PDA

View Full Version : Pads - how many of which?

nomercy346
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I can't really decide on the number of pads I should get of the different colors. I will only use them on my own vehicle and of course those of family members and friends, but no detailing business...

My current list:
(for a DA Polisher)

3 - LC 5.5" CCS orange
3 - LC 5.5" CCS white
3 - LC 5.5" CCS blue/grey

2 - LC 4" orange
2 - LC 4" white

1 - LC foam applicator orange
1 - LC foam applicator white
1 - LC foam applicator blue

Would I be better off with less of the blue/grey pads as they would only be used to apply the sealant, instead adding more of either the orange or white?
Is the blue or grey pad better suited to apply sealant?
Any need for blue/grey spot pads? I guess I could get the sealant on these areas by hand with the foam applicator.
Feed back please

kronos
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Your list looks pretty good, but I added a little more. This is sufficient for a three step process. The more important question however, as Mike likes to ask is; What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have pictures? Well I think that's what he would ask. :cool:

4 - LC 5.5" Flat Orange
4 - LC 5.5" Flat White
4 - LC 5.5" Flat Blue

2 - LC 4" Flat or CCS Orange
2 - LC 4" " White
2 - LC 4" " Blue

nomercy346
04-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Your list looks pretty good, but I added a little more. This is sufficient for a three step process. The more important question however, as Mike likes to ask is; What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have pictures? Well I think that's what he would ask. :cool:

4 - LC 5.5" Flat Orange
4 - LC 5.5" Flat White
4 - LC 5.5" Flat Blue

2 - LC 4" Flat or CCS Orange
2 - LC 4" " White
2 - LC 4" " Blue

thx,
sorry no pics atm, planning to use M105/205 combo followed by wolfgang sealant on medium swirled and scratched BMW paint (all are of the harder clear coated variety) to bring the shine back...
Are 4 pads each enough to do a whole midsize car without having to clean pads?
Does the sealant application process really eat up as many pads as the cutting with 105 does?

grantm
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
thx,
sorry no pics atm, planning to use M105/205 combo followed by wolfgang sealant on medium swirled and scratched BMW paint (all are of the harder clear coated variety) to bring the shine back...
Are 4 pads each enough to do a whole midsize car without having to clean pads?
Does the sealant application process really eat up as many pads as the cutting with 105 does?
I would say you will probably be washing your 4 pads many times when doing a midsized car. You want the pads as clean as possible to get optimal defect removal.

ScottB
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I always suggest 2 per color per vehicle as the minimum.

maximus20895
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
What about the black pads? Seems like your are going from white to blue and skipping black. Any reason?

D0ughB0y
04-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I've got two decent sized vehicles (Ranger and Deville). Do you still suggest 2 pads per color? The paint is in decent condition. Some swirling, but I try to take care of them by hand as much as I can.

Since i'm planning on going with a machine (PCXP) in the near future, I was looking at the 105/205 combo pack.