PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing and reading a paint thickness gauge

anson89
04-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking to step up my services and purchasing a paint thickness gauge - that way it'll give me an opportunity to wetsand as well.

Honestly, I do not have the funds to a Defelsko Paint Thickness gauge, it's $700. Are there any more alternatives out there that will provide good readings at a lesser cost? I saw some of the forum members here using a High Line Meter II which is about $249.

Also, how does a reading work? I'm assuming between 115 to 134 of microns is safe to work on?

richy
04-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I have the Highline II and love it. As a general rule of thumb, anything over 100 microns is safe; 90-100 is time to be mild with your choice of polish and under 90 I would only use a glaze. It's not worth compromising the clear to chase a scratch at that level. The gauge has saved my butt a few times and on cars that I really did not expect there to be a problem. You will wonder how you ever got on without one when you start to use it...major piece of mind knowing what you can work with.

Rsurfer
04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I have the Highline II and love it. As a general rule of thumb, anything over 100 microns is safe; 90-100 is time to be mild with your choice of polish and under 90 I would only use a glaze. It's not worth compromising the clear to chase a scratch at that level. The gauge has saved my butt a few times and on cars that I really did not expect there to be a problem. You will wonder how you ever got on without one when you start to use it...major piece of mind knowing what you can work with.:iagree:I too have a Highline II and it works great.

anson89
04-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys. The HighLine II reads from 0 to 40 mils? How does that convert to the normal 100+ that we always see?

C. Charles Hahn
04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
I have one of the CenTec PTGs which I picked up from Harbor Freight on clearance for $10. Many who have tried them side by side with other units say they're at least as accurate as the Highline II.

You might want to see if you can still find one at your local store; I picked mine up around Christmas time 2009 and they're all long gone from the HF near me now. They're functionally identical to this unit here:

Coating Thickness Gauge (http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=DTG-500)

5.4 Shelby
04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys. The HighLine II reads from 0 to 40 mils? How does that convert to the normal 100+ that we always see?
They say "micron reading capable" on their website. I have never used one, so I don't know how that works. I am in the market for one, too. Although if my local HF has one on clearance, I will be buying that today.

5.4 Shelby
04-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Went to my local HF this am. No such luck. They were on clearance because they were discontinuing them. None available at local store or online.

If anyone finds one at their local store, buy it and send it to me. I will reimburse your expenses.

cobraa
04-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Does CENTECH read aluminium?

Rsurfer
04-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys. The HighLine II reads from 0 to 40 mils? How does that convert to the normal 100+ that we always see?Most like to read in microns, but Mike P likes to read in mils.

C. Charles Hahn
04-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Does CENTECH read aluminium?

Yes it does.