PDA

View Full Version : Got tree sap off, next step?

bladerunner
04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I parked at my parents house this weekend and got sapped!

Didn't have any room left to take my car cover with me.

I have a black 95 Lincoln Town Car. It needed a lot of work when I got it and here's the routine I used.

Washed, clayed, Meg's paint cleaner, Menzerna polishes to get the shine using a PC orbital, Wolfgang sealer using the PC, Pinnacle Soveran wax via PC.

I always hand wash and followup with Wolfgang detailer.

Now to the sap.

I searched here and found that warm water and soap should do it since it was fresh.
That did seem to do the trick. Seems like it's gone. However, when I put the cover over it tonight, I noticed it's not very slick. I guess with the heat, I removed most of the wax.

I might go back and do some light polishing with Menzerna but the gloss seems fine.

What should my next steps be? It's been about a year since all the polishing/waxing but I only drive this car about 4 times a year so it's not abused. When in town, it never sits outside.

So first did I really get all the sap off or just thin it out and spread it around the surface?

Or, could I just reseal and wax and move on?

My guess right now is;
- light Menzerna repolishing
- Wolfgang seal
- Soveran 2 coats
- Wolfgang detailer (carnuaba version)

Autogeek, thanks for all the help! The forum was great to search for tips how to get rid of the tree sap. I was freakin out when I saw that sap sitting on the car.

Steve

tuscarora dave
04-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Sounds to me like you have a good plan worked out for the car.

rohnramirez
04-20-2010, 04:10 AM
I would add claying it again just to be sure you got all the sap out. But polishing would most likely remove all of it though.

Racin10s
04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I would add claying it again just to be sure you got all the sap out. But polishing would most likely remove all of it though.

:iagree: Clay it to be sure, then when you polish you will be sure it is all gone.

bladerunner
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I will give the claying a try and see if it makes a diff. I will also try my Megs Paint Cleaner and compare.

I can't feel any bumps or roughness now and no visible 'dots' of sap. However, that doesn't mean I didn't spread the sap all over the body anyway. I did use hot water and more soap that usual to make sure I was dissolving the sap.

Also, tried Stoner's Tarminator as a test and that stuff worked great!

I am thinking of detailing the engine now that I have to redo the bodywork anyway. Been researching that. Probably will go with some CD engine cleaner for hard spots, DP External Cleaner or 303 Cleaner and then Megs Engine Kote. They don't sell the Engine Kote anymore but I found several threads around where people really liked Engine Kote. I guess Hyper Dressing replaced it.

I will report back. Looks like rain so I won't be doing this soon. Waiting for a second 10x10 canopy to arrive so I can cover my car completely when working on it.

bladerunner
05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Ok, got some work done today. Taped off the nonpaint surfaces and cleaned the paint using Wolfgang's Paint Enhancer to prep for polishing.

I found the paint to be pretty clean after using Wolfgang's Paint Enhancer. I tried claying but found no perceivable difference from the condition after the Enhancer.

I then used Menzerna Micro Polish to start my polishing. But I have a problem. When I am removing the residual after polishing, I am wiping it too hard and getting streaks, like swirl marks but the result of my wiping the residual off too hard. I am using a blue microfiber.

How should I be removing the residual polish so that I don't get the streaking marks in finish? They appear like minor swirl marks and I am sure are the result of 'dragging' the left over polish over the surface.

CEE DOG
05-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok, got some work done today. Taped off the nonpaint surfaces and cleaned the paint using Wolfgang's Paint Enhancer to prep for polishing.

I found the paint to be pretty clean after using Wolfgang's Paint Enhancer. I tried claying but found no perceivable difference from the condition after the Enhancer.

I then used Menzerna Micro Polish to start my polishing. But I have a problem. When I am removing the residual after polishing, I am wiping it too hard and getting streaks, like swirl marks but the result of my wiping the residual off too hard. I am using a blue microfiber.

How should I be removing the residual polish so that I don't get the streaking marks in finish? They appear like minor swirl marks and I am sure are the result of 'dragging' the left over polish over the surface.

The towel sounds suspect to me. Is it a clean quality towel? Is it a polish removal towel.

My guess would be contaminated towel or subpar towel or something fell on the paint before you wiped.

You said blue. Are you using the Cobra indigo?

bladerunner
05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
The towel sounds suspect to me. Is it a clean quality towel? Is it a polish removal towel.
My guess would be contaminated towel or subpar towel or something fell on the paint before you wiped.
You said blue. Are you using the Cobra indigo?

I am using a blue towel that is not as dark as the indigo. I have several that were sold a while ago so it's a polish removal towel but not a Cobra.

I think I know what I did. I forgot to switch my removal towel when I changed over from the PO91 Intensive Polish. It started raining and I had to tear down and get everything into the garage for about an hour. I was carrying that more coarse PO91 residue in that towel.

Mike Phillips
05-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Make sure you're wipe the product off immediately after you work it, don't let it dry. You can try misting on a little spray detailer too..

:)

bladerunner
05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Make sure you're wipe the product off immediately after you work it, don't let it dry. You can try misting on a little spray detailer too.. :)

Mike, thanks.

I was also thinking of that. It's been a while since I used the Menzerna as I was using up my old Megs. I have a spray bottle of IPA/distilled water at 50/50 and had used that last time. I will try the detailer spray too and see if that works any better.
You're right. I was definitely working too large of an area as well.

Thanks for the followup.

Steve

ballfan4141
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
does anyone ever get their concentrated tire cleaner on the paint a little bit while doing the wheels and rims? would it be good to hose it off or can it cause scratches. I figure it would discolor before scratching. any ideas and how to avoid this?