PDA

View Full Version : XMT3 or Poorboy's 2.5

CharlieC
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I have used XMT 1 and 2 and am quite pleased with the results of my first attempts. The second vehicle was my wife's Explorer and I can't seem to get some scratches (fingernail doesn't hang on them) and other imperfections out. Would you recommend adding the XMT 3 or Poorboy's 2.5 as a stronger polish to my arsenal?

Process on Explorer was:
Wash
Clay
XMT2
XMT1
DP Sealant (old formula I think, but I am very happy)
MaxWax

Also, props to AG...my second order from them included the Pro-Portioner combo. The larger one didn't work and was replaced with no hassle. As stated many times before by others, I can now say AG has earned my future business.

Thanks for your help.

FloridaNative
10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
The XMT 3 is on the same level as 2.5 so you could use either one. :)

ryandamartini
10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
my vote goes to xmt 3. Just seems to finish down into a better shine. The good thing about XMT3 is that it varies greatly on different pads. XMT3 on an orange is excelent for moderate-light while on a yellow, SLICES through defects. Just one pass of xmt3 on a yellow made a VERY noticable different on my 12 year old never waxed hood:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/ryandamartini/IM001158.jpg

I do have some ssr 2.5, and I didnt get anything close to the results xmt gave me.

FloridaNative
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
I really love the XMT 3 too! It finishes WAAAAY down to where it is pretty much LSP ready! :)

MikeyC
10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
:iagree:

XMT #3 is a great polish. I've used both XMT #3 and Poorboy's SSR2.5. Personally, I like #3 better. They both have roughly the same amount of cut and they both smell GREAT (slight edge possibly to the creamsicle like smell of #3). Both have a good amount of working time and they both finish down to a very fine polish leaving an almost LSP ready finish (slight edge again to #3). The big difference comes IMO in the category of dusting. When I was using SSR2.5 it would throw dust all over the place. So much so that I would often need to QD or re-wash the car after polishing. The XMT #3 on the other hand does not dust at all.

One question though, what pads do you have? Keep in mind total abrasive level is a combination of pad and polish abrasive levels. So, the same polish with a more aggressive pad will have more bite.

CharlieC
10-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I purchased the PC/XMT Kit. I think they are the Lake Country pads. 1 orange, 1 white, 2 gray

MikeyC
10-26-2006, 12:11 AM
I purchased the PC/XMT Kit. I think they are the Lake Country pads. 1 orange, 1 white, 2 gray

Hmmm . . . it might be a good idea to get a yellow pad IIRC that's the most aggressive of all the LC pads. I would try that with #2 before moving up to #3.

ScottB
10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
:iagree: :iagree:

The XMT 3 is on the same level as 2.5 so you could use either one. :)

I would however stop at the orange LC pad when possible. I find the yellow to leave alot of micro hazing and must be repolished with lighter polish and pads.

CharlieC
10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll be adding a bottle of XMT #3 to the next order.