a Super Intensive Polish still not better after using 205 ? Do you want to use Finshing Products after you use Polishing Products ? Is that the order ?

Was the 85RD3.02 (now called PO83Q) a different compound than the plain ol 85RD that everyone speaks of ?

Why does everybody like Menzerna PO85RD so much, when it says its made for Scratch-Resistant, Ceramic Clear-Coat ? My GMC Truck doesn't have this type of Paint.

Under the Type Column, in the Finishing Category, you can get a Final Finish and Final Polish. If I compare Cut = 1 of the PO85RD and the Cut = 2.4 of the PO85U, can I assume that the PO85RD is a better choice for the last compound to use before Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 ?

My line of questioning is probably confusing to some and all over the map, but should I just let the Cut Column and Gloss Column dictate for me what I want to do. I read the original Posters Comments and I thought to myself, this is the Thread thats going to answer all my Questions... but then somehow it doesn't quite do it for me.

I think Menzerna could change all their Product Numbers to something way more simpler.

Rsurfer
05-09-2010, 03:40 PM
2003 GMC Denali: Is a Super Intensive Polish still not better after using 205 ? Do you want to use Finshing Products after you use Polishing Products ? Is that the order ?
(SIP has more cut than 205 so you wouldn't use it after 205.)

Why does everybody like Menzerna PO85RD so much, when it says its made for Scratch-Resistant, Ceramic Clear-Coat ? My GMC Truck doesn't have this type of Paint.
(You can use 85RD on regular clear coat.)

Was the 85RD3.02 (now called PO83Q) a different compound than the plain ol 85RD that everyone speaks of ?
(PO83Q is SIP and not 85RD.)

Under the Type Column, in the Finishing Category, you can get a Final Finish and Final Polish. If I compare Cut = 1 of the PO85RD and the Cut = 2.4 of the PO85U, can I assume that the PO85RD is a better choice for the last compound to use before Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
(Yes, 85RD is a finishing polish.)

My line of questioning is probably confusing to some and all over the map, but should I just let the Cut Column and Gloss Column dictate for me what I want to do. I read the original Posters Comments and I thought to myself, this is the Thread thats going to answer all my Questions... but then somehow it doesn't quite do it for me.
(Yes, the cut column will dictate the aggressiveness of the polish. Just use that as a guide.)