PDA

View Full Version : Help with drying technique

LuisA
04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
This may be a stupid question and i did a quick search also. I have seen the Adam's Car Wash video on washing and drying. They mentioned to wash the car using proper technique. before drying spray instant detailer all over the car. Then blow water out of hard to reach places then dry car.

why would you put instant detailer on the car before drying. Is it to neutralize the PH on the rinse water? Also can I go over the entire car with an air compressor to get 90% of the water off then go over with a drying towel?

thanks again

Mike Phillips
04-18-2010, 10:58 AM
A quality spray detailer adds slickness and lubricity to a surface so misting a little onto to the car before wiping any standing water off could help by increasing lubricity between the paint and your drying towel.

It can also help the water to release by reducing surface tension.

Plus it can make your paint look shiny by default as it is a spray detailier...

Here's one from 2006...

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&ei=_FMyS7asJ4eYqAKRtYCSDA&q=richard+lin&view=3]How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)[/video]#

:)

Steven C
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Luis proper washing techniqiues is the key . I either use a Leaf Blower or Air compressor to get the water out the hard to reach areas . Then use a Gluzzer MF & a QD to wipe the rest of the car down . I neutalize the water & gives you a little shine & leave the surface slick to the touch. Plus Before washing I'll put a cap full of ONR by Optimuim to the water to minimize spotting as well . If you run the water on your vechile with no nozzleon your hise from top to bottom you'll have less water because the water sheads off and flush more of the soaps this way thush less water to dry off.

LOL

Steven

mcpp66
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Mike, by using the term "Reducing the Potential" instead of "Eliminating the Potential", is that meant to imply that even when using good tools and technique that you shouldn't expect to NOT put in a fine swirl or scratch here and there? In other words, is it realistic to assume that one should be able to completely wash and dry a car and not put ANY fine swirls or scratches in the car?

Bunky
04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Anytime you touch the paint, you have an opportunity to induce marring. If you have a darker car, they are more obvious. It can be a roque piece of debris that is trapped in your mitt or falls on the paint while drying, etc. It is all about reducing... and less about never.

Mike Phillips
04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Mike, by using the term "Reducing the Potential" instead of "Eliminating the Potential", is that meant to imply that even when using good tools and technique that you shouldn't expect to NOT put in a fine swirl or scratch here and there?

Bunky answered your question pretty well...

Anytime you touch the paint, you have an opportunity to induce marring. If you have a darker car, they are more obvious. It can be a rogue piece of debris that is trapped in your mitt or falls on the paint while drying, etc. It is all about reducing... and less about never.

I'll just add that typing on forums for years with personality types that can try to pick you apart over the use of a single word has taught me to pick and choose words very carefully.

You can reduce the potential for a lot of things, you can't 100% eliminate the potential for all things.

It's about you doing what you can with what you can control and you cannot always control everything.

Reducing the potential applies to a lot of things besides just washing a car, for example I think in the wax and paint sealant videos, both or maybe just one I think I said by getting everything as clean as you can you reduce the potential to instill any swirls or scratches when applying either a wax or paint sealant.

I don't know if you can state that you can 100% eliminate the potential but you can do everything in your power to reduce the potential for a lot of things.

I'm going to drive home in a few seconds and on the way I'm going to stop and get some gas for my Jimmy to reduce the potential for running out of gas, then I'm going to grab some dinner to reduce the potential for going hungry. :D

Good question... :xyxthumbs:

p.s.

I think there's a story behind the term reduce the potential and where it came from, I'll have to search to see if I have it written-up somewhere...

:)

LuisA
04-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok so if i was to dry my car using a quick detailer could i still use sealant and wax after or should i not use the QD to when waxing?
thanks again
guys
can't wait to get my foam cannon and other stuff i ordered for this weekend.
hope the weather will hold up and not rain

mcpp66
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I'll just add that typing on forums for years with personality types that can try to pick you apart over the use of a single word has taught me to pick and choose words very carefully.:)

I wasn't trying to pick apart your words......it's just that no matter how careful I am I always seem to introduce a fine swirl or two in my car every time I wash. I just wondered if this happens with regularity for guys such as yourself who are the best at what they do. I think I'm going to have to start going to car shows and see for myself if these show car finishes are as perfect I would think they are or if I can pick out a flaw or two here and there. Perhaps if I start seeing more and more show cars with a swirl or two I won't feel as bad about my car.