PDA

View Full Version : Tire Cleaners?

Pages : [1] 2

1flyfisher
04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
What is a good one? What are you using?
I want to clean new tires and then treat them with 303 protectant. They are new but I want to clean them real good first. Should I just scrub with Griot's car wash shampoo or should I hit them with a tire/rubber cleaner like Mother's or something similar. I am looking for something cheap maybe over the counter to spray on and hose off to cut down on scrubbing if I can. I will be driving in the dirt a lot and when I detail I don't want to leave brown wheels.

Also are wool buffing balls or mother's power balls that go on an electric drill any good for buffing chrome wheels?

WRAPT C5Z06
04-20-2010, 10:24 PM
For OTC the best tire cleaner is Westley's Bleach White. Very good stuff. You can find it at pep boys. I use optimum power clean(non-diluted) on tires. Good stuff, but it's not OTC. Another good tire cleaner is Amazing Roll-off, but that's not OTC either.

akimel
04-20-2010, 10:36 PM
You might give Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner a try. You can find it at most local auto stores.

Westley's Bleche-Wite is pretty strong. Try to keep it off your wheels. More than a few detailers hate the stuff, but others swear by it. Since your tires are new, you might want to try the Eagle One tire cleaner before moving up to Westley's. You can also use the Eagle One to safely clean your wheels.

LincolnZephyr2006
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Even though they are new... Westleys will still take a lot of dirt out. I love the stuff... just be careful to only spray it on the tire

WRAPT C5Z06
You can also use the Eagle One to safely clean your wheels.
There was a recent thread on corvette forum where a guy used this product on his polished wheels and it stained them pretty bad! Maybe it's because they were not clear-coated, but still....

To the OP, if you have mothers rubber cleaner, use that, it will be perfect.

CEE DOG
I use griots rubber cleaner for the tires (and window seals occasionally as well)

Dubbin1
04-20-2010, 10:57 PM
For OTC the best tire cleaner is Westley's Bleach White.

Westley's Bleche-Wite ;)

Best stuff I have ever used to clean a tire.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Westley's Bleche-Wite ;)

Best stuff I have ever used to clean a tire.
It is a little bit bothersome that you have to really try to keep it off the wheels. Kind of a pain if you ask me, but a great tire cleaner. I only like to clean my tires with something that is safe for wheels, too.

muddy
04-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Amazing Roll Off. Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)
Watch stuff literally run off your tires. Also it's clear coat safe so no worries about it on your wheels.

Dubbin1
04-20-2010, 11:10 PM
It is a little bit bothersome that you have to really try to keep it off the wheels. Kind of a pain if you ask me, but a great tire cleaner. I only like to clean my tires with something that is safe for wheels, too.

I never had a problem with it on coated wheels, never used it on non-coated though.

1flyfisher
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I'll pass on anything that I have to be careful with, I have brand new chrome wheels. The tires are new so they won't need much strong cleaning yet. I'll try the soap and water and then 303 I should be ok for now.
I think I will get whatever I find in the store when I need a good cleaning of the tires. The Mother's stuff should do fine.

Adam
04-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I love Stoner's Xenit for cleaning tyres. No dressing either for that natural clean look! :)

Crispy
01-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Did you ask the guy you bought the tires from? I too am looking for a good tire cleaner, but it makes sense a tire guy would know what works best?

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Did you ask the guy you bought the tires from? I too am looking for a good tire cleaner, but it makes sense a tire guy would know what works best?

What would a tire guy know about cleaning tires? All the tires they sell are clean because they are new.

This is an old thread, but my current tire cleaner of choice is Optimum Power Clean.

WAXOFF
01-06-2015, 09:15 PM
I use the bottle on the left. I pay 5 bucks a gallon. Great stuff. I spray in on full strength and it rinses off all kind of brown dirt and tire dressing and makes my white letters rally white. As for Bleche White when Black magic bought the name from Westley's they took something out of it and it doesn't work like the original stuff. For any of you who remember after you would use the bottle for a while the nozzle would get a crusty look and feeling from some chemical in it. it may have been some kind of acid or something but it worked.