PDA

View Full Version : ONR QD/Clay Lube question

sportscarhiatus
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
For those of you who use ONR in a QD or Clay Lube dilution to clay your car...

1) Are you happy with it? compared to other QD's/lubricant?
2) I mixed up a gallon of it, and put some of it in a small spray bottle, and after about 1 week or so, the blue tint has all but now gone away. In other words, it looks clear now, like water. Is this normal? Does this take away from the lubricity or function?

Thanks for the help... I love the ONR QD/lube... it's also very economical.

Rsurfer
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM

2) I mixed up a gallon of it, and put some of it in a small spray bottle, and after about 1 week or so, the blue tint has all but now gone away. In other words, it looks clear now, like water. Is this normal? Does this take away from the lubricity or function?

It's normal, probably the chlorine that kills the color. Should be fine or put another couple cap full if it would make you feel better.

JonMiles
04-15-2010, 10:53 PM

ONR is awesome as a clay lube and as a QD. It is economical, lubricates well, and when claying comes off easily.

About the color change, it happens everytime I mix up more than I need. The lubricity doesn't seem compromised whatsoever. If it bugs you at all, just mix up what you need for the project and then save the rest in the stock bottle for future mixing.

MI Mike
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM

I also find that the ONR is great. Not sure but I have used ONR (old version), and have not had the tint go clear on me. I do mix is with distilled water, not sure if that's the difference. As other have mention, its the coloring that's gone not the effectiveness.

:xyxthumbs:

Irish
04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I've been using it as a QD quite a bit so far, especially with the crazy amount of pollen this year. I feel much better using ONR than FK425 on a dusty car. That's not saying anything to take away from FK425 (which I love as that final wipe product), it's just I have so much confidence in ONR as a cleaner.

Can't recall if I've tried it as a clay lube yet. Still got a half gallon of CG Luber in my cabinet, so I guess I'll say no on that one.

Fly bye
04-16-2010, 10:43 AM
If it bugs you, just add some blue food coloring to the mixture.

sportscarhiatus
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
thanks all... the clear color doesn't bother me, I just wanted to make sure that the functionality/lubrication as a QD/clay lube still remained. I thought with the latest version of ONR they were going to fix the blue dye issue? I guess not?!?!?

CEE DOG
04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
If it bugs you, just add some blue food coloring to the mixture.

:laughing: :iagree:

No problem at all as far as the color change. Mine actually has a slight pink tint to it after it sits. It's all I use for a clay lube.

As far as a QD I haven't used it. I use this Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html) Once diluted it is a good bang for the buck as well.

sportscarhiatus
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM

No problem at all as far as the color change. Mine actually has a slight pink tint to it after it sits. It's all I use for a clay lube.

As far as a QD I haven't used it. I use this Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer Quick Detail Spray, opt quick detailer, spray detailer, waterless wash, instant detail spray (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-instant-detailer-32oz.html) Once diluted it is a good bang for the buck as well.

Oh yeah... I use that Optimum Gloss Enhancer too! I love it. That's extremely slick stuff. I use that for my real QD. I use the ONR dilution for claying since it's still cheaper ;)

DARK HORSE
04-16-2010, 11:15 PM

Hey Corey, You like the pink color? (lol) Have you tried FK-425 yet? (OH YA)!!!!! If not, Remind me if I forget and I'll send ya a care package to try...(once you go pink you'll never go back)!

C. Charles Hahn
04-17-2010, 12:02 AM
ONR is easily one of the best I've used for clay lube purposes. LOVE it in conjunction with the blue ClayMagic bars.

BimmerFerret
04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
I actually was using Mother's QD for awhile, then I ran out during a detail, so I mixed some ONR in a 22oz spray bottle (I actually used the QD bottle) and completed the detail. The ONR actually worked better!