PDA

View Full Version : Black spots on finish.

2swifts
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
We have a 2010 Honda CR-V in Urban Titanium Metalic. After coming back from vacation to NC I noticed black spots on the pain near the left front fender. These spots are black and proud of the surface. If viewed with a 20X jewlers loop they are under the clear coat and the clear coat is hazy. There are run marks to these dots. If you use your thumb nail, the spot is lifted out, leaving a pit, the paint and clear coat are quite soft. This paint was treated with two coats of Klear last october and the car is kept very clean. Does anybody have an idea as to what this might be and what caused this, and the best way to remedy this situation?

tempter927
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey, I'm assuming Urban Titanium Metalic is a fairly light silver color which is in contrast to the black spots. Usually black spots are contaminates like road tar or brake dust , how large are the black spots? If they are about the size of a pinhead then claying the paint is the most common remedy. There's a very informative video by Mike Phillips on properly claying your car on this site (click the "Detailing How Tos" link on the right side >>>)

You mentioned pits were left behind, I've never viewed paint with a 20x magnifier so I dont know if typical contaminates will leave pits in the clearcoat.

Do you see any black spots on other areas of your suv? like the back bumper/hood area? If so are they the same as the ones on your left front fender?

richy
04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
I would either use a clay bar (might have to go wiht an aggressive one) or a decontamination system like Valu Guard. (Man I wish AG sold those kits)

Shane731
04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds like mulch spores to me. Did you park anywhere near mulch while you were on vacation? If indeed that is what it is, you should be able to take it off with detail clay.

Mulch Spore Bonded Contaminants - little black dots - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37359)