PDA

View Full Version : Do you do this too?

Pages : [1] 2

TheCougarGuy
04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I recently got back into detailing. So I go and buy all kinds of cool stuff and start detailing my cars and trucks. I've having a blast. Now here is the thing...I find myself looking at the finish on every car I see looking for swirls and scratches.

I think I need to go to a meeting!

Mike Phillips
04-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I think I need to go to a meeting!

You are at a meeting.

:)

Superior_Details
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Im pretty sure that everyone on this site does that...lol

D0ughB0y
04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Looking at every single car on the road, in a parking lot, etc. to see who actually cleans their car and who doesn't. Noticing who does half arsed jobs, who just washes, spots they neglected, etc.

Then you see the 'real clean' cars... and you look them up and down.

Case in point was coming into work. There was a VERY nicely done 300M. The car is in the parking lot every day and today was the first day it looked good. I went up and looked at it close, not a swirl to be found. Someone spent a bunch of time on that car and did a really nice job.

cadd
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Yep..I catch myself doing the exact same thing. I see a car with swirls or some bad oxidation and think to myself..damn, I wish I could get my buffer on that car !

DARK HORSE
04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I think it may be time to re-introduce this thead. It may be able to offer some support...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/21761-do-i-need-aa.html

JohnnyC
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
If you have the passion then that is normal:buffing:

cadd
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
yea..I think I better sign up for the AA..feel a few symptoms coming on

Billd0957
04-20-2010, 11:40 AM
So its not just me?

spike
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes!! I'm glad to see that others have this issue as well...maybe I'm not crazy after all...

But, on the flip side, I hope someone with more experience than me isn't looking at my car after putting 20 long hours into it this weekend and sees the RIDS that I could not get out of the finish!! LOL :eek:

Munich77
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I admit to doing that too.

Do you all also cringe when you drive by the car wash and see nice cars go through the scratcho-matic or see car owners use the nice brush on the paint in the self-serve?

TheCougarGuy
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Do you all also cringe when you drive by the car wash and see nice cars go through the scratcho-matic or see car owners use the nice brush on the paint in the self-serve?

A lady I work with saw my car this morning and said how nice it looked. I told her it was "wash night" last night for the car & truck that sit outside (2 stay in the garage). She said that I spend way too much time washing my vehicles and I should just take them through an automatic car wash (which I can say I've never been to).

This from the same woman who took a scotch bright pad to her Explorer because there was tree sap or something on the paint!

Racin10s
04-20-2010, 12:39 PM
lol.. My wife is getting tired of me pointing this stuff out to her... I have been trying to teach her how to use QD and when to use it. lol.

cadd
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
My wife thinks I'm crazy, because everytime I notice a car like you mentioned..I start telling her, what all it needs and what kind of polish i would use on it, type wax.etc. etc....She thinks I'm a nut case !!!

Adam
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Not only do I look at other cars for scratches and swirls, I also go over pad and polish combinations in my mind that might remove them! Im the MAN

I'm also hanging for Saturday so I can correct the paint on my wife's Golf. (Saturday is my car day.) Once I've done that I'll be hunting for my next victim! I have tunnel vision!