PDA

View Full Version : noobie to wet sanding

cadd
04-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok guys/ gals...Please enlighten me on this wet sanding technique. I have watched quite a few videos on youtube and other web sites on wet sanding. What I dont understand is..if you are taking off clear coat to eliminate the scratch, then how do you get the shine back into the pain if you have taken off the some of the clear coat off. I really am interested in learning this, but I need to understand it completely before trying to do some hands on. Thanks for any help

Dubbin1
04-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Wet-Sanding, Cutting & Buffing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/) ;)

cadd
04-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I checked out that link..but didnt find anything specifically relative to the answer I was looking for. I understand basically that the process is to level out the paint to the scratch ( i think?) lol..but anyway, like I originally was asking, if your taking off the clear coat, how do you get shine back in the paint where the scratch was. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject..but I'm trying.

Fly bye
04-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Polishing the finish smooth will bring back the original luster. When you wet sand, you are essentially instilling millions upon millions of very tiny scratches. This causes the finish to appear dull, or hazy.

You need an aggressive enough polish/compound to remove the millions of scratches instilled by the sandpaper, and then you need to step down to a less aggressive polish to remove the ultra fine scratches that the more aggressive polish/compound instilled and left behind.

Dubbin1
04-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I checked out that link..but didnt find anything specifically relative to the answer I was looking for.

Do some reading in that forum and you will find TONS of info on ALL parts of wet sanding.